Tsumi to Batsu no Spica - Ch. 4 - The Last Job (1)

Many people thought the manga was axed after the last chapter because the title was 'The Last Job,' but it's more likely referring to the detective's last job rather than the series ending.
if this manga gets axed im gonna die in hell

Dex-chan lover
The mistress could have sold him the idea of killing his wife you know, it is faster than a divorce, it is the trope of the murderous homewrecker
I suppose so, altho burning the bodies seems extreme unless there was a reason for it like "The husband has (disease that weakens him if exposed to smoke / fire) so he wouldn't have chosen arson" Tho does seem a bit extreme to kill the kids too as opposed to being the new stepmother or so, unless he gets life insurance from all three of them separately lol (tho imagine if she had done all that and it ended up not working out for her, spica's 'punishment' aside)

The culprit was the detective, He is the one who collided with her on the road in chapter 3, maybe 🤷‍♂️..
Unless they retcon it the stranger she bumped into just had generic short black hair like most JP men, and the detective should have white hair unless there's some time inconsistency or so lol

Wonder how many chapters it'll take til Spica runs into a female serial killer or someone with similar 'powers' to her. Tho, it happens with 'touch' i wonder if she'll graze against a potential criminal that has like, a prosthetic/mostly fake body parts, so it's technically not skin

The full view of scorched bodies of an entire family?
Ah. lol
Your phrasing was weird. Sounded as if you were complaining of something bad on the drawing or writting,
If it was about murder... Well, sensei on the first arc was already a kind of sociopath that killed/attacked children and animals in total cold blood. So yeah, villains are gonna be fucking terrible.
Dont surprise you if next villain its even worse.

Fed-Kun's army
Btw, a polygraph test is only about 51% accurate, but I'm assuming 13 years ago they thought they were 80% accurate.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I suppose so, altho burning the bodies seems extreme unless there was a reason for it like "The husband has (disease that weakens him if exposed to smoke / fire) so he wouldn't have chosen arson" Tho does seem a bit extreme to kill the kids too as opposed to being the new stepmother or so, unless he gets life insurance from all three of them separately lol (tho imagine if she had done all that and it ended up not working out for her, spica's 'punishment' aside)
The burning of the bodies was explained as a way to mess up the investigation because it made it harder to identify the exact time of death, which in turn helps the husband and the mistress a lot for their alibi since it stretches the time window for him to go back and forth between the park and the apartments

Killing the kids allows them to get a fresh start with no strings attached, in this scenario both the husband and the mistress are guilty, at the very least she is giving him a false alibi, and at worst it is a full co-conspirator who probably helped with several aspects of the murder like planning it out, buying the gasoline (or even better get some else get her the fuel) so that the transaction can't be tracked back to the husband who is the primary suspect, dispose of the murder weapon, and then offer a cover story to obfuscate the case

All of these obvious reasons makes it so that the husband and the mistress look extremely guilty, specially given the complete lack of grief and remorse on the husband's part, which of course "helps" the twist for a third party like the downstairs neighbor or... the cliche evil detective trope, whose only thing going for them is existing as possible antagonist in an edgy manga

We came out of a story with a serial killer teacher, so an unstable serial killer neighbor that kills due to noise complaints is not that wild an idea, but the previous arc also planted the idea of people being hypocrites, corrupt, and hiding their antisocial selves, which in turn plays with the trope of the corrupt cop

Both of these bad tropes hinge on the reader focusing on what looks like an obvious culprit, while ignoring the premise of the gimmick of hidden serial killers who try to pass themselves as good people, and that only the MC with her magic powers can discern, something that the cheating husband who doesn't even feels bad for his dead family can't play with, because he is already shamelessly and openly a bad guy so there's no gimmick to play with if he is the culprit

There's however a 4th even more unsatisfactory explanation, of it being just a total stranger, why even do that? It offers a triple whammy, you have the horrible husband and the homewrecker mistress, the corrupt cop, and the unstable neighbor, with 4 openly bad characters there's no rug to pull to play the "and that's why you can't judge a book by it's cover" card, but that would just be asking for an early cancellation

So taking everything into account it was either the neighbor, or the detective who is corrupt which would be a repeat of the last arc

Dex-chan lover
The burning of the bodies was explained as a way to mess up the investigation because it made it harder to identify the exact time of death, which in turn helps the husband and the mistress a lot for their alibi since it stretches the time window for him to go back and forth between the park and the apartments

Killing the kids allows them to get a fresh start with no strings attached, in this scenario both the husband and the mistress are guilty, at the very least she is giving him a false alibi, and at worst it is a full co-conspirator who probably helped with several aspects of the murder like planning it out, buying the gasoline (or even better get some else get her the fuel) so that the transaction can't be tracked back to the husband who is the primary suspect, dispose of the murder weapon, and then offer a cover story to obfuscate the case

All of these obvious reasons makes it so that the husband and the mistress look extremely guilty, specially given the complete lack of grief and remorse on the husband's part, which of course "helps" the twist for a third party like the downstairs neighbor or... the cliche evil detective trope, whose only thing going for them is existing as possible antagonist in an edgy manga

We came out of a story with a serial killer teacher, so an unstable serial killer neighbor that kills due to noise complaints is not that wild an idea, but the previous arc also planted the idea of people being hypocrites, corrupt, and hiding their antisocial selves, which in turn plays with the trope of the corrupt cop

Both of these bad tropes hinge on the reader focusing on what looks like an obvious culprit, while ignoring the premise of the gimmick of hidden serial killers who try to pass themselves as good people, and that only the MC with her magic powers can discern, something that the cheating husband who doesn't even feels bad for his dead family can't play with, because he is already shamelessly and openly a bad guy so there's no gimmick to play with if he is the culprit

There's however a 4th even more unsatisfactory explanation, of it being just a total stranger, why even do that? It offers a triple whammy, you have the horrible husband and the homewrecker mistress, the corrupt cop, and the unstable neighbor, with 4 openly bad characters there's no rug to pull to play the "and that's why you can't judge a book by it's cover" card, but that would just be asking for an early cancellation

So taking everything into account it was either the neighbor, or the detective who is corrupt which would be a repeat of the last arc
No one else was around but i suppose it would also be a bit suspicious on himself if he had done it, to be the 'first to discover' it versus spending all day in his mistresses' place or whatever, we do see the detective's pov and he seemed pretty adamant in investigating him but I wonder if Spica will be revealed to have powers other than just mind reading, b/c even with pushing that old man in chapter one and poisoning the teacher, i'm sure someone 'truly dangerous' would have a hard time being overpowered even if she can read minds/emotions

Tho i wouldn't be surprised if but the husbands mental health spiraled after the loss of his family and ruined his life despite it showing him having an unhinged gleeful smile watching the vid (ppl react to trauma/cope in pretty diff ways), but idk how often the author would be too repetitive or if the editor decided to have it adjusted, but idk if it'll have a short release as opposed to something like Uramiya that got like over 90 chapters

Dex-chan lover
No one else was around but i suppose it would also be a bit suspicious on himself if he had done it, to be the 'first to discover' it versus spending all day in his mistresses' place or whatever, we do see the detective's pov and he seemed pretty adamant in investigating him but I wonder if Spica will be revealed to have powers other than just mind reading, b/c even with pushing that old man in chapter one and poisoning the teacher, i'm sure someone 'truly dangerous' would have a hard time being overpowered even if she can read minds/emotions

Tho i wouldn't be surprised if but the husbands mental health spiraled after the loss of his family and ruined his life despite it showing him having an unhinged gleeful smile watching the vid (ppl react to trauma/cope in pretty diff ways), but idk how often the author would be too repetitive or if the editor decided to have it adjusted, but idk if it'll have a short release as opposed to something like Uramiya that got like over 90 chapters

There's is always the neighbor, but since it was a one panel name drop that can very well never come into play

In a very mundane way, this could also just be a very simple mini arc to have her work with the detective, so that she can become and official sukeban deka, instead of a sukeban vigilante, probably with weaponized yo-yos and everything as demanded by the sukeban deka genre, and that would be her extra powers she just has a weapon that conveniently doesn't violates gun and blade regulations

Dex-chan lover
There's is always the neighbor, but since it was a one panel name drop that can very well never come into play

In a very mundane way, this could also just be a very simple mini arc to have her work with the detective, so that she can become and official sukeban deka, instead of a sukeban vigilante, probably with weaponized yo-yos and everything as demanded by the sukeban deka genre, and that would be her extra powers she just has a weapon that conveniently doesn't violates gun and blade regulations
I suppose, if she has 'mind reading powers', assuming it's possible for them to 'evolve' or be manipulated, maybe she could purposefully instill intrusive thoughts or mess with ppl's emotions to where they'd 'make a mistake' or see hallucinations or so to make ppl get caught easily/admit things, if not like "absorb" ppls memories and then touching the detective would show a POV of crimes happening although that might be too convenient, i wouldn't be surprised if the detective or someone similar showed up in more arcs but not necessarily 'working together' since she is a vigilante and said 'police are useless' but might not be above manipulating certain ppl

Unless they retcon it the stranger she bumped into just had generic short black hair like most JP men, and the detective should have white hair unless there's some time inconsistency or so lol

Wonder how many chapters it'll take til Spica runs into a female serial killer or someone with similar 'powers' to her. Tho, it happens with 'touch' i wonder if she'll graze against a potential criminal that has like, a prosthetic/mostly fake body parts, so it's technically not skin
Aah, I didn't think about that, so maybe it was the husband from the start, all along..

Dex-chan lover
See I thought about but how often do you see police release close up photos or footage of murder victims, especially burned ones, immediately after the murder? That's usually years later as part of one of those murder TV shows, no?
Yeah, it was only at first that I thought he got them from the news or smth. I'm now leaning towards the photo not even being of his wife and kids. Mainly because I doubt that this manga will go with the obvious answer, but we're only 4 chapters in so I could very well be wrong

Dex-chan lover
Many people thought the manga was axed after the last chapter because the title was 'The Last Job,' but it's more likely referring to the detective's last job rather than the series ending.
The "Detective's Already Dead" huh? A real one this time.

Aggregator gang
Such a rollercoaster these 4 chapters have been. Who would have thought that she was the saviour all along

Double-page supporter
Are we sure the husband was even cheating? We saw him hug a woman. Chances are that could be his sister or another family member.

Dex-chan lover
Actually thinking about it, maybe the neighbor IS the 'mistress', considering they mentioned she lived in the same complex (and not like the neighbor that got interviewed by the cops would know) using noise as a 'pretext' to knock on their door in front of his wife/while his wife/kids were home and THAT'S why he 'flew off the handle' b/c he didn't wanna get caught as opposed to to being annoyed that someone complained about him having noisy kids or so

Are we sure the husband was even cheating? We saw him hug a woman. Chances are that could be his sister or another family member.
i think it would've been established if he had relatives living nearby but maybe he did say "i was having an affair" to set up an alibi or so (it did mention the woman was questioned and she wouldn't need to hide if she was his sister or so unless their parents also had some kinda messy situation [tho other than convenience or him living with her before and then moving out with his family after he got married and have kids, idk how common it is for family to live within the same apartment complex versus a house])

Users who are viewing this thread