Training Regimes of the World’s Strongest Women - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - Strange Circumstances

Dex-chan lover
unless you're completely new to the language or have never watched an anime before you'd know what Onee-san or Okaa-san means. leaving in honorifics isnt even remotely cringe and it's silly to think so.

also it takes less than 20 seconds to look up what words mean. Are you really so lazy that you cant spend 5 seconds into what -san, -sama, or -dono means?
You wouldn't do something like this if you watched a movie in another language than Japanese. What makes Japanese so special that you should force people to learn words like this?
The answer is nothing.

Dex-chan lover
Hmm, I think the reason he’s class jobless & why he grows too fast is because he can probably do any class training which allows him to gain any skill, someone definitely did for good reason hide his real skill so he doesn’t get evil in the future or someone finds it out the kingdom etc & uses him, maybe I’m just rabbling on
Y'know your theory reminds me a bit of Mega Man X plot, Dr. Wily sealed X in a capsule for a few decades to test his moral compass or something like that, because X had unlimited potential, so he feared he might go rogue and wipe humankind.

It would be neat if it was something like that, but if this was the case either the person who sealed his power made some miscalculations or wanted him to become evil and despise humans because the boy was just taking L after L until he found his three hot masters (and future wives).

Dex-chan lover
You wouldn't do something like this if you watched a movie in another language than Japanese. What makes Japanese so special that you should force people to learn words like this?
The answer is nothing.
What makes Japanese special is that it is the language that you, I, and 99.9% of the people reading the chapters here have spent years gaining a cursory familiarity with. We all know the honorifics by heart, when they are used, what they mean, and what exactly is being conveyed by them above and beyond any attempt at literal translation.

And the reason that we all know this stuff so well is because it is a major part of the cultural setting of all of these settings, even when the settings are on fantasy planets where no one is actually speaking Japanese. We all know about hot springs etiquette, school curriculum, apologizing, anything to do with rice and soy sauce, and most of all, honorifics. Hierarchy and deference are very important in Japanese culture, and to understand what is going on between the characters in a story, we need to understand the nuances of the way they address each other. So it is silly to discard it.

And worse than merely discarding it is attempting to translate it as literally as possible. For the honorifics, there is nothing in English that comes close to even approximating it. Trying to shoehorn "Mr." to cover -san or -sama or even -sensei is laughable. It always sounds awkward and wrong, because of course it is. Worse is when honorifics are paired up with family words. When you see a character saying "Big bro!" it is always cringeworthy because (1) Nobody speaking English actually calls their older brother "big bro" except as a goof, (2) we have no idea whether it was supposed to be a translation of "nii-san", "aniki", "onii-chan" or some other variant, so all that extra information is lost, and (3) if the translator had just written whatever it was supposed to be in the first place, 99.9% of the audience would have understood it perfectly.

The entire purpose of translating a work is to make the story understandable to the target audience. Overcompensatory hyperlocalization is just fine when you are dealing with a broad audience with no deep investment in the source material's origin, like people watching dubbed version of Pokémon or Ghost in the Shell. However, everyone reading on this site has dug deeper into Japanese media or in the process of doing so, and attempting to westernize the unwesternizable is doing no one here any favors. Turning an "ojou-sama" into a "noble miss" is about as ridiculous as turning "okonomiyaki" into "crispy cabbage pancakes".

Dex-chan lover
What makes Japanese special is that it is the language that you, I, and 99.9% of the people reading the chapters here have spent years gaining a cursory familiarity with. We all know the honorifics by heart, when they are used, what they mean, and what exactly is being conveyed by them above and beyond any attempt at literal translation.

And the reason that we all know this stuff so well is because it is a major part of the cultural setting of all of these settings, even when the settings are on fantasy planets where no one is actually speaking Japanese. We all know about hot springs etiquette, school curriculum, apologizing, anything to do with rice and soy sauce, and most of all, honorifics. Hierarchy and deference are very important in Japanese culture, and to understand what is going on between the characters in a story, we need to understand the nuances of the way they address each other. So it is silly to discard it.

And worse than merely discarding it is attempting to translate it as literally as possible. For the honorifics, there is nothing in English that comes close to even approximating it. Trying to shoehorn "Mr." to cover -san or -sama or even -sensei is laughable. It always sounds awkward and wrong, because of course it is. Worse is when honorifics are paired up with family words. When you see a character saying "Big bro!" it is always cringeworthy because (1) Nobody speaking English actually calls their older brother "big bro" except as a goof, (2) we have no idea whether it was supposed to be a translation of "nii-san", "aniki", "onii-chan" or some other variant, so all that extra information is lost, and (3) if the translator had just written whatever it was supposed to be in the first place, 99.9% of the audience would have understood it perfectly.

The entire purpose of translating a work is to make the story understandable to the target audience. Overcompensatory hyperlocalization is just fine when you are dealing with a broad audience with no deep investment in the source material's origin, like people watching dubbed version of Pokémon or Ghost in the Shell. However, everyone reading on this site has dug deeper into Japanese media or in the process of doing so, and attempting to westernize the unwesternizable is doing no one here any favors. Turning an "ojou-sama" into a "noble miss" is about as ridiculous as turning "okonomiyaki" into "crispy cabbage pancakes".
I don't agree and I haven't for 25 years, but I think I'm just going to agree to disagree.

Dex-chan lover

99.9%? That's not really objective, isn't it? As a veteran in Japanese manga and anime, I think you should've known that Akatsuki Scans is a quite veteran translator group (with their own website) whose translation is not only uploaded to this site but everywhere. So you're basically dismissing everyone everywhere who's still new to anime and manga and those who actually prefers these kind of localization. These people exist, you know, and it's not good to ignore them just because you think they're just a minority. And it seems like this translator is one of those people. You know it's okay to just ignore and leave if you're really that uncomfortable with the translation style.

Being a Purist is alright (I too would 100% prefer "ojou-sama" than "noble miss" and have watched all my anime in Japanese), but you should understand that you're forcing your opinion and view too hard.

In the end, isn't it better to just be grateful for the translation? Afterall, we still use translators and subs because we're "incapable" to actually learn the language even though we've had and spent years reading and watching all those Japanese materials.

Dex-chan lover
So I think our dude has a curse that makes him level up very slowly that is why it can't be seen well that is what I think anyways

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, making it more understandable by using Japanese words you'd have to look up to understand, yeah. Totally not cringe.
You're a fucking retard.
Yes, because knowing what onii-chan means in japanese takes hours of studying and hardcore preparation.

Your insults are cringe, but I didn't expect much more from you

Group Leader
"Miss" Cringe. Miss me with that VIZ shit. Did you guys change TLs for this? Been a while since I read this but please stop with the over localization. Just use honourifics, not like the people reading this don't know them.
Another TL was assigned this chapter. I made some minor corrections, some of which were missed like the "Don't you dare sleep for a while" on page 7 that will be corrected soon. Other than that the rest of the chapters from here on will probably be handled by me unless specified. Personally I typically use honorifics since there are some which are much harder to traditionally "translate" like dono, sama, chan, etc. especially if they're used specially in context and can convey a character better as the author intended them, but I don't backseat other people's translations and respect their choices if they simply choose not to.

Dex-chan lover
Respecting poor performance in translation is just stupid. Why the fuck should we lower our standards for the sake of the inexperienced and the uncaring? That road simply leads to absolute mediocrity.

On another note, this story seems pretty promising and I'm looking forward to it.

Dex-chan lover
It's weird seeing people try to gatekeep with manga fan translations.
Like, accept what you can get or translate it yourself?
That's how it has always been in the fan translation community, and that's how it always will be.
I guess paying a translator who does things the way you like it done is also an option as well nowadays, there's a lot more paid translators out there now.
Basically be thankful for the translator's work or make a change to it yourself.

Dex-chan lover
Someone is definitely stopping his growth for whatever reason that's why he never leveled up.

Dex-chan lover
The answer is nothing.
If those other language movies had something unique to the language in then then I’d expect for them to be in the movie.

The fact of the matter is that if you’ve been reading manga and watching anime for even a little bit you’d have learned what the unique Japanese words mean by now

Also, as others have noted, there’s not really an accurate English word you can translate some words into as some Japanese terms are so unique that English has no equivalent for it.

