The Saga of Tanya the Evil - Vol. 18 Ch. 52 - The Intervention Which Was Too Late III

So good, thanks for the chapter.

Everytime this updates I stay up late reading my favorite old chapters or other military fiction, and this time is no different lol.

Dex-chan lover
@SpaceFootballKing
Neumann was previously impaled and self destructed during the retreat from the Rhine but was healthy enough to fly back and still remain in active duty
Yeah, after Tanya used her miracle Type 95 and healed/reenergized everyone. Did you somehow miss out on chapter 42? This exact same phenomenon was done in exactly the place you're complaining about.
Ch 42 Pg 5:
"My fatigue... no, even my injuries from Arene are disappearing!"
"My body feels like it's on fire. It's like mana is flooding out of my body!"
"Neumann!! Are you alright!?"
"My wounds...!? The bleeding has stopped...!!"
The 95 is indeed literally a miracle of god but that's an established thing in the story. Her wing wasn't shrugging off damage, her second in command was knocked out of the picture in Arene and still suffering from the wounds in the retreat.

And keep in mind: they lose. That's established from the beginning. In fact a huge interesting theme of this series is that Vianto is in some ways correct, that no single soldier, no matter how strong and blessed, no matter how many tactical battles they win, can triumph against overwhelming strategic odds. Indeed victory itself can be a trap, because war is only useful for political ends and military gains can be frittered away by political missteps. Failure can be non-linear. And technological advantages, while very valuable, are also very tenuous. You're seeing the Empire's high point right now, similar in spirit to our world's World Wars.

@mahtan

While they have stayed as a defensive war, there are certain lines they’ve crossed that will naturally be looked down on. One of the cases was the killing of many innocent civilians on a technicality, in which the Empire manipulated into being (it’s a gray area when it happens naturally, but clearly on the darker side when it’s done on purpose).

I’ve forgotten how the war started, but the Empire wouldn’t have a good first impression if they started it (even if it was for conquest, land, or resources; starting a war takes some initiative). Doesn’t help that Tanya keeps giving suggestions that even frighten some of the Empire’s higher ups.

Dex-chan lover
he punched her with his severed hand, that is pretty damn cool

@RunaVolkov if you're talking about the city Tanya bombed then that's bullshit. they weren't civilians they were enemy combatants, enemy combatants that were given the chance to surrender. doesn't matter if they were civilians the day before as soon as they picked up weapons and started fighting the empire and started executing empire prisoners they because enemy combatants.

Dex-chan lover
@RunaVolkov
One of the cases was the killing of many innocent civilians on a technicality
It's very arguable that it wasn't just a "technicality" since the Francois were the ones who broke the rules first. The Francois purposefully incited, armed and militarized the Arene civilians with the explicit intent of using them as shields, believing the Empire would feel tied up. That itself was a blatant violation of the rules of war, and such things are generally quid pro quos. IRL it is a violation for an attacker to bomb a hospital for example. But that's dependent on defenders also obeying that and not using hospitals a military bases. "Laws of War" aren't a magic shield, they're mutually agreed upon ways to stop a race to the bottom in all side's interests. But if defenders go ahead and make a bunker and garrison troops in the basement then say "nyah nyah can't get us because there are patients above us", well some countries might try to hold back anyway if they can afford to. But can't act shocked if they don't.

I’ve forgotten how the war started
Legadonia started it with a border violation (c14 pg20), it's an important plot point that everyone was really pissed at them but didn't want them to fall for realpolitik reasons. And just like in WW1, webs of treaties, lack of trust, perceived national interest, and nobody really understanding how modern industrialized war would change things, slowly sucked in more and more players. World War wasn't ultimately in anyone's interest, it was stupid, but humanity does stupid stuff sometimes.

Of course history is written by the winners and the Empire lost, though maybe they managed a negotiated surrender (not a spoiler genuinely speculating, LN doesn't go that far yet so who knows how the final will play out). A lot of details of the war were covered up, remember we saw records of Arene destroyed by Kingdom intelligence agents because of the propaganda issue. The commies of course did enormous amounts of propaganda too, and so did the Allies (Tanya and her wing's existence seems to have been wiped from the official records). The Empire got vilified, though that's pretty normal in war.

Dex-chan lover
Using your severed arm to do a rocket punch? Why wasn't this in the anime? lol.

Fed-Kun's army
95-type is really overpowered. Tanya should use it more for that reason and the god songs.

Double-page supporter
I went and took a look at the anime and imma say this outright they did really bad the music was the best I’d ever heard their artists and characters designers deserve to be executed for crimes against the art world

Users who are viewing this thread