Usagi Drop

Could have been a masterpiece but then the author shit all over it.

Pretend the manga ended just before the timeskip or just watch the anime.

Dex-chan lover
Well this was a ride. I came in expecting a cute, heartwarming story about a hapless single man taking in a young girl whom no one else wanted, and it was that and more for about the first half, which was stellar.
After the time skip I readied my tear ducts expecting the story would follow the characters as they got older and older until it was Rin taking care of an elderly Daikichi, but what happened instead was a whole lot of high school drama. Granted it was handled better here than in a lot of other manga (which isn't saying much), but once it moved away from the parent-child relationship it started to lose focus, and even though the characters were older it felt more shallow. As others have mentioned I disliked the way many of the secondary characters, especially Kouki's mom, were shunted off to the side.

I don't want to pass judgement on the romantic resolution because I recognize that, no matter how alien their way of thinking is to me, there are probably people out there who live in similar situations and are happy. And in fact I do think I could have appreciated the ending had the execution been better, but in addition to how it all came out of nowhere (yes, there were a few ambiguous hints here and there, but that's no replacement for proper build-up), I was dismayed by how seemingly the only major stumbling block was their distant blood connection and not the father-daughter relationship they'd cultivated over ten years. Not only does that not make a whole lot of sense, it also felt like a betrayal of the first part in which biology is secondary to the fact that he was willing to step up and be a parent to her when not even her birth mother would. The second part isn't exactly bad taken on its own terms, but as a continuation of the first it sorely disappoints.

Dex-chan lover
I'm gonna watch the anime in the future then pick up the manga to decide if the ending's great or trash since the internet's opinion seem to be split. What chapter should I read after the anime?

@ DANDAN_THE_DANDAN first of all, how dare you?

Secondly the anime ends at ch24

Dex-chan lover
i had never read the manga after watching the anime years and years ago, but i don't regret it, i like how it turned out.
in fact if i could complain about something it's the lack of "graphicallity" you don't see anyone kissing or anything even remotely romantic it's all words, meh

Group Leader
Since people are still talking about this, I might as well chime in.

I had read Usagi Drop many years ago, then dropped it a little after the time-skip. What I'm going to say is this: Even if we can't agree on whether the final pairing itself was bad or not... (personally it leaves me coldly indifferent)

...can we agree that the time-skip itself was written very, very poorly? I mean, the mere fact that it leaves you wondering "Wait, did I miss 10 chapters or something?" is bad enough, but this could be forgivable. But what really grated on my nerves was the "Oh, you know those things we established in the previous chapters? Nope, they aren't true." angle it took. It's so logically disjoint from the first half that it reads like the first steps of a particularly low-quality fanfic; in short, it's plain shoddy writing.

So, to the fine and honourable people who liked the ending, I ask this: Can we agree that the transition from A to B was done in a shoddy manner? Or do you find me mistaken in my assessment?

Dex-chan lover
Time skips are evil
Usagi Drop should be erased from the internet and every physical release burned to the ground
That is all

Dex-chan lover
i loved this series completely especially the ending because it was already set in stone from the get go what it was gonna lead up 2 i guess people really didn't pay attention to the series as a whole

though i will say the time skip i wish they would have shown more of what happened in those years that was skipped but nonetheless things still turned out really good imo

but yeah even now i wish the whole series would have been animated but its just to many people that have an issue with how it ended which is pretty sad imo because it's such a beautiful end to an amazing story

this series will always be one of my all time fave series of all time

People who butthurt after reading the ending of this manga are Gold.
This manga deserve 100/10 just for that alone.
People seems to forget the classic tales of Genji,Princess maker game , and several other classics that this is part of japanesse culture.

Get off your high horse and stop self inserting your moral value.

Speaks volumes that people who defend the ending are mouth-breather like the two above who equate princess maker games with classics of Japanese culture or thinking that Rin not calling him Dad and introduction of love interests like Koukis' mom are signs "set in stone" that he's going to fuck his daughter, lmao.

This is one of the few manga where I'm happy that I accidentally ran into spoilers. I consider it a great manga that ends right before the time skip. I read the final chapter just to see how I felt and was just like...nope. No time skip for me.

Dex-chan lover
People are probably a bit too gungho about this series on both sides of the conversation. You didn't like it because of the romantic pairing? Cool, move along and find something you do like. You did enjoy the series? Also cool, but you probably aren't changing anyone's mind if they disagree.

Which things are forgivable and unforgivable in a completely fictional setting can be an interesting topic of discussion, when people aren't acting like some of the posters here and elsewhere do about this series. Once people do start taking up certain tones over it, it's time to just fall back.

Users who are viewing this thread