We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - The Qualities of a Teacher

Fed-Kun's army
Not sure why but I'm liking the chapters that focus on male students a lot more than the ones about female students. Maybe its the lack of sexual stuff.

MD@Home
@auriga
You're right, Takayanagi was way out of his element here, and I don't blame him for it. I was mostly referring to the general application of "equality" in school, which often feels like more of an excuse not to do anything.

Fed-Kun's army
@pip25

I do watch it too but here we are dealing with different situation and context of problem.
Just like this @auriga and @indi_n0rd comments.
When the Ethics teacher doing that, he "might" create more harm than good. On the other hand how long are he able to help the kid solve his problem? Teacher also a person with their own problem and dilemma, you can ask their help but you better be not to rely on them.

I'm sorry if I kinda write like an asshole and smartass, but I'm just saying my own thoughts and experience in this kind of problem.
I'm not going into detailed story so ... In my experience helping a depressed person was ... Exhausting ... At first I was truly care to help and perhaps solve once for all but in the end all I got was exhausted feeling and annoyed. Because the person I'm trying to help was too dependent and keep relying from temporary comfort.
I have my own life and my own problems too. Sure if you ask my help I would gladly help you out but pls do it in moderation.

Now back to this manga, clearly as we could see the student was relying too much on other person's, he knows it and kept doing that. (This is just my implication) and as we know too the female teacher were trying to pass the torch or trying to lessen her burden by pass the student to ethics teacher. This is why we cannot ask too much to others person.

If you are in trouble and cannot solve it by yourself, then kindly ask help to other person however please don't take advantage of other person's kindness.

Teach is stressing himself too much. One person can't save everyone.

how i imagine sensei in the next few chapters
Funny-Doctors-Medical-Memes-104-5b4daafddbea0__700.jpg

Group Leader
Okay, I know we're all enjoying debating the philosophical ramifications of indulging one person's desires above their needs here but...

Goddamn! Can I just say that the school nurse is putting the thicc in E T H I C C S.

MD@Home
@Straborvsky
I don't want to comment on your experiences since I obviously wasn't there, but in this specific case in the manga I do not think the student was taking advantage of the teachers' kindness. That would require a conscious decision not to try solving your problem even though you have the chance, but leaving everything to someone else instead, since that is easier. In the student's case, due to his upbringing he developed a concept of personal space that is wholly incompatible with Japanese society. That's not his fault, and not something he can really change by himself at his age - which is why I said that the kid would definitely need professional help. Ideally, whether the teachers respect or confront his need for tactile contact should also be based on the opinion of said professional, not any kind of "equal treatment" nonsense.

Dex-chan lover
It's so refreshing to see the supposedly perfect character trope is in fact not, after all. Leaves room for character development and contrast.

Double-page supporter
As a former teacher it is indeed hard to fall into that mistake of preferring one student over the other, it gives you bias , it puts the students/professor dynamics into unbalance. He is trying to help him without giving in into his disorder, into his weaknesses because he will cling to them who knows until when. That's why he felt he made a mistake because he had the resolve to stop giving in and yet he hugged him.

Again this is just my perspective on the matter, it truly doesn't feel like an Ethics class to me but more a Philosophy class. What the other teacher said of not being therapists is bullshit that has been said by too many on the education department and that's why we deal with societal problems due to bad teachers/professors , kids see their teachers sometimes more than their parents and relatives, they must do the work to help a child/teenager the most he/she can , at least in my country when you are studying to be an educator you need to have a certain level of psychology training in order to address and help correct this issues, more important to identify them. But well that's why teaching isn't for everyone and that's why is one of the most important jobs out there , it isn't just relaying information, is forming future citizens, workers, friends, partners, lovers, bosses, judges etc , of course all limited to the premises of a school, kindergarten, university.

Dex-chan lover
@skullcarver I mean, Ethics IS philosophy. I minored in Philosophy and had several ethics classes that were very much like the teacher's class. The first one was more of a shallow dive into about two dozen various ethical issues and writers, the second was a deep dive "History of Ethics", focusing on moral philosophy by studying Hume, Kant, Aristotle and John Stuart Mill. That second class was one of the hardest I've ever taken. I was the only non-philosophy major in the class, and most of them were actually grad students working on their masters or ph.d. in philosophy.

Contributor
What a complex chapter with a complex problem, and it's interesting to see that there isn't always a solution.

I was rash last chapter, if the care for this character is anything to go by, so I think I should change my assessment back to something I had initially thought; the author wants this to be a discussion about empathy, and has little patience or like towards those who blantantly and purposefully do the opposite. Which is why making the concious decision to help in these complicated matters so difficult.

Group Leader
So wait did he hug him afterward or was it fake?
Did he hug him or nah?
The answer changes the outcome drastically

Group Leader
Tokigawa/Tomigawa/Toshigawa/Takigawa

The kid's name changes as much as his mood does in this chapter.

His professor's argument kinda... doesn't make sense. It's still ethical to refuse help to someone on the basis that the act is deemed too costly to oneself. He can afford to give a homeless man 5 dollar because he can afford, but he can't afford to give an african child 5 dollar, because the logistic cost would be too costly and inefficient. Similarly, he can't give every homeless man 5 dollars, for it will bankrupt him.

His temporary vs sustainable help argument also doesn't make sense. Just because giving someone a more sustainable aid is more ethical, doesn't mean giving them a temporary aid is meaningless.

@HolyDemon Maybe it's something along the lines of giving someone temporary help reinforces that notion in them that they can rely on temporary help and keeps them from being weaned out of their comfort zone? Still a bit of an exaggerated response to this though. Kid had an outburst, he's not dead... yet.

Users who are viewing this thread