[Website] When looking at Listings of Mangas, series should be highlighted if Bookmarked

Dex-chan lover
When trying to find new series and using the advanced search or even recently added, it can be hard to remember/tell if you already bookmarked the series or gone through it.

My suggestion is to have Manga series's box be highlighted (or a highlight around the edge of the box) into different colors from being a dark grey (or light grey for Light theme users):

• Reading / Re-reading = Orange
  • Dropped = Dark Red
  • On Hold = Brown
  • Plan to Read = Green
  • Completed = Blue
(You can also have options for users to customize the colors themselves)
(Should have an additional option to hide dropped series)

This will allow users to wade through the listings with more ease and the veteran manga readers can find more series to try out.

Upvote 28
Manga is both singular and plural.
Good idea, but I'd rather see it next to or below the title in a colored box with text. This would result in better usability. Using only color to depict status is always going to be a way to get angry users.

Dex-chan lover
This is not blindcolor friendly but I like this idea !

It's frustrating when I don't remember if the manga is already in the dropped list.
I'm not sure what you mean. If you can customize the colors of the different types of Bookmarks, then any colorblind person would be able to change to something that matches their preference.

Dex-chan lover
When trying to find new series and using the advanced search or even recently added, it can be hard to remember/tell if you already bookmarked the series or gone through it.

My suggestion is to have Manga series's box be highlighted (or a highlight around the edge of the box) into different colors from being a dark grey (or light grey for Light theme users):

• Dropped = Dark Red
  • On Hold = Brown
  • Plan to Read = Green
  • Completed = Blue
(You can also have options for users to customize the colors themselves)
(Should have an additional option to hide dropped series)

This will allow users to wade through the listings with more ease and the veteran manga readers can find more series to try out.
Also maybe a way to "mark" manga without adding them to the list. So tired of searching for romance manga and having to block out the generic harem trash. I know I could block out the harem tag but there are a few good harem manga so I'm always on the lookout for those.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you can customize the colors of the different types of Bookmarks, then any colorblind person would be able to change to something that matches their preference.
I can't say for colorblind person but I think only color would still be tricky to use cuz colorblind result in the color is similar to one another so i think maybe put a text box with color on it under the title would work better.

Contributor
Also maybe a way to "mark" manga without adding them to the list. So tired of searching for romance manga and having to block out the generic harem trash. I know I could block out the harem tag but there are a few good harem manga so I'm always on the lookout for those.
Regarding this, ExH personalized tag implementation would be cool.
User can create red tag (or whatever color) for things they dislike, blue tag for things they care, etc.
User don't need to manually tag anything, the system will display the tag based on existing data.

Example:

qtwRbh0.png

Custom title
Staff
Developer
  • Dropped = Dark Red
  • On Hold = Brown
  • Plan to Read = Green
  • Completed = Blue
All this stuff is going to be majorly revamped into custom lists anyway. You shouldn't assume that in the future these categories will necessarily even exist for all users.

If this is about adding some way to see right there in the manga listing item if it has been added to at least one library list, that'd definitely be nice information to be able to easily verify. We did have something similar in v3, after all, so even just for parity purposes we should be looking into it, although admittedly it's unfortunately not going to be as simple to solve as back then due to the technical tradeoffs in how the site works now.

Dex-chan lover
If this is about adding some way to see right there in the manga listing item if it has been added to at least one library list, that'd definitely be nice information to be able to easily verify. We did have something similar in v3, after all, so even just for parity purposes we should be looking into it, although admittedly it's unfortunately not going to be as simple to solve as back then due to the technical tradeoffs in how the site works now.
Basically, yeah. As I said, once you get to a point where you've gone through hundreds of series and you're looking for new ones, it's difficult to go through listings because you can't identify which ones you're reading, completed, or dropped while viewing the listings.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Basically, yeah. As I said, once you get to a point where you've gone through hundreds of series and you're looking for new ones, it's difficult to go through listings because you can't identify which ones you're reading, completed, or dropped while viewing the listings.
That's true, but it's also a problem that could theoretically be resolved in other ways, like with an option to exclude bookmarked manga from the search - although that also comes with its own set of difficult technical issues. Who knows, maybe there's yet another way to solve it we haven't thought of.

I would love to be able to filter by my reading status in the advanced search.

I search for new manga pretty often and usually have to click past the first few pages of manga that i have allready read or partially read, allowing the user to filter by reading status none for example would make it possible to only show manga that i have not seen before. Maybe in addition to that a reading status that fills the role of "not Plan-to-Read" would be nice. Otherwise i would probably just use the "Dropped" status for manga that ive seen but dont plan to read.

tyvm for your time

mod note - merged into existing thread

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be nice as an additional filter for the advanced search:
A dropdownlist for library status:
  • all
  • not in library
  • in library (any status)
  • reading
  • dropped
(and showing said library status somehow in the search results, relevant for option "in library (any status)")
Alternatively use a dropdownlist like for languages with the integrated checkboxes. Best would be for this variant, if possible, that it contains a toggle for all on/off.

Sometimes someone asks me for a recommendation. I know that I have read that manga, but forgot its actual name. With this I could search through my library only, making it easier for me to find the manga I'm trying to remember.

Dex-chan lover
I've been waiting for an option to filter out dropped/blacklisted entries for a while, or even stuff that are in your library. Anything will do as long as I can hide what I don't want to see and helps with discovering new stuff quickly.

I like this idea a lot, so I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring with a mini mock-up of a few more accessible ideas

Idea #1 Bookmarks with icon:
1st Item: Currently Reading
2st Item: Completed

Idea #2 Existing Status gets removed and replaced with ours
3rd Item: Dropped

Idea #3 Separate status
4th Item: Dropped

Dex-chan lover
I find that 50% of my time searching for a new series is going “oh this looks interesting based on the cover” clicking it, and finding out I read the first chapter and didn’t like it, having a system to show if you’ve read any of a series, or alternatively which list it’s in as mentioned above would save so much time 😭

Contributor
I like the above ideas, my suggestion is simpler: Put an icon on the image cover (large enough to be seen, but small enough to be discrete. The icons I suggest is (©} for completely read manga, and (®) for manga you are reading, and lastly, (×) for dropped manga (that is the multiplication sign × not the letter x.

All this stuff is going to be majorly revamped into custom lists anyway. You shouldn't assume that in the future these categories will necessarily even exist for all users.

Based on the suggestion here, could it be okay to implement it as follows:

1. have an api that would return all custom lists of a user (with list names)
2. on initial login, fetch and save contents of each list locally for user
2.1. if there would be a need to fetch all lists' contents at any time, api from #1 and locally saved could include modified date timestamp for each list. if server and local modified dates are different - refetch and update the local data.
2.2. local data could be a mapping of list name to manga title id
2.3. or maybe the other way around - manga-to-list name, since it would be easier to both update and use
3. on update of any of the lists (add/remove manga), also update the local storage
4. when any listing with mangas is loaded, get list of loaded manga title ids (using JS) and fetch all lists containing this manga from local storage
5. display list names for each manga in UI

If you decide to implement it this way, don't forget that a user could have all of MD library times any amount of lists they would have, so both initial fetches and local storage size could be quite big. This wouldn't be too concerning right now since each manga can be in only one list (read/not read etc.), but based on what you say, this will change later on. Maybe this is one of the concerns that stops you from doing it this way?

Users who are viewing this thread