Vinland Saga - Vol. 24 Ch. 168 - Sailing West Part 2

No personal weapons, in fact. The group will have at least axes, spears and a crossbow. Like it says.

Group Leader
Hey all, TL1 here, hoping to clear up some stuff about the no weapons.

On page 10 Einar uses the words "暮らしの道具でも" meaning "tools to live". He says this about "武器" meaning "weapons". On the next page, Thorfinn then says that Hild's crossbow is "人殺しのために" meaning "for killing people". Finally, he concludes that those tools used to kill people are "剣です" literally meaning "a sword or blade", but we adapted that as weapons. Since when we think of a weapon we think of something that is just for "人殺しのために", killing people.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

@lordsparda90

There has already been an Ulfberht sword in the story.
The guy who owned Einar and Thorfinn had one of those when he was slaughtered by the Jomsvikings

Spoilers for history...

No weapons is why they get slaughtered by the natives when relations break down. It's the reason Canada isn't a Nordic country. They got here first, but they also died first.

@UltraRob

You're making it sound like everybody gets slaughtered, they don't. Fighting breaks out for various reasons and maybe a few of the settlers are killed but most of them including Thorfinn, Gudrid and their biological son make it back home. Also the no weapon stuff is just exclusive to this manga since the mangaka is talking A LOT of liberties. Real Thorfinn wasn't some hardcore pacifist and no explorer worth their salt was retarded enough to try to settle in the new world without form of defense.

Group Leader
fuck y'all farmland saga was good and this is looking mighty fine so far too

Group Leader
Chapter is now updated with more accurate translation. "No weapons" is now "No swords".

Dex-chan lover
I didn't know the Farm arc was that unpopular by people. I thought it was really good.

Fed-Kun's army
I didn't pick this manga for Buddhist Vikings, but historical accurate Viking adventure in the Americas with blood and gore.

Dang, take your guys hard critic down a knot or two lol it translated from killing -> slave -> running away. What else you expect from running away?

Fed-Kun's army
@Kazuraki

I don't know what you expected, the first 18 chapters (Thor's death) already set the entire tone of the series. It was only a matter of time before Thorfinn picked up his father's pacifism too.

Group Leader
A single person asked about chapter 167 but yeah... what happened to it ?

Group Leader
@Shyning I think mangastream translated 167 but their site has been taken down so just look for it on other sites

Dex-chan lover
@Kazuraki
"I didn't pick this manga for Buddhist Vikings, but historical accurate Viking adventure with blood and gore."

The sagas say that Lief, Thorfinn, Gudrid and Canute were all practicing Christians. They were not practitioners of Nordic paganism like the Jomsvikings were. So while their behavior wouldn't have been monastic, they also wouldn't have been bloodthirsty sea raiders and mercenaries looking for a place in Valhalla either.
A historically accurate tale about the Vinland colonization wouldn't have had any blood and gore at all until Canada.

Double-page supporter
It's been a while so i don't really remember, but what happened to Thorfinn's ear again?

man, not sure which direction this will head in, but it's sad to thing that Thorfinn longs for such peace, which is impossible to attain in reality

I mean many would say spears are better at killing people than swords anyway. I sure that Garm would agree.

Users who are viewing this thread