These Two Will Be Married In 100 Days - Ch. 75 - Day 75

Dex-chan lover
I'm retarded.
Why can't they exactly just go back and write the deleted line again? How does it exactly work?

i see so he just deleted everything from the customers cause he forgot to erite a condition to just delete the test ones...

@Midoriha : He deleted the entire database with that line and SQL doesn't have an undo button unless you notify it to not write changes to the database immediately

Supporter
@Midoriha

it's more likely that he may have run that line.
if he ran it, and it was on a live server, he just deleted an entire database of customer information.
even with backups, there's information lost.

alternatively, if that line was part of regular code and he removed it, it may have caused an information overflow.
think of it like a glass of water.
information is poured in, and every now and then some is poured out (deleting an old copy of the database to make room for the new copy)
if info keeps coming in and none is deleted, the glass overflows, and systems crash.

Fed-Kun's army
@Midoriha
Because that's how a table work in a database. When you delete from it (and commit the deletion) then the data simply ceases to exist. And you cannot rewrite, say, 10k customers with potentially personal data such as address, phone number, mail address, card information, ... (well, depending on the model, it's not necessarily in the same table, but that's another story ^^; ). Besides, said data is linked to other table in the model, which were not wiped. Is "new customer id 1" linked to "old customer id 1" ? Did we type customers in the same order ? The situation depicted in the manga is a nightmare to live.
That's why any company has (or should have at least ^^; ) backups. These backups are usually a copy of the base at a given date, so some data loss is still in effect (mainly any modification you did between the backup and the deletion).
When the guy says he'll "do something about it", he most likely is going to get the backup and restore the base.

@Midoriha Last chapter, he ran a command to delete data from the "tbl_Customer" database. Usually, you'd write
Code:
DELETE FROM table WHERE <some condition>
to specify which data to delete, but he just ran
Code:
DELETE FROM tbl_Customer
, which erases the entire database. If they don't have a backup somewhere, this company is in big trouble.

well i think he should not have permition to this, couse the normal thing to do is use "views" for specific lines like this

Group Leader
Newly wed engineer it's NASA lolll, is he gonna do some forensic computer science thing that I'm not aware about? I personally don't know any way to restore the data from the table

he didn't delete the entire database, only the customers table. which is presumably still catastrophic.

Dex-chan lover
as someone that dont understand coding (though i'm interested), can somebody explain me all this situation? I understood he erased all the script of something, but i still dont get it :(

Fed-Kun's army
@Pibata
He ran a command and hard deleted a SQL table with businesss critical customer data.

Users who are viewing this thread