Vinland Saga - Vol. 25 Ch. 176 - Sailing West Part 10

Dex-chan lover
Fuck my emotions can't handle seeing Leif aged like this. He was fine just some time ago, travelling with Thorfinn and all to sell those narwhal horns... and fuck bug eyes, what a worm. Man, that page with Leif, Thors and Askeladd made me tear up real bad

Dex-chan lover
I thought there was a time skip but the old man just got suddenly senile lol

Contributor
Honestly thought that Yukimura
created Bug-Eyes to have more freedom with how the story plays out. Because of the real-life events that happened, it would be easy enough for Bug-Eyes to go back to Iceland claiming himself to be the real Thorfinn, while the actual one stays in Vinland.

But whatever. Still great story.

Dex-chan lover
Not gonna lie, Thorfinn's big anime girl eyes kida threw me off the moment there

Dex-chan lover
Interesting that Yukimura is choosing to have the Mi'kmaq (Newfoundland's current surviving First Nation's peoples) be the indigenous people Thorfinn will be presumably interacting with in the narrative, as to my knowledge (from doing some cursory research) the Mi'kmaq migrated to Newfoundland well after the Norse departed Canada. The indigenous people the historical Thorfinn would have encountered in the early 11th century would have been an intermediary culture between the Dorset and Beothuk peoples if I am remembering correctly.
I guess there is more readily available literature and research material (especially in Japanese) about the Mi'kmaq people than the Dorset and/or Beothuk, so Yukimura chose/is choosing the culture he can most accurately portray regardless of the chronological liberties being taken.

this chapter hits right in the heart
especially since Leif has been with us in the manga since day 1....

also, the manga started back in 2005 so it this chapter had been 5 years later then 20 years would have been passed for real.

cgr

Dex-chan lover
@faildog
he does see akelado as a father, it's why all both he and thors appeared when 'my son' was said, https://mangadex.org/chapter/1078852/19 , and thorfinn smiled at it.

Users who are viewing this thread