Welcome to Japan, Elf-san! - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - Welcome to Japan, Elf-san. (2)

One of the big challenges to suspension of disbelief for fantasy is explaining how the non-human characters ended up humanoid. Some sort of panspermia or genetic exchange across dimensions might explain having life based on DNA+RNA+protein. Convergence of life on planets in the liquid water zone of stars with similar metalicity to the Sun could explain having similar sets of essential amino acids in the animal life. Having the species with complex cultures being featherless bipeds, not so much.

Viruses crossing evolutionary lineages mostly depends on evolutionary proximity of the hosts plus lots physical proximity for the viruses to evolve to be cross-host pathogens. We tend to share viruses with other old world monkey/ape lineages and with our domestic animals. The analogy of elves to immunologically naive human populations only works if elves are actually hominids (as close to us as chimps). That would mean they are, somehow, recent human off-shoots. Couldn't happen with independent evolution or very rare genetic exchange across dimensions/worlds.

In Tolkien, because he was a theist, the various human-like species were created in the image of the same set of human-like deities. Because Middle Earth elves can share food with humans, we must assume lots of shared biochemistry. Still there's no basis for measuring evolutionary proximity or really guessing about shared pathogens or antigens. How the heck an elf mom doesn't reject a human-elf hybrid fetus is never adequately explained.

Group Leader
@Aichan
1. really? did you know that during ww2 they do slavery in their colonies? is ww2 15th century? those nationalism shit see what imperal do in past is "as japanese you must have slave"

2. whoa gossip? my country was ex-japan colony, did they apolgize to us nor give compensation? big NO. is my country comunism in past? no either

3. i didnt ask for entire descendant to aplogize/compensate, if they had fullfil their responsible

Dex-chan lover
@TjapDjemboet
1. really? did you know that during ww2 they do slavery in their colonies? is ww2 15th century?
Where? You're talking about the Burmese Road, right? Work camps aren't slavery. They were inhuman, sure, but even in WW1, the European countries use work camps. The Russians did the same thing, but nobody complained about them. Post-war, Communist China did worse, and still doing it to this day. Nobody complains about them.

2. whoa gossip? my country was ex-japan colony, did they apolgize to us nor give compensation? big NO. is my country comunism in past? no either
Which country? Indonesia? It's hard to dispute you when I don't know where you're from.

3. i didnt ask for entire descendant to aplogize/compensate, if they had fullfil their resposible
They already did their responsibility. Difference is, you don't care enough to find out about it and simply listened to hearsay.

Group Leader
@Aichan
1. sure you can search all history in internet as you want, but do you ever listen directly from the victim itselfs that what have they done to them?

2. do i have to? even big country such korea(that not communist one) still pressing apology from japan 'till now. what do you expect from developing country with low finance to press big country like them can do?

3. what? did they directly visit victim family or vist the grave? none

d

just wait until she looks like my avatar in 3 chapters when mc brings over some orcs by accident

Double-page supporter
@aFFi been there and the only good thing about it is the nature and pretty clean air. I'm from the shit hole Holland btw

Dex-chan lover
yes, yesss, save that for later tonight.... (Emperor Palpatine style "yes")

Dex-chan lover
@TjapDjemboet
1. sure you can search all history in internet as you want, but do you ever listen directly from the victim itselfs that what have they done to them?
So you have just admitted that you didn't care about facts and your entire argument is based on hearsay? Got it.

2. do i have to? even big country such korea(that not communist one) still pressing apology from japan 'till now. what do you expect from developing country with low finance to press big country like them can do?
And yet South Korea is the country that has received the largest amount of open apologies from Japan, to the point that "During an impending visit in 1990 to Japan by South Korean president Roh Tae Woo Japanese cabinet secretary Ozawa Ichiro reportedly said, "it is because we have reflected on the past that we cooperate with [South] Korea economically. Is it really necessary to grovel on our hands and knees and prostrate ourselves any more than we already have?"

3. what? did they directly visit victim family or vist the grave? none
Why exactly would they personally visit the victim's family or their graves? What purpose does that fulfill other than media publicity? Do you know how many people died in World War 2? Do you think anyone has any possible time to visit each of the families of the victims or their graves? Especially when the people who did the atrocities were already executed for war crimes and the ones left over were actually people who rejected the war criminals' actions in the first place?

Read this chapter before going to work, enjoyed it, came back and see a flame war. It's 2 lines people! More like 2 half-sentences and people are digging up WW2! One of the lines sounds like a translator word choice!

This chapter fits right into an IRL experience of a tourist in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised he the author literally took an IRL memory and mapped it to the chapter with fantasy elements. From the conversation about leaving the shoes behind, to how that leads to discussions about the crime rate leading to the waitress to even the reaction of the waitress to a cute foreigner. Not to mention the later line line of "tumultuous history" is just like the opening of a tourist asking question about history (IRL sometimes it just floats around things like the Sengoku period because it's a fun topic, and yes, sometimes it can go into more heavy topics - but my point is that panel is just like a tourist getting into history like an tourist).

But somehow, we gotta dig up WW2 and shit. Why...? The intention of the author is obviously mapping a regular conversation of a person in Japan. And it actually sounds like a real, normal conversation!

And particular to @aFFI, at least you are bringing up stuff at least semi-on topic. The MC is talking about modern day stuff - within his lines are about Japanese infrastructure, crime rates, and high levels of trust. Though at the same time, bring up the suicide and poverty rate is still... well... I mean look at the tone of this thread. 1/4 are at each other throats. Such a fluffy chapter but why harp on a conversation that even sounds like a normal conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread