Welcome to the site! (MangaRock refugee thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was an old user of mangadex

Until work forces me out of the grid 😭

Can tachiyomi be used to save low quality rip-off? 😅

Group Leader
@iDeSmI Tachiyomi doesn't have an iOS release.

@Pauan NetworkInformation.type is a draft API that is not supported on iOS (or desktop, for that matter). Service Workers are supported on iOS, but not for push notifications or background sync, which is basically the entire purpose you're proposing them for. You're ultimately limited to only being able to populate the cache when the user is actively using the app. For offline support, that's not useless, as it does cover scenarios where the user has connectivity and then loses it unexpectedly (or temporarily), but doesn't cover the "user pulls their phone out to read manga while in the subway" scenario.

I still think an application shell around a progressive web app would be the best compromise: the vast majority of the work/effort would be cross-platform, and should anything happen to the app store entry (such as removal by Apple or Google), it would still work in the browser, albeit without a few features like background sync.

Another refugee here ^^ but I've been wondering, if you don't mind me asking, what are the precautions and action by the team behind mangadex so this site won't end up as another sinking ship like bato.to and mangarock? From what I've seen there only need single big online persona with holier-than-thou attitude to blew it up on social media to make the bomb to start ticking and sink this site too.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@HollowPointX
There is nothing stopping a truly determined publisher in Japan from coming after us, but we've taken great pains to make going after MD more trouble than it's worth:

1. We don't host official scans or raws.
2. We do not profit off of the works hosted on MD.
3. Our webserver and image servers are hosted in countries where it is extremely difficult for a person or corporate entity to legally invade someone's privacy without a compelling reason to do so.
4. The money they'd have to invest in an investigation and then pursuing legal action against us would be wasteful compared to going after entities like KissManga, MR, and various other for profit scanlators/aggregates.

@Zephyrus ahh okay thanks for the concise answer mate ^o^ I'm really thankful for the site like mangadex and mangarock for providing place to people like me that really doesn't have access to obscure but amazing Manga in my country.

Also is there any way to contribute to the mangadex site other than money? I would donate if I could, but I'm a dirt poor college student T_T

So does mangadex has its own group of translators like MR or just waiting for random people to upload some?
Cause I found a lot of mangas that has been translated to several languages except english. I mean why would you do that?
Just find a mangareader website in your own country instead of dividing the content for everyone.. or just simply learn english....

@konzolmester sorry I couldn't comprehend what do you meant by dividing the content? "why would you do that?" also do what? Sorry I'm a little slow. I think (CMIIW) mangadex has similar system as bato.to whereas scanlator can upload their scanlation to this site but they can freely delete it from this site.

Dex-chan lover
I LOL'd at the title
2M17AXt.jpg

that said from what i've seen, it seems they're going legit with the MR Comics rebranding?

Well for one thing this website needs badly of an overhaul.
You guys need to implement mouse over interactions with more detail and comprehensible informations and notifications of my 200+ manga updates.
Cause that Follows list is clunky and useless. How about putting notfications on my MDList where I can see that instantly what I want to continue.
Hate to say it but just copy a few extremely usefull things from MR. I don't think they mind :D

@Guspaz That's true, however standards move fast. As for caching, MangaDex already has a "preload this entire chapter" button. It also has a setting that will cause it to automatically preload up to 20 pages (and as you read it will keep preloading more).

Sure it would be nice to have background caching with service workers, but the current system isn't too bad, and it will only get better with time as more features get implemented in the browsers.

I agree that an app shell can work (many apps work that way), but it's up to MangaDex to decide whether the effort is worth it or not (especially if service workers take off in the near future).

is a Reindeer
VIP
@konzolmester The MangaDex scanlation group exists and focuses on dropped series. It consists of a mix of staff and community volunteers, some from other scan groups. https://mangadex.org/group/2233/mangadex-scans

We ourselves are also long-time scanlators. https://mangadex.org/group/1

Cause I found a lot of mangas that has been translated to several languages except english. I mean why would you do that?
Scanlation scene is quite large in other parts of the world. There's a large population of french, spanish, and indonesian speaking scanlators. We're a global site that supports all languages of scanlation, not just English or French or S like every other aggregator. There's nothing that guarantees a series will be translated into English. This is just a hobby, done by people who want to see some series translated. If you don't want to see the chapters in those languages, you probably want to look at the announcement post about filtering out languages.

@konzolmester you know that the team behind the site didn't receive a dime of the donation right? All of it goes to the server maintenance. Improving website is herculean task when you have limited member and resource. All of the features that you said might sound simple, but it quite a tasking endeavor (at least from my perspective as computer science major).

Not trying to be an ass or offensive, but I think we all should take a reality pill on web development and be a bit more appreciative to the team behind mangadex for doing all this for nothing 😊

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@konzolmester

Mangarock doesn't scanlate anything, they've been ripping content from here/Batoto the entire time. The "random people" you refer to upload the content that you've been reading on Mangarock the entire time.

Welcome to all new readers from MR...you'll find a better home here than you might think at first :)
Go MD and show them that you don't need shrewd and greedy actions to be successfull.

p.s. typo
P.P.S.S I have been reading online manga since early 2k (before I was buying hard copies of what I could find in my country ...and was not much) and this is the first ever online reader I actually supported with a few buck for a few month's (too bad recession hit me and lost my part time job so until I find a new one even few bucks are too much) and I don't regret it. That should tell you how different/good this is compared to basically everything else.

Group Leader
It's always great to see this page getting more attention as the one and only manga site.

Hail Mangadex.

@iDeSmI yeah I tried that app, but I didn't like it. It took forever to load, when I search for a manga it gives me an error and filtering manga does the same.

Edit: so I got the Mangadex extension to work on the searching and filtering parts. So everything is good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread