Touge Oni - Vol. 6 Ch. 22 - The Dragon Laments

Dex-chan lover
thank you so much for translating!! def need to reread a bit to remember stuff

ALSO this manga is finally getting officially translated into English physical copies!! preorders are up and itll be released in August. Already preordered a copy for myself :33

Fed-Kun's army
It's finally here! Qt daughter is cute. Also I guess this makes it so that Zen's wish will have to be to get back to earth now that he knows it's impossible for him to lose his horn.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you so much PennyTheater and GreyArea! I absolutely LOVE this manga and I'm over the moon (heh) to see it again. Thank you again!

@sssr Thank you for the explanation. One question though, if the oni pre-existed as well, how do humans become oni through cannibalism? Is the implication that the oni are like spirits that possess people, or is it something else entirely?

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation. This manga speaks to me, and particularly to my love of and fascination with animism. The stuff it's doing with Japanese mythology - incorporating some of the oldest concepts/material into a story - is also super cool. I love it when people do the same stuff with Indo-European mythology, and doing that with Japanese mythology is something that I did not know I needed.

Big props to GreyArea for the TLC he put into his TL. I can easily tell that this requires a lot of obscure knowledge and research to get that knowledge. It also sounds like it requires an appreciation for older dialects of Japanese. You truly spoil us by giving us your effort for free.

I reread this just the other day, because I missed so much, and then a new chapter!! What a blessing! Thanks for the TL and the care with word choice, I can tell from the note, excited to see more in the next one!

Contributor
Tysm! Really appreciate you sticking with this amazing series even though it releases by volume

Dex-chan lover
So Oni is suppose to be something "normal" at first, just another creature living on earth?
I swear man, this ancient philosophical concept of gods always deconstruct my brain.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you so much PennyTheater and GreyArea! I absolutely LOVE this manga and I'm over the moon (heh) to see it again. Thank you again!

@sssr Thank you for the explanation. One question though, if the oni pre-existed as well, how do humans become oni through cannibalism? Is the implication that the oni are like spirits that possess people, or is it something else entirely?
No idea. Wait for next chapter.

Dex-chan lover
thank you so, SO MUCH for continuing this! :thumbsup:

but damn, i feel so bad for Zen right now. i hope eventually he'll get his happy ending :qq:

Dex-chan lover
It's been a long time, but was the thing afflicting Hitokotonushi the same as what affects the Oni?

Because what's happening right now looks like becoming an Oni protects you from [thing], and the desire to consume human flesh might even come from additional instincts to protect the self.

For it to be Mantra, but neither curse nor invocation.....is it the defining of kami that is killing them? It isn't affecting the other kami nearly as much, so the vagueness of worship and scriptures might be serving to obscure or unify perception. But the wish granting tradition only served to let everyone come up with their own speculation and demand that she be "something" in order to fulfill the wish.

Dex-chan lover
I think the oni thing can be thought of as a "system".

The Kami are being that came to earth, probably attracted by the prayers of humanity, whatever they take from those prayers it is just a "system" where energy is transmuted, as powerful as they are they aren't immune to the changes of life or the "authority" of the "system".

The oni are a "system" by itself, one that is exclusively human, and probably has to do with humanity's karma, most probably with only the Japanese karma, at least in the form it takes in this story, as so it is a "system" that is outside of the Kamis influence to such a level that they are forbidden to interfere in any sort of manner.

Only now I noticed... since chapter 21 on the cover Ozuno has a Uber pack... and now he is delivering the treasures to Azuma... that is an expensive Uber XDDDDDD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread