Volcanic Age

Yall ch 74 just got posted on leviatan scans website go read it there
I doubt any group is gonna upload it here

I'm glad the creator's are in (presumably) good health. Hopefully someone picks it up for Dex.

Power Uploader
Chapters 74 to 93 are out.
https://page.kakao.com/home?seriesId=50289296&page=1

Aggregator gang
its back and the quantity / quality is on par with chinkshit now. almost amazing how little plot / art they manage to stuff into such vertically long chapters. just quickly skimmed over ch81 again and it looks like at least 65% of all pages are just the pure colour white. at least chinks have the dignity to shit out their five pages of content and not have you spend more time scrolling than reading.
jgrh41.jpg

I've had to read the latest chapters on another website (up to 81) since Mangadex is only at 67... I prefer this website, is there a problem?

Sickly Senpai
Staff
Super Moderator
@bbsmartins A quick BakaUpdates search shows that the newer chapters were either by LeviatanScans [sic] and Meraki Scans, both of whom threw a fit over internet drama semi-recently and pulled all their chapters from MangaDex. :<

I first got confused by the name changes in the new translations. I asked on Leviathan's discord and as a result I was told the enemy names changed from Korean to English to give context that they are all aliases based on a group of stars. This makes sense to me, because some translators value context over literal translations.

Later on, I realized a certain clan had their name changed from partial Chinese to full Korean. These are the Zhuge clan members that the previous translators translated as Zhuge [Korean Name], and was alluded to as being descended from Zhuge Liang. Now they were translated as full Korean, so the context of being related to Zhuge Liang was lost unless one knew much about Korean localization names of Chinese historical figures, and I believe everyone can agree Zhuge Liang is the most famous form of said historical person alongside Kongming, the English language certainly doesn't localize it.

However, I also considered that it might be possible that the old translations were at fault, and maybe like localization happens today in the professional industry, changes are made to the level of a re-write. This might sound offensive to the old translators, but while I personally didn't believe they made such a mistake I still felt it was important to consider such a possibility instead of staying narrow-minded. So I asked on Leviathan's discord once again and explained my thought process, which can be summarized as a matter of consistency. If everything was to be named Korean, then the enemies should also be named Korean no? If context for the reader's sake was to be prioritized, then shouldn't the clan be using the old translations (and names like Seung-Kye were Korean to begin with, so it's only a matter of using a Chinese surname) to give immediate context of their relationship to Kongming? Questioning whether it was the old translator's fault or if the new translators possibly overlooked this, I was given an answer in the form of "Volcanic Age is all Korean", and I replied that names like Tang Clan being based on Szechuan (I think?) and locations like Hefei were clearly all Chinese. It is really obvious to anyone who has read 3 Kingdoms that Volcanic Age covers not only Korea but also China in this wuxia story, so since they use Chinese names for many places anyways why not allow Zhuge to remain? The person replying to me seemed to get kind of confused before shortly afterward agreeing with me presumably, however that was when his comments started disappearing followed by me being banned from the discord.

Now I don't really care that I got banned, for all I know it could be because I posted too many lines too fast when I was trying to get my message across. It just means I won't be able to make any more suggestions or questions, which is all I ever used it for so if anyone doesn't believe me feel free to call me an instigator, I don't have any screenshots or proof since I never felt I did anything to offend anyone and wasn't trigger happy with the screenshot button. Regardless, I hope Leviathan Scans becomes more consistent one way or another, and if not, I hope this comment can stay so that readers of Volcanic Age with the same confusion as I do can understand the inconsistency of the translations for their viewing pleasure, and if appropriate, use this comment section to note down any further changes in the future.

EDIT: I really wish someone archived the better translations on Goddess or something. All the reader sites use the seemingly poorer translations.

@DexerMang That confused me too. I was making the same points as you on their comment section. After a couple of replies, it seems the strongest reason for that is that their current translator isn't well-versed enough in old obscure hanja to find the chinese counterpart; and to make it worse, the author not always includes it in the raws so it's very difficult to know what a name would be in Chinese. That's why the translator decided to stick to the Korean versions, since they are always provided (obviously). But he/she said he/she's going to include some Chinese names in parenthesis after doing hard research. Also, I remember Meraki said something similar after they picked this series up from Mangacow. Hope that helped.

@ZombiesAreNotOkay I would not mind it if it was all Korean, but then they use the western star names and it looks very jarring. The lack of consistency simply due to lack of ability makes me wonder why they would bother with the western localization when we still wouldn't get the same instant context regarding the other names that have to remain Korean. The purpose of localizing the western star names is so you don't need to give a parenthesis because otherwise it would make more sense to keep it with the Korean names and put the western star names in the parenthesis or TL notes as the Chinese names would be relying on those anyway so there's no point in doing one webcomic two translating systems, this isn't Hong Kong ya know? I'm sure the bad guys aren't gonna protest if the translators give them back their Korean names.

@DexerMang Well, I don't think that's such a big deal. If we are talking about western localization, let's say in Europe and South america (Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries) people don't know the original names of the stars but when someone says, for example, death/ominous star, they know. If they used the name Benetnasch, people wouldn't know it's Alkaid. Besides, even on the west the big dipper has many names like the chariot, ursa maior group, polar stars, etc. There is a whisky company that uses the seven stars for each of its products. So using the most common westerns names makes it easier to understand there are 7 bad guys under the final boss (So far we've only seen 3 of them in action). If they used the chinese or the korean names, we wouldn't know that, right? We'd think the boss has X number of elites under him, and that could potentially feel anti-climatic after the MC defeats the seven.

@ZombiesAreNotOkay
I disagree, given the readership of Volcanic Age it's very unlikely any of them do not know who Zhuge Liang is. As of the latest chapter they still retain Chinese land names like Hefei, and once again, a simple parenthesis or a TL note for one chapter would already do the job given you already pointed out they were planning on doing this. What is important is consistency. How many people on the internet want translations akin to those that give cultivation manhua characters western names like Bob and Joe? It's the same logic. If you're gonna localize for the sake of context speed, you have to localize everything. If you're gonna keep it Korean, then keep all names Korean. Favoring western names simply because it's in English is a silly argument, this isn't some Viz or Yen Press release targeted at a demographic that isn't familiar with manga hoping they can pull in a new market, and inconsistency only serves to confuse readers when they shift to stories with similar settings. The setting for Volcanic Age is the martial world (Murim in Korean) of ancient China, do you think this is the only comic on Mangadex with this setting? You also overestimate how many western readers immediately recognize the western star names and their significance, astronomy is not something most high school kids or young adults take interest in, let alone those younger. They would have to look it up anyways. At most they will know what the Big Dipper is, or the North Star, but the significance behind it in relationship to the Volcanic Age characters? It wasn't even taught in most schools 20 years ago, let alone have enough relevance that people who did learn it would remember it. They still will end up reading the parenthesis and TL notes. If the fan translation scene has managed to even change how readers would view terms like cultivation, why would they be worried about Asian names? Does no one play Dynasty Warriors or read 3 Kingdoms stuff no more? Did Wuxia World close down? Strange, you'd think Volcanic Age readers would be more susceptible to wuxia.

Users who are viewing this thread