Tonikaku Kawaii - Vol. 12 Ch. 117 - Love is a lot better in a dark, narrow space

Liu

@selayar
Imagine if we were to live in an infinitely wide space. if you put each star 100000000000000000000000000 light years away from each other, since the space is infinite, the number of star would also be infinite. But there would be a huge distance gap between each star, meaning that there would be dark gaps between each stars you see in the nightsky. So the nightsky wouldn't be filled with stars.

On the other hand, if you put 1 light year between each star, they'd be super close to each other. So the nightsky would be filled with stars.
What I meant to say is that what quagzlor said depends on the "infinite" Nasa used for both stars and universe. This is why Nasa's sentence was confusing to me.

@selayar
Actually you simply misunderstood. Light don't travel in an instant. It travels at little less then 300 000 000 m/s. While known science mark it as limit how fast something can move, expansion of universe can surpass that.

First
Because light is not instant, it doesn't matter how big universe is, it's 13.8 billion years old or around 435 196 800 000 000 000 seconds old. That would give as max view distance of 130 559 040 000 000 000 000 000 000 m or 13,800 billion light-years. And you must understood that at that distance we see what was there 13.8 billion years ago. If at that distance is another Sun that was created 4,5 billion years old it will still take 9,3 billion years until we see it.

Stars that are further then that can't be seen because even if they were created at beginning of universe theirs light didn't yet arrived where we are.

And as i mentioned expansion of universe between points can be greater then speed of light. Because of that there are stars and galaxies that will never be seen, because their light travel slower in our direction then growth of distance between them and earth.

Second
Void is not totally void. There are always some matter in space, and said matter can absorb energy, so over huge distance light can be absorbed. Of course there is very small change of it happening, but there are also Nebulas which can cover what's behind them.

Double-page supporter
@mapokl
I know light doesn't travel in an instant, that's why I said "if". I know we can only observe a portion of the universe called observable universe because of it. What I want to know is, if we live in a different world, where lights travel in an instant, and there are both infinitely many stars and space, would the night sky still be able to be filled with stars?

Thanks to @liu, I could visualize it as if the stars were fractals. Start with a circle, then draw 4 circle a diameter away from it to each side of it (top, down, left, right), with a diameter fourth of the first one. Then continue on for the 4 circle, and so forth. Even with infinite steps, the circle wouldn't be able to fill the space, leaving no gap. Same with the first question, those stars wouldn't be able to fill all the space in the night sky, or at least that how I came to. Maybe I'm wrong.

My understanding is that the expansion of the universe has redshifted distant light way down past the visual spectrum. The wavelengths have been steched out like a slinky getting its ends pulled, and the older the light the longer its been stretched.

Which is good, because otherwise you'd be able to see back to the big bang in full brilliance in every direction and we'd cook into quarks.

Group Leader
All the people here commenting about your science mumbo jumbo. Meanwhile, we cultured individuals are spazzing out about the scary dude's dense chad energy

Ginga is a fucking Jedi. Holy shit he's good.

Also I have a sinking feeling he's gonna end up with Aya, but I really am lining up behind Shirogane. Or the beta couple of Ginga x [REDACTED] ends up in a twisted yet side-snatching parody of DomeKano.

Tertiary pairing is Yanagi x Sensei dude, so lay out your predictions for the quaternary pairing:
-Chitose x Ponytail is quite the plausible one here.

wait, I thought the information distance maximum was what made the sky dark? aka observable universe.

Dex-chan lover
Okay people really need to start saying “I have a crush on you” or “I want to be your lover/significant other/boy/girlfriend” specifically. “I like you” leaves WAY too much open for interpretation, and for that matter so does “I love you”. Both feelings can exist between friends, family members, or as respect, admiration, or looking up to that person. I’ve seen far too many times characters work up the courage only too fall short of the target of their affections density.

@skillrax I don’t know science, but that sounds like it’d be a better setup for a cooler line. Something like how only so many options are within reach or we have to do what we can (idk?). I do know everything (including the universe) is approaching entropy so at the very least the universe isn’t infinite. Isn’t space in its natural state just dark? I’m not understanding how observable distance would come into play(?).

Dex-chan lover
Nasa, you need to brush up on your astronomy. Or your metaphors. Actually, do both.

I was wrong.

Nasa isn't a Hayate, nor is Ginga actually a Koutetsu. Only a Hayate would respond like that.

There's probably just not an infinite amount of stars in the observable universe. If there are an infinite number of stars in the universe beyond it, then would we eventually end up with a brighter sky in the far future?

Users who are viewing this thread