The Spark in Your Eyes

i'm honestly surprised seeing so many people dislike the FL, i think she's pretty refreshing and her trauma is believable and shows in appropriate ways. she's flawed and that's why i like her. her dynamic with the ML is great too. and i love the story concept! it's so new, i'm happy to see a fantasy manhwa that isn't isekai! thank you for translating this series!

So... 5 chapters in and I already don't like the FL or I'm worried about the scenes the FL is in. It's mainly small things, but I think it says a lot since she's the main female lead and all. I've only been introduced her for such a short period of time and most of her scenes kind of irk me, I'm a bit worried with how the rest of the story goes.
I'm mainly worried because:
I thought the beginning of her introduction was cool like the witch thing, the sun god/goddess(btw I can't figure out which it is?? Like they drew it as a male god in the prologue and now they're a female goddess?? But whatever maybe the deity can switch gender or they're no gender), the illness/curse/disease/affliction or whatever, her short appearance with the mask, but it just kind of went down hill from there? Maybe it's not the FL specifically but all her scenes seemed kind of dumb compared to the ML?

I can give a pass on the tragic painful past thing (although I think the least of your problems in war is being called a witch and a monster by enemy soldiers<-- I really hope that's not the main problem or the reason that will be mainly used) cause ptsd. I'm going to assume everyone calls her a monster or witch or something and it's her trigger word and she was brought up to be some kind of killing machine.

"The I recognize you because of your eye similarities" seems kind of ???. I get probably the parents of the ML was friends/special/close with the witch, but the ML and the parents of the ML (who gave him those eyes) better have some kind of rare eye color or something. Blue/grey eyes better be rare among both sides of the war to be able to be recognized from just that. Seriously is there no other northerner or character who has those eyes is this some kind of rare genetic disorder? They better be pretty dang distinct, otherwise this was just some plot armor because the witch just HAPPENED to be right. The only other reason where I'd think to explain why she sounds so ignorant is because she's sheltered/isolated despite fighting a war with a bunch of people and against a bunch of people.

But I could ignore and forgive the above.

The main problem was in Ch5. I think this scene was supposed to show more of her personality/struggles/dynamic/intentions/rules to make her seem more cunning or something but she basically blames the female knight because the knight brought in an outsider, but I'm like smh you were the one who ordered her to in Ch2 when you were having that night seizure. What happened to that??? Did both those characters suddenly suffer a small state of amnesia cause the knight be acting all guilty and giving her some kind of excuse was bs?? Wait tell her what knight??? SHE WAS THE ONE WHO TOLD YOU TO BRING THE NORTHERNER WHO MADE THE MEDICINE? I think this was supposed to be some kind of defining scene with more info but it seems kind of botched up, like none of that conversation made any sense? Is this some kind of translation error or am I missing something??? Did the author forget that happened?? The issue is this kind of also gives me a hint with how possibly the rest of the storytelling/plots/character's memories are going to go.

The only thing that was ?? about the ML or the scene he was in was not get that the FL was clearly not a maid with how she was dressed with their first encounter. The maid at the SAME night was in uniform/attire that was clearly different-- but I can give this a pass if maybe the maid was on night duty (that's why the maid was in uniform) or the ML couldn't tell because he was a commoner and isn't used to how rich servants dress. The night/too dark to see excuse doesn't work really work for me when he clearly recognized her in the day time, he bandaged her wound(you don't do that if it's too dark to see), noticed a wound on her hand, and there seemed to be enough light from the door but whatever I can still give it a pass-- BUT THEN AGAIN THE FL WAS ALSO IN THAT SCENE IS SHE CURSING ALL THE SCENES OR SOMETHING???

So I'm mainly curious if it gets better if I continue on? Or it's just going to get worse from here or stay about the same?

The FL is a product of her environment, and can choose to become a better person if shown the way. Why y'all hating so much lol.

Being forced to commit war crimes is pretty traumatic imo.

@chisomito the eye similarity thing...you'd be surprised what people remember /recognize. Someone I had met only once before said they found me in the crowd because they recognized the back of my head. Like what lol

@toomanywords I dunno I'm a bit skeptical when people say that, because I've known some people who would say or do those things but they actually found out where I was going/at/found me through a friend, social media, or passing conversation. Sometimes yes you run into someone on a coincidence and they recognize you, but mmmm. Cause I've also had people come to me and go like "oh I thought you were someone else" or go "are you related to so and so" and I'm like no. Those question happen pretty often too with strangers and about people I don't know/aren't remotely related to. The only thing I'd be like maybe for the recognition are actions more. Apparently I also have this unique way of walking and running so people can recognize me from afar (can't tell if this is an insult or compliment too when people say that-- makes me a bit self conscious about it), but otherwise like features seem pretty unreliable to me especially when there are people who are blood related or related and they don't look similar at all. Unless it's pretty pretty unique I guess I don't know mmm.

