webp support (now that all modern browsers finally support it) :rejected:

Dex-chan lover
With that laggard apple finally supporting webp in safari 14, all modern browsers now support webp.

So can mangadex reconsider to support webp? It would help with both faster loading and less bandwidth too.

8K76hPz.gif

Edit: for those saying no, provide your arguments, not just blank no for no reason.

Dex-chan lover
Stop beating dead horse. Even google barely uses webp.

Dex-chan lover
Only if you're willing to get me a new iPad, OP.
My old one is 8 years old and I refuse to update it for obvious reasons. 🙂

Dex-chan lover
@bzzbzz google uses webp quite a bit actually, they simply have a backup for browsers that didnt support it. Also by nature webp is simply a frame of webm, which is the default format serving youtube videos.

@halo my 8 year old android device still gets browser updates, i guess another downside to apple, that said even if you have an old device that wont get safari 14, there is webp pollyfill on canvas.

As for all those others saying no, do you have a good reason? The response against it before was browser compatibility. Now edge and safari support it so there is no excuse.

Webp benefits everyone as it reduces bandwidth for both mangadex and users and offers better quality.

Dex-chan lover
there is webp pollyfill on canvas.
No polyfills please. My old iPad gets really hot when I'm using MangaDex reader as is.
Please, if you don't want me to get burned, don't add any more javascript.

Dex-chan lover
@halo if you are having heat issues with mangadex asis, then there is your reason to buy a new tablet.

End of the day the amount of javascript on mangadex is only going to increase going forward. And not all javascript or css will work on old browsers too as no one is gonna bother testing on devices that make up 0.1% marketshare.

The benefits of webp for 99.9% outweigh that

Dex-chan lover
@halo you have organs right? sell those.

Plus these days you can get a good tablet for about 200 bucks, Id even bet some 100 bucks and below might be decent. Especially come black friday/cybermonday, or used.

it works in both chrome and firefox (and also safari), is compatibility realy a issue?
for old ios devices, just install a modern browser from app store should resolve.. and maybe even help your battery issues

Dex-chan lover
@knightreader
All browsers on iOS have to use the same core provided by the OS... which means that once the device stops getting updates, every single browser you could install would stop as well.

Dex-chan lover
Webp now has over 90% in caniuse. With all these high quality color hires comics being published, the benefits of webp would be huge.

Dex-chan lover
@eng1
I don't think you fully appreciate how big of a number 10% is. You are telling us it is acceptable for 1 in 10 people to be unable to read a chapter.

Dex-chan lover
@blackyawgdom can you provide a reason why not? You prefer slow loading chapters and website downtime?

@mrincognito - and i have already said you can polyfill for old browsers. But you gotta understand what that 10% makes up too. 1.5% is discontinued IE. Another 0.1 is discontinued version of edge. Another 0.6 is old versions of firefox or chrome. So 2.2% is due due to dead browsers. 2% on old safari and 5% on old ios safari.

And that will only shrink as more and more people move on so polyfilling for old browsers makes sense.

Look at it this way, as of january 11 2021, letsencrypt intermediate certificate will hit end of life. And their new signing will only work on newer browsers on newer oses. Aka, unless mangadex switches ssl providers people using some of these old browsers are gonna get errors.

End of the day its better to encourage people with old browsers like IE to stop using unsecure old browsers and give suggestions on a better more updated option while polyfilling for them as long as possible. But harming everyone makes 0 sense.

Dex-chan lover
@eng1
That 5% old iOS safari is the sticking point. The reason why it's old iOS safari is because it's old hardware, it's near impossible to get a better browser on it, and a polyfill Will Not Perform Well. 1 in 20 is still not an acceptable sacrifice.

And we're not having the "well just buy new hardware" conversation again.

Users who are viewing this thread