Vinland Saga - Vol. 24 Ch. 173 - Sailing West Part 7

There will be too many indians for them. I read that a plague wiped out 90% of north american indians, which made later colonizing easy. PS. Hell, they might bring the plague with them and earn deadly scorn with that.

Dex-chan lover
With Sig gone, he became HALFDAD but now he can be WHOLEDAD again

ah thorfinn too pure in politics and economics only brews for the sad end later

@supermoonchrome, agreed. And to me the worst part isn't even the shoving of his ideology, which is inherent to writing, but the way it's done, with long boring pseudo philosophical discussions, instead of showing it through people every day life and interactions, successes and setbacks. And the cherry on top of the cake, the substance of the message : trade and peace have definitely always been synonym to one another through (at least) western history lmao.

Fed-Kun's army
Can't say anything until Thorfinn finally sails out. At this point everything can change

Double-page supporter
The series jumped the kraken when Thorfinn and Einar made their plot of land viable. It was the culmination of the journey and should have ended a few chapters after.

Dex-chan lover
Turns out Hobbes and Durkheim were plagiarizing some vikings all along!

HOW DID I CATCH UP WITH THIS! xD there weren't that many chapters ago i saw comments from 2 years ago...
chapter 55-173 within 24 hours is too fast...

Dex-chan lover
This was super interesting! I'm more and more surprised with the manga as the story goes on. Of course we know that the viking ocupation in north america didn't work out, but I'm eager to see how that plays out in this manga. There will be conflict and bloodshed between natives and some of the settlers, and everything that Thorfinn learned will be put to test on this occasion. Will he come to the realization that some degree of violence is needed? I'm also surprised by how much Halfdan evolved, he's legitimely a good, thoughtful person now.

@regilius

It was even simpler. The Vikings traded cheese with the native Americans. They were lactose intolerant and thought that the Vikings tried to poison them

@supermoonchrome , yes it doesn't exist in record of the past but that doesn't mean that a similiar way of thinking didnt exist in ANYperson's mind at all in the past.

The only thinking of the past that recorded is from scholar because they are the only one that write what inside of their mind. Other people may have different way of thinking from scholar but couldn't write it because they doesn't have the opportunity or the desire to write what is inside of their mind. There is exist heavy survivorship bias in history record and we must aware of it when discuss history.

So yeah, i couldn't say with high certainity that a similiar way of thinking could never exist in the pre-21st Century person's mind.

Is this like reading a very condensed summary of a economics system but isn't at the same time?

Fed-Kun's army
Imagine learning how our economy and society got to where they are, from a manga about vikings.

Man Thorfinn is a complete angel now lmao, he was such a edgelord in the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread