The Tyrant's Sister

Ares made a big oopsie huh 😅😂
Thanks for the translation!
Lancelot is such a sweetheart srsly~~

oooh she snapped

not that i blame her. i was really angry reading what happened. and just when her little brother was starting to realise he really hurt her, the asshole duke told him, “ no, don’t feel bad. you did nothing wrong (because if you did that would mean i also did something wrong and i should feel bad. my not wanting to admit i was wrong or feel guilty is more important than having to admit i hurt someone else and needing to make things right)”

Thank you for the update!!
I wish whe would end up with Lancelot!!! 😭💔 I'm so sad because this won't happen...

JGJ

The Male lead is an asshat, for once why can't she pick the good guy who treats her like she deserves? Lancelot is the only good guy in this webtoon.

@Ultrabenosaurus
I actually signed up for an account on MangaDex and waited 24 hours just to give you hearty agreement and let you know you're not the only one to realize - it was definitely rape in chapter one. I binge-read the series elsewhere with plenty of comments, but nobody remarked upon it so it's good to know I'm not crazy. It's pretty clear, especially with the sequence of events clearly broken down, as you showed.

Page 9: she tells him to stop
Page 12: he pushes her down
Page 13: he commands her to stop resisting
Page 14: his hand is in hers, holding her down from above
Pages 15-16: she tries talking to him, he ignores her and does ~something~ that makes her moan - rape or something else sexual
Page 20: she says that he hurt her during that ~something~, a sign of being forced
Pages 34-36: she wants to leave, he doesn't let her
Pages 50-53: he admits lying about his identity while looking for a girl to sleep with

Plenty of "romantic" Chinese manhua start off with random rape that the fandom accepts and moves on. Living as a Tyrant's Older Sister seems to be patterned after those series, especially with the evil stepsister, rude servants, evil royal advisers and all that. Ares is just like all those CEOs and princes minus the convenient aphrodisiac. Not to mention his stalking antics in the first few chapters.

Plenty of people have noted he's a complete jerk, but few have mentioned the most glaring incident right from the start of the series. Just in case anyone's confused, "No" means "No," "Stop" means "Stop" and "I don't want to see you any more" means "I don't want to see you any more."

And just in case someone says "if you don't like it, don't read it," nah, nobody said that. If we can read CEO manhua, we can read this one (whether we should or not is another matter). I'm just baffled to see some people treating Ares like the usual misunderstood puppydog hero when he's anything but. I'm so bummed that Lancelot is real and a totally decent guy so far. What a waste...

@AnimefangirlX thank you. I stopped checking these comments when it became clear no one else understood consent. They all seem to think that if the guy doesn't beat the girl and tie her down then it isn't rape. They don't realise that consent can be revoked *at any point* and if the other person continues then *it is rape*. Just because she isn't kicking and screaming doesn't erase the fact she asked him to stop and he didn't.

I really worry about the state of sexual education in schools, looking at the comments here. Being uncertain (as in her saying "let's stop" instead of "I do not want to have sex with you") is clearly not saying "yes" therefore it is not consent and it does revoke previously given consent; it shows she isn't certain that she wants it, therefore her partner cannot assume that she wants it. Anything except absolute confirmation is not consent, and anything that follows is rape or sexual assault.

There's a pretty great video about consent from a British police force which uses tea as an analogy; everyone in this thread should go watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwvrxVavnQ

I love this so much, idk why it took me so long to start reading this series.

@Ultrabenosaurus
Excellent video. Short and easy to understand (kind of ruins the cup of tea I was drinking tho...😅). I'll keep the link handy for future discussions since there's so much confusion around this issue.

As a bonus, the video also addresses the issue of unconsciousness, which is an issue that bothers me and no-one else in the other "had a one-night stand with the ML" Korean series. Because he turns out to be hot afterwards, no one has a problem with the fact that the person was blanked out drunk and incapable of consenting. It's not romantic, it's rape.

Perhaps the video should also be translated into Chinese, Japanese and Korean and widely disseminated there so the authors can find better ways to get the ML and FL together.

BTW, on the topic of chapter one, there's no uncertainty in this particular case. Ares was pretty clear that she wanted him to stop, since he repeats her request to stop on page 10. He heard her saying stop all right, he just decided "nobody could possibly not want to sleep with me" or whatever it is that rapists think.

@AnimefangirlX
That's the thing about Chinese manwhas in the name of smut apparently rape is ok. Misogyny is ok, being controlling is ok.
NO IT ISN'T
I hate Chinese manwha for the exact reason, for example the manwhas on mangatoon they pissed me off to a great extent. The ml was controlling, obsessive and a down right dick infact it's in a lot of mawhas. not to mention the inconsisties just to get the ml and fl together. OK so he spreads bad rumours about her and then he forces her to get married to her because he's so powerful and rich no one dare question his wife. after they get married she's sitting on a bed and he corners her, fl is clearly uncomfortable with his advances so, him folding her hands down and every thing, so she kicks him (in the balls) he proceeds to hold her by the neck and slam her down telling her "how dare you do that to your husband". first of all how could he do that, second fl is strong enough to throw chairs across a restaurant window damaging mls car in the process

another one was where fl was the heiress to a company but misogynistic father took in some kid and before dying made him the heir. And under his control she had to use her body, she refused to eat when he didn't let her go outside. He said shit like "she was just like a doll. I want her to be a doll" and "she still has some common sense and rationality left in her, how come… I've clearly changed her syllabus so she doesn't learn much "
and the comment section was full of how the ml is so handsome and is so nice to fl but she's being a brat
unacceptable
hey and do you want to know the end
the fl falls in love with ml and says "I should've known better, Samsung was always looking out for me. he's the one I love"
No bitch, Just NO. I would have been ok with the story if it was a psychological thing but it was titled romance . Ps: I know the ending because of a screenshot and some one posting a heart eyes emoji saying "yess finally"
it's absolutely disgusting how people are accepting shit like this

@clop4clip
Heh heh, those sound dreadful, but par for the course for Chinese manhua. Sooo many where the ML doesn't go as far as rape but harasses, assaults, threatens and molests the female lead. I remember one where the female character randomly walked into her kitchen at 2am and the male lead tried to rape her. Just because. I think it was called "Mr. Fu's favorite" or something, but don't go looking for it.

Actually, there's a whole genre of the stuff in English 'literature' as well. They're known as "bodice rippers" and they've been around for decades (https://www.racked.com/2017/10/31/16507794/bodice-rippers). Even now we still have bestsellers like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey with the heroine falling in love (?) with all kinds of shady guys. I don't fully understand the appeal, but these kinds of series have their fans. Passionate ones.

So I'm pretty much just calling for more genre awareness for this particular series. Ares is not the usual "cold but beautiful prince/duke/CEO" kind of character, he's a rapist💩. I was miffed that no one else seemed to see it, but now that others are equally aware, that's... better? At least I'm not alone.

Users who are viewing this thread