Take for instance -san, -sama, and -dono. There’s not an English word that is the equivalent of them and if you use Mr or Mrs for all of them then you’ve lost the level of respect being given in those introductions in your translation.

As someone who translates ages for older people, I keep the honorifics and stuff like Onee-san in the game as they’re rather needed by the games and pretty much everyone that would wanna play the game would have learned what Onee-san means by now.

Over localization of a translation can rob the reader or player of various things. Plus there’s some stuff you just can’t literally translate as it’ll ruin what’s being said. If you literally translate the jokes in Gintama then they’re not gonna make sense.

Dex-chan lover
If those other language movies had something unique to the language in then then I’d expect for them to be in the movie.

The fact of the matter is that if you’ve been reading manga and watching anime for even a little bit you’d have learned what the unique Japanese words mean by now

Also, as others have noted, there’s not really an accurate English word you can translate some words into as some Japanese terms are so unique that English has no equivalent for it.

Take for instance -san, -sama, and -dono. There’s not an English word that is the equivalent of them and if you use Mr or Mrs for all of them then you’ve lost the level of respect being given in those introductions in your translation.

As someone who translates ages for older people, I keep the honorifics and stuff like Onee-san in the game as they’re rather needed by the games and pretty much everyone that would wanna play the game would have learned what Onee-san means by now.

Over localization of a translation can rob the reader or player of various things. Plus there’s some stuff you just can’t literally translate as it’ll ruin what’s being said. If you literally translate the jokes in Gintama then they’re not gonna make sense.
Considering I've been reading manga for 25 years and I've done scanlating and know basic Japanese, I can confidently say that I know most of these words and more probably more than the average reader. That doesn't mean that I don't find it uneccessary. Especially in licensed works, where you approach a broader audience overseas, I think it's pretty bad if it's not proper localized to be understandable by the general public.
I think people overestimate how important these nuances are for the general understanding, and underestimate how alienating they can be for a new reader. Gatekeeping and elitism in the form of expecting that you know words like this most likely ruins the experience for a lot of new readers that's not interested in Japan but Japanese comics. Like they would be interested in Belgian-French comics and not Belgia and France.
Like I don't even watch anime dubbed, I always watch subbed and listen to what they say in addition. Still I think that they should do localization correctly in the subs.

Contributor
Considering I've been reading manga for 25 years and I've done scanlating and know basic Japanese, I can confidently say that I know most of these words and more probably more than the average reader. That doesn't mean that I don't find it uneccessary. Especially in licensed works, where you approach a broader audience overseas, I think it's pretty bad if it's not proper localized to be understandable by the general public.
I think people overestimate how important these nuances are for the general understanding, and underestimate how alienating they can be for a new reader. Gatekeeping and elitism in the form of expecting that you know words like this most likely ruins the experience for a lot of new readers that's not interested in Japan but Japanese comics. Like they would be interested in Belgian-French comics and not Belgia and France.
Like I don't even watch anime dubbed, I always watch subbed and listen to what they say in addition. Still I think that they should do localization correctly in the subs.
It's a free translation and nobody asked.

Dex-chan lover
When I've made scanlations, I've tried removing all kinds of honorifics and Japanese words as much as I can because it's cringe appeasing to weebs. And it looks stupid. I still remember 25 years ago when I started reading manga how cringe it was with all the unecessary Japanese words, and I still feel that way now.
spotted the retard over localizer bet you change metric to imperial and yen to USD too. Who the fuck reads manga and doesn't know the bare bottom honorifics like "-san". In what fucken locality do highschoolers call each other Miss and Mr? Sure they dont use san but this is a manga and it fits better than the constant Miss and Mr shit.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, making it more understandable by using Japanese words you'd have to look up to understand, yeah. Totally not cringe.
You're a fucking retard.
You've been reading manga for 25 years but have to look up what -san would mean? Even CR uses honorifics for most of their anime, even hidive, seven seas, kodansha, comikey etc. Viz seems to be the only one still wanting to americanize. So all official english TLs must be retarded then by your logic. You're the gatekeeper. Cause you think only what you want is right. Retard.

Users who are viewing this thread