Tokidoki Bosotto Roshia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san - Ch. 32 - That's Not It (1)

Dex-chan lover
Love boobs love sisterly bonding. Masha has A-tan energy and thus I'm forced to root for her. Sorry Alya, settle for shimaidon pls before Yuki comes in with a steel chair.

Dex-chan lover
Anime begins in April 2024. I look forward to this half Russian girl speaking her Russian with the thickest possible Japanese accent imaginable.

I get that unlike the west, Japan doesn't have really anything at all for an immigrant/diaspora population from which to draw lineages where someone might speak a non-East-Asian language as a secondary tongue. The chances of them finding a young actress with Russian or similar ancestry who learned the language growing up and thus doesn't have a beginner's accent is close to zero. But it's always funny seeing a Japanese work where a character who's "half-X" pops up and they look 100% Japanese, sound 100% Japanese, and act 100% Japanese while the show loudly insists that they aren't in a way that makes you aware that they know damn well that they failed to reach sufficient suspension of disbelief and want you to go with it.

Dex-chan lover
Tbh that sounded like big sis is saying you better hurry up or ima make a move and thanks for the chapter

Dex-chan lover
I really don’t like her anymore. Let’s pretend our MC can’t speak Russian for a second, she just hopes he can mind read her every intention. She is never honest.

Imagine trying to have a conversation with her, and all of a sudden she just starts speaking in Russian instead of answering you, still speaking out loud to you directly but she intentionally doesn’t want you to understand what she says. Uhhhh okay. That’s pretty rude but alright?

But imagine her doing this all the fucking time. Over everything, everything is hidden behind a mask, and you have to try and mind read her to figure out her true intentions.
If I actually was interacting with a person like this I would not even notice those things. Earlier chapters she is saying stuff off handedly and not actually while facing him and in a conversation. It just goes in one ear and out the other if you don't understand it or the context. If he didn't understand (like she thinks) he would be just hearing her say random things to herself every once in a while and why would he care? She could be talking to herself about what she wants to eat for all he knows.

The only time she actually spoke in russian directly to his face was the confession. It's not like she is doing it all the time.

Dex-chan lover
Anime begins in April 2024. I look forward to this half Russian girl speaking her Russian with the thickest possible Japanese accent imaginable.

I get that unlike the west, Japan doesn't have really anything at all for an immigrant/diaspora population from which to draw lineages where someone might speak a non-East-Asian language as a secondary tongue. The chances of them finding a young actress with Russian or similar ancestry who learned the language growing up and thus doesn't have a beginner's accent is close to zero. But it's always funny seeing a Japanese work where a character who's "half-X" pops up and they look 100% Japanese, sound 100% Japanese, and act 100% Japanese while the show loudly insists that they aren't in a way that makes you aware that they know damn well that they failed to reach sufficient suspension of disbelief and want you to go with it.
On that note, I'm actually quite impressed with the german pronunciation in the Frieren anime. Only major gripe I've had so far is with the way they said Übel in today's episode (and likely the next few to come). Sounded more like they were saying "you bell" or something along the line.
But yeah, most of the time you can barely recognize the "original" language.

Dex-chan lover
On that note, I'm actually quite impressed with the german pronunciation in the Frieren anime. Only major gripe I've had so far is with the way they said Übel in today's episode (and likely the next few to come). Sounded more like they were saying "you bell" or something along the line.

One of the last Godzilla movies (the Japanese ones) had a character in it that was supposed to be the "half-Japanese" daughter of the American President or Vice President or something like that. Born and raised wholly in America and very American in her behaviors and whatever.

She was played by a 100% Japanese actress, spoke all her English lines incredibly stilted with a thick enough accent that they were mostly indecipherable, and her behavior was like 80% Japanese and 20% "she's a bit of a jerk by Japanese standards" with things like not using honorifics or blowing off the people she's talking to so she can make a decision herself instead of acting harmonious with the group. So she wasn't even like a Japanese stereotype of an American. She was just a slightly rude Japanese woman who spoke terrible English.

Dex-chan lover
The Anime will have an amazing first season ending with the fireworks and then boom, when season two starts, and all that progress gets erased. They were pretty much about to confess at that firework festival, and seemingly now a few months later, she doesn’t even know if she has feelings for the guy? Seriously?

I feel bad for the anime fans, because this keeps happening to them. They have a really strong start and the romance blooms but then it just gets put on hold because the author doesn’t want them to start dating until the very end for some reason.