*Oh and the people who told me I have this unique way of walking/running were my long time close friends whom I've known for at least a year/years.

Although maybe I'm also just unromantic (it has occurred to me lol). I've had too much a taste of reality.

I LOVE this FL. I have only seen secondary characters in shounens with FL's traits, so much so I was thinking of just writing something of my own. She's super honest and upfront and I relate to her a bunch.
16 ch in I'm looking forward to this story, i see that the author is setting up lots of mysteries and I'm all for it. Hope it won't drag out to infinity.

@Chisomito Yeah people can be deceived by similar appearances but also people have been able to recognise robbers through just the eyes in a mask and single them out extremely accurately so there’s that. But that may just be anecdotal evidence so there isn’t much to back it up with without doing a google search that I can’t be bothered to do.

@CyclonePr1me Yeah apparently people can remember 5000 faces?? But the remembrance drops per hour, but it's just a bit of a hm specifically for it isn't even the same person but someone related to the person. Like I've watched match kid to parents for line up/cut on youtube and I'm like yeah that sounds about right with how people guessed, but I guess it could also depend on the person guessing/recognizing too...? Dunno again it seems pretty unreliable especially with how many people there are on the planet. There's what also people who imitate people or actually just look similar/are born with the same/similar features that aren't remotely related. What people call doppelgangers?

*** also we're talking about color here too(and maybe presumably shape). I say the eye color has to be pretty dang unique. It's like if I went up to someone and went like "oh man your brown eye color is so familiar," and then I go like you must be anne hathaway's kid cause same brown colored eyes. Meanwhile we have a bunch of other celebrities and non celebrities with brown colored eyes. See how it doesn't work if the feature/color is common. Like other things do this because it's rare like something like oh only royal family has blonde hair. Or only so and so prophecy has this color eyes and this color hair. So you know it's rare and unique- obviously not common and can be drawn to conclusions or used as fact. That's also why I said I can give it a pass if so that, but if not it's like what??? Then it must be the FL really is kind of ignorant and I can go like maybe because she was isolated if I go with that assumption(so I'd still give that a pass), but it's fair to go like yeah she's pretty dim.

Supporter
what? people dislike Kaia/Hildegar? or was that just an early chapters thing?
though I didn't dislike her even in the earlier chapters

anyway great char

got cursed because you butchered a bunch of healers didnt ya?
first god in a manga that i actually happen to like

So far, the rate of reveal in the story is well-paced and the world-building feels like it has had more thought put into it than others I've seen of this genre. Also, the art is fantastic. The characters we've seen so far have depth, and their motives are understandable. Not very much romance yet, but I'm totally okay with that. The set-up is interesting enough that I want to know more about what's at stake for the characters in the future.

i’m intrigued by the female leads character. she’s what the ML is usually in historical/isekai stories, where they’re ruthless knights who kill and have a dark past and trauma. i have a feeling that she never really experienced warmth or love growing up and instead was made to kill for the king etc. i’m curious to find out what’s the cause of her illness and the whole mystery of what happened

Idky ppl would hate the FL like I’m tired of these goody two shoes females like that shit is just fake to me. We need more ruthless bad btches who can also have a good side and be more realistic

Wait, people actually don't like the FL? Well it seems to be the minority opinion so I won't give it much thought, but FL is literally how MLs usually go in other manhwas. The war hero, traumatized, some of them outright tyrannical. Yet I don't see ppl hating him. Plus FL isn't even cruel or sadistic in like, an evil way; it's clear that it's a product of her environment. Kind of a double standard if you ask me.

@Narylenitee I read your comment before actually reading this, so I was always noticing that if we reversed Elkin's and Hildegar's gender we'd have a pretty standard shoujo with the saint FL and the cold ML.
And how can people already dislike her? So far we don't know much about her, she's still a mysterious character. I like that she keeps saving him for her very own selfish reasons, it feels realistic, and it's a lot better than the whole "for some reason I'm drawn to you" that this kind of stories tend to use.

Aggregator gang
The only people I care about are Elkin, Anetta, and the Lindemans in that order.

Fck everybody else lmfao bunch of colonizers.

Anyway this is interesting story wise.

Users who are viewing this thread