The Saga of Tanya the Evil - Vol. 14 Ch. 40 - Andrew Report: The Massacre of Arene

Fed-Kun's army
@Valdars

based on the newest volume thats out for pre-order,
they fight russia before the war even ends
im going to assume that tanya simply retires after the war

e5d00ad60f27d4a65f501e5a1e991a63.png

Dex-chan lover
This chapter does a good work on demonstrating how "history" is twisted to fit the narrative and fool the masses in believing what the "people in power" wants them to believe.
That so many people never question what they are told even when evidence is shown to them is just a demonstration of how effective that doctrine is and yes I'm talking about IRL here and not only about what is happening in the manga.

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar
Kinda, because if it was just that them the register would still exist but the part of Tanya being 10yo would be redacted, that they don't exist is more evidence to someone being really important or some agreement having being made than that it was because she was a child.

Dex-chan lover
@mahtan
True, they could've just redacted Tanya's age, but any researcher worth their salt would eventually find out who and how old Tanya is, then do the basic maths.

Redacting Tanya's existence would prevent that, but researcher could simply ask "who was the commanding officer for Flight Wing 203?" to anyone who was part of that wing.

Telling the members to never reveal anything about Tanya isn't guaranteed to work, because some might forget or never get the message in the first place. When you've got conflicting reports about some who claim X was the commander, and others who claim 10 year-old Tanya was the commander, people are likely to smell a conspiracy and dig into Tanya. It's easy to find out who was part of 203, and every member of the unit would be considered a valuable source.

Instead, erasing all records of Flight Wing 203 and telling their members they should claim to have been part of a different unit altogether is much safer. Those who forgot or didn't get the message are very likely to be dismissed, because there is absolutely no record that the elusive 203 ever existed. And who's going to believe that a 10 year-old has been in command of a unit that never existed in the first place?

I mean, it's still possible the records were erased by Tanya or a former member of Unit 203, but the evidence so far isn't conclusive enough.

Dex-chan lover
@Ovdose Same, the entire world was against the Empire. I figured the video evidence from Tanya and all them wasn't going to cut it, but they are acknowledging that this particular incident wasn't illegal and that most of the people out in the field were doing as they were told perhaps without all of the information from the top about what it is they were out there to do. It's not a simple matter of black and white, right and wrong. If any of those people disobeyed orders, well now their own country will be out to get them rather than just the enemy combatants.

Legality does not equal morality.

The Empire found a contrived way to legally burn down a city and kill half of its population, but still, they burned down a city and killed half of its population. Just because something is legal, does that make it right? Does that make it justified?

I love how the discussions surrounding this manga really bring what people think about these things. It's actually a bit chilling to see people here defend what The Empire did, then draw parallells to actual events during the real World Wars.

Dex-chan lover
@vedtraed note the fact that tanya only suggested it as a theoretical situation, and the fact that all of the citizens WERE rebeling, to the point where they killed any empire simpaziers, aka the other half of the city died to them

Dex-chan lover
Beautiful and scary explanation, the last part give me chill...

That painting is a Picasso painting of the massacre in Spain if I remember correctly.

@1234muse we saw armed insurgents execute pro-Empire prisoners and civilians, that's a fact. We saw civilians rebelling and starting riots, that's also a fact.

Was it stated anywhere that half of the population (in any large city that would be an enormous number) was made up of armed insurgents? Was it stated anywhere that they were going to kill the entire other half of the population? Did we even see the insurgents carry out a massacre on that scale?
No, nowhere.

Exaggerations and assumptions like those are incredibly dangerous, and have led to horrific events in real life. Innocent lives were already being taken in Arene, but The Empire turned it into a full-scale massacre, killing anyone who remained in the city center indiscriminately. It was a cold, rational decision from their point of view, minimizing their own losses while protecting their war effort. But from a moral point of view, it was a disproportional response unlike anything The Empire had carried out before.

Proportionality is considered carefully in modern, real-life warfare today. If you read the news, you probably know about the recent incident where Iran shot down an unmanned US drone. The US considered a large-scale counterattack, but ultimately decided against it, since killing dozens (or maybe even hundreds) of humans was seen as a disproportional response to a shot-down flying robot.

I love how the empire is seen as the nazis in this manga ... the plot of the story in this case is that the empire was attacked 1st

awesome

@Genoshock I think quite the opposite. This manga is very light on the nationalism aspects, and there has been practically no xenophobia shown at all. The similarities to Nazi Germany are just aesthetic, at most. The other nations are more concerned with the military might of The Empire, and who can blame them for being mad over getting their asses handed to them.

However, the events of the recent chapters might be the turning point.

@Vedtraed not sure how much the anime followed the manga as i recently rediscovered the manga for this ... but ...
the other guys get their butts kicked up one side and down the other

Dex-chan lover
@Vedtraed ok fine, so I assumed something, but if they didn't kill the other half of the population what happened to them, cause we know they didn't escape

@1234muse why would they even kill the other half of the population? We don't know how many insurgents there were. We don't even know how many Empire sympathizers there were in Arene, nor how many that opposed The Empire (judging by the riots, there was probably a substantial number opposing).

What we DO know, is that Arene was shelled with explosive rounds, engulfing the entire city in flames, while civilians escaping the chaos were shot indiscriminately.
Quote from this very manga chapter:
"On that day, half of the citizens of Arene were killed based on confirmed numbers alone"

So it is probably safe to assume that anyone who didn't manage to take shelter or escape, was killed in the following massacre at the hands of The Empire.

Users who are viewing this thread