And because of this it’s becoming a trope to introduce a new girl the second the new season starts because then you can show the chase all over again with a different person, instead of having the romance progress to dating, but they in turn NTR the shit out the original love interest to push her forward while not making any progress whatsoever

Dex-chan lover
I really don’t like her anymore. Let’s pretend our MC can’t speak Russian for a second, she just hopes he can mind read her every intention. She is never honest.

Imagine trying to have a conversation with her, and all of a sudden she just starts speaking in Russian instead of answering you, still speaking out loud to you directly but she intentionally doesn’t want you to understand what she says. Uhhhh okay. That’s pretty rude but alright?

But imagine her doing this all the fucking time. Over everything, everything is hidden behind a mask, and you have to try and mind read her to figure out her true intentions.
I say the majority of women should already know by now that most, if not all men are pretty dense about a girl's feelings toward them, and yet they expect them to read their mind.

Soon enough, if it hasn't happened already, it isn't because men are dense, they just don't want to deal with women's bullshit.

Dex-chan lover
If I actually was interacting with a person like this I would not even notice those things. Earlier chapters she is saying stuff off handedly and not actually while facing him and in a conversation. It just goes in one ear and out the other if you don't understand it or the context. If he didn't understand (like she thinks) he would be just hearing her say random things to herself every once in a while and why would he care? She could be talking to herself about what she wants to eat for all he knows.

The only time she actually spoke in russian directly to his face was the confession. It's not like she is doing it all the time.

Thats a gimme I can’t give because MC secretly understands Russian and that dramatic irony changes everything. If she spoke Russian because she didn’t know the English translation, that’s a completely different thing. We know she uses Russian to secretly say things out loud she doesn’t want people to understand, for whatever reason she does it.

It doesn’t matter if it’s based on anxiety, that doesn’t give anyone a free pass to be rude during a conversation like that. If you start speaking to someone and they begin “talking to themselves” that’s also super rude

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover

Thats because fantasy authors tend to borrow other languages since not everyone is like J.R.Tolkien that created a entire language, Japanese authors seem to pick up German I guess because written it looks like alien enough, it isnt set in Germany and so expecting then speaking perfect German is a far too much, there are limits.

I think people have some rather strange ideas about things, anime is not something that sells well to begin outside ... well runaway hits such as Demon Slayer, its a incredible risk and costs per episode arent like in NetFlix were they just throw money at it, costs are low not because of all the usual idiots talking about VA and producers costs but rather sales arent high making very hard to sink say half a million per episode when the entire sales arent going to reach that point, not to say are you really going to cast people because of their German pronunciation over their voice acting ability? The vast majority of the audience wont care about how they (non-German) are going to pronounce her name (also non-German) in what certainly isnt Germany. I understand many names are German but at the same time that isnt Germany ...

Supporter
Yes, more progress please! She loves him, she just has to admit it and not be afraid! No shot he'd reject her lmao.
Her feelings are in chaos right now. She can't even confess to herself; what possible way would there be for her to confess to him?

Supporter
The Anime will have an amazing first season ending with the fireworks and then boom, when season two starts, and all that progress gets erased. They were pretty much about to confess at that firework festival, and seemingly now a few months later, she doesn’t even know if she has feelings for the guy? Seriously?

I feel bad for the anime fans, because this keeps happening to them. They have a really strong start and the romance blooms but then it just gets put on hold because the author doesn’t want them to start dating until the very end for some reason.

And because of this it’s becoming a trope to introduce a new girl the second the new season starts because then you can show the chase all over again with a different person, instead of having the romance progress to dating, but they in turn NTR the shit out the original love interest to push her forward while not making any progress whatsoever
To be fair, the source material builds in a really strong reason for the 2LI emerging regardless of whether or not Alya might be ready to be completely honest with both herself and Masachika by the time summer break ends (frankly, it's strong enough that they should be considered co-LIs at the point where a second season would likely wrap).

Keep in mind also that Alya at the point you note is desperately afraid that he'll move on to his next life quest once the election wraps up and she sees no possibility of holding on to him regardless of any action she might take because she's not valuable enough. There's terrible emotional self-worth issues on both sides of that pairing to where they shouldn't really be considering relationships with anyone, let alone each other.

The thing you note doesn't happen everywhere, though. In the last year, we've seen stuff as completely different as BokuYaba and Nagatoro avoid that kinda bait-and-switch and there's stuff like Class de 2-banme coming soon that puts a completely different spin on the trope.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread