WataMote: No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!

Dex-chan lover
I'm pretty happy people have stuck with this and have kept writing about it on different boards, stoking my curiosity. I gave it up a few times before but I'm glad I caught up recently because the introduction of other non-normative characters just makes Tomoko's inner monologues even funnier.

Dex-chan lover
Like I've said before, the movement from Tomoko being the butt of awkward cringe joke humor and instead being a little shit who regularly gets her comeuppance but eventually develops into her own and is accepted/lets herself be friends with this other group of weirdos is the best change this manga could have made. It went from a decently funny manga to an actually really good manga.

The most recent chapters have pushed a little too hard on the friends competing for her attention, which is worrying since it reads like before when the mangaka found something that worked in her awkwardness and pushed too hard with it so it went from being funny to being uncomfortable. But that said, they're still funny chapters.

Group Leader
I like the second part of WataMote more. Even if it's turning into yuri harem manga bit by bit.

Also this
Dreams (expectations) and reality
JlB41WO.jpg

Tomoko is a fucking normie with six gorillion frens now.
The title now refers to Glasses and Fang. I wouldn't mind the manga changing to focus on them.

I've picked this manga up and dropped it like hot garbage so many times before because I just couldn't stand the cringe humor. Someone finally managed to convince me to power through it and by God the payoff was worth it! I don't even really know when it happened but when it started dropping the cringe humor bit by bit, it became better and better. Now it's fucking god-tier with Tomoko turning into a friggin' chick-magnet!

Dex-chan lover
Yo, Nemo bumped up a lot here in my eyes just because of how normally she and Tomoko are talking now and how she's actually being nice about it.

Bonus points for containing her laughter that hard.

Oof, I'm cringing and laughing at the same time. Poor Katou tho, I feel back for her since she's such a nice person.

Dex-chan lover
Now the class mom Katou has even more a reason to dislike Minami. I wonder when she’s going to blow up? How does the saying go? “Demons run when a kind man goes to war.”

Also, rereading a bit, it seems Katou isn’t actually very good with her make-up. There’s another chapter where she did Tomoko’s eyelashes. It’s like this chapter was a callback to that, only this time, Minami’s spouting the bold, insulting truth.

As someone who has picked this up twice, and dropped it imediantly, I have to ask. What are the demographics here? Who is this audience that has stuck with this manga and given it a 9, almost 10 star rating?

I suppose I like the personality of this manga, but the MC art style is too much for me, and a little too blatantly perverted. Simply put, I can't stand looking at most of the artwork and at least 1 pannel per chapter makes me want to kms.
But, with this rating, I really feel like I'm missing out. I don't want to drop a good story just bc I don't like the artwork and half of the perverted thoughts are directed twords men (wait.... that doesn't sound right... is there a way I can make this sound less gay..... no..). I'd be fine with her sniffing/licking her friend if she wasn't drawn like a creepy old man....

~Male, primarily following slice of life, school life, romcom. Echi / hentai (at the least, her thoughts fall into this catagory) if there is a good story (which I guess this has, but i really cant stand her)

Dex-chan lover
@firefish5000
Forgive me for saying this(and generalizing a ton, and I know there are exceptions to every assumption or opinion), but it’s stereotypically losers, perverts, and misfits that enjoy this manga. Basically, people like or similar to the protagonist enough that they can sympathize with her, regardless of gender. As of late, a few have even dropped the series, irrationally outraged that the title has betrayed them, and Kuroki has made enough friends to no longer be called a loner, even if she’s not truly popular.

Normalfags/normies/riajuus tend to overlook or dislike it for being displeasing to the eye, or utterly cringeworthy. And the MC deserves it, as she’s just barely not a full blown fujoshi. She’s scummy, perverted to men and women alike, petty, messy, and so much more. She’s legitimately not popular, as the title says.

But yeah. In my specific case, even if Kuroki is far more cringy or popular than I ever was, I’m able to overlook the series’ faults regardless. Put simply, I like the characters, the narrative, the jokes and punchlines, just enough that everything can be forgiven, tolerated, or simply overlooked. Personally, I find it amazing that such an internally and externally repulsive character can be made so relatable or likeable. Don’t judge a book by its cover, its title, or even its art. Hi-Score Girl looks like ass, but the characters are endearing. Onani Master(Fap Master) Kurosawa sounds juvenile and degenerate, but becomes so much more than what the title and base premise lead you to believe. Even One-Punch Man started off as a fugly webcomic. I even like the ONE version better than Murata’s.

Dex-chan lover
Tomoko, I don't want to alarm you, but you're already a cringe compilation regardless of fashion.

@Talismaster
Thanks, though from that it sounds like I'm definitely the target audience. Perhaps I'm not perverted enough? Or I have learned to avoid social situations to the extent that the fact that I am utterly helpless with them is no longer relevant.

I think I will give the anime a shot. While normally I can't stand listening to voice actors of series I'm reading, perhaps I would enjoy this one more if someone drastically changed the way she sounds in my head. It may just not be my genre, but its hitting to close to home for me to drop it without a fight.

Dex-chan lover
@firefish5000
The high ratings and high praise make sense, are justified. Let me say a few things:
Remember when the anime came out and Kotaku wrote about it? How the writer got horrified that it was a "dark comedy" seeing that Tomoko was indeed suffering from the situations presented? That is one of the first reasons why this manga is "good".
Yes, Tomoko had problems, and yes she was really suffering. That was the point.
I know that it was hard to read, really, you would feel pain reading those chapters, it wasn't read to endure. But seeing how all those situations were being told like it wasn't just a joke, that got me interested, and I believe I'm not alone saying this.
Well, some say that this manga changed, but I disagree.
It didn't changed, it just evolved, with the time, naturally.
One thing that I like about this manga, if this helps explain to you, is that the monologues aren't like you see in other stories. The monologues don't feel like they're directed to you, to help you, the reader, to understand the characters and what the story is about. This is a consequence of other and bigger quality of Watemote.
It's subtle.
It's hard to explain and convince you of this without giving detailed examples, but believe in me, the narrative here is subtle, every frame counts. Every detail in every frame counts. Yesterday I wrote planty about a single detail in a single frame, because this manga allows this. In recent chapters we saw entire conflicts play out almost outside of the narrative, almost hidden inside a few frames through the chapters.

So, there's a lot of reasons.
The narrative is better than what it appears at first, even if the story is episodic and random.
The characters are well rounded.
Great character development.

It's a series that found its public and everyone that still reads feel recompensed.
It's just... good.

it feels like that all her wrongdoing in the past reset...
this is a great char development...
from a total loner to normal schoolgirl... (after she can talk normal to boys)

Users who are viewing this thread