What Do You Call This Trash - Vol. 2 Ch. 30

Fed-Kun's army
Really disappointed it skipped the entire positive side of the story, but I suppose it is at least better than dragging out the negativity any longer.

Hello! It's your final dose of extra notes for this series.
  • (p. 2) It's said that babies become shy after around 6 months of age. Judging by the hair growth on this baby, it's probably close to 6 months old. Judging by the hair length of the baby at this age, the baby is probably male. However, I didn't want to take my chances and ended up using singular 'they'. "Natsu" is apparently a unisex name (though I've met more men with that name than women), so I can't tell for sure. But the most cruel part of this is naming your child "Konatsu Natsu".
  • (p. 5) Kamijo is the author mentioned by Class President Takigawa back in Ch. 8, p. 4. These two lovebirds are both Kamijo fans.
  • (p. 8) This clears up the air surrounding who is "Enmi" from Ch. 16, p. 5. The only clue at the time was the "round glasses" avatar. This also implies that she very well knew what Yuuto was going through when she noticed Yuuto feeling down in Ch. 23, p. 9. We still don't know the reading for her last name, though, as it never carried furigana back in Ch. 4, p. 2.
  • (p. 8) Akira says something a bit poetic here. "Mask" is here is (obviously) figurative; it refers to one's demeanor outside of their "true self".
  • (p. 8) Mentaiko is "pollock roe", the roe of the Alaskan pollock (a fish). It's a relatively common ingredient and/or side dish in Japanese cuisine.
  • (p. 8) Since gyoza was mentioned, I think it's worth noting that Tetsukazu is a serial gyoza fan. Here's an iconic tweet that they once made: "I'm a mangaka who loves gyoza and I usually eat [a piece of] gyoza every time I finish a draft that by the time I'm done writing, my brain has turned into gyoza." One of their most banger tweets.
  • (p. 8) There's a fuckton of Japanese text on the wall here, but I'm not translating that. All you have to know is that it's a menu, and the prices of the food are written at the bottom. Some diners opt to write this in calligraphy, and also write the numbers in kanji rather than Hindu-Arabic form.
This is the first series I've ever scanlated, and I've come a long way and learned a lot of things since day 1 when I worked on Ch. 1 in a dimly-lit dorm room. I'm very proud to have carried this series from start to finish. Thank you very much for your readership. Please buy the two volumes when they become available! I'll make a post on the forum thread for this series when that happens.

That's all from me for now. Again, thank you all so much. See you around!
Thank you for your hard work!

Dex-chan lover
I think by "endowed" they mean that he doesn't really have any hardships in life? His family loves him (though we know it's at Kai's expense) and they're comfortably middle class, which may have resulted in him being a bit idealistic. Not everybody has it as good as he does, so he might not be aware that there are people who don't encourage their children or make sure there is always dinner.

Anyway, thanks for the translations and sticking with the series! I really enjoyed it. Sure, I would've liked 10 more chapters to flesh things out a bit (in particular, some chapters between 29 and 30 to show the characters' changing dynamics), but I like how the author didn't simply lean into tropes.
or he's just that hung-up below :kek:

• (p. 2) It's said that babies become shy after around 6 months of age. Judging by the hair growth on this baby, it's probably close to 6 months old. Judging by the hair length of the baby at this age, the baby is probably male. However, I didn't want to take my chances and ended up using singular 'they'. "Natsu" is apparently a unisex name (though I've met more men with that name than women), so I can't tell for sure. But the most cruel part of this is naming your child "Konatsu Natsu".
  • (p. 5) Kamijo is the author mentioned by Class President Takigawa back in Ch. 8, p. 4. These two lovebirds are both Kamijo fans.
  • (p. 8) This clears up the air surrounding who is "Enmi" from Ch. 16, p. 5. The only clue at the time was the "round glasses" avatar. This also implies that she very well knew what Yuuto was going through when she noticed Yuuto feeling down in Ch. 23, p. 9. We still don't know the reading for her last name, though, as it never carried furigana back in Ch. 4, p. 2.
  • (p. 8) Akira says something a bit poetic here. "Mask" is here is (obviously) figurative; it refers to one's demeanor outside of their "true self".
  • (p. 8) Mentaiko is "pollock roe", the roe of the Alaskan pollock (a fish). It's a relatively common ingredient and/or side dish in Japanese cuisine.
  • (p. 8) Since gyoza was mentioned, I think it's worth noting that Tetsukazu is a serial gyoza fan. Here's an iconic tweet that they once made: "I'm a mangaka who loves gyoza and I usually eat [a piece of] gyoza every time I finish a draft that by the time I'm done writing, my brain has turned into gyoza." One of their most banger tweets.
  • (p. 8) There's a fuckton of Japanese text on the wall here, but I'm not translating that. All you have to know is that it's a menu, and the prices of the food are written at the bottom. Some diners opt to write this in calligraphy, and also write the numbers in kanji rather than Hindu-Arabic form.
This is the first series I've ever scanlated, and I've come a long way and learned a lot of things since day 1 when I worked on Ch. 1 in a dimly-lit dorm room. I'm very proud to have carried this series from start to finish. Thank you very much for your readership. Please buy the two volumes when they become available! I'll make a post on the forum thread for this series when that happens.

If this is your first time, I jus wanted to congratulate you! You've done a wonderful job!

Dex-chan lover
Surprisingly more lukewarm of an ending than expected but probably for the best frankly. They didn't resolve any of the more concerning plot elements but really everyone has moved on in a much healthier fashion. Good for them.

Group Leader

Thanks so much for scanlating this! This series went some interesting directions, but I'm glad he reconciled with his brother at the end.

I had question/comment about the first panel on pg 3, where Kai says "You two don't even look like me", I understood the original to mean more "He doesn't need to take after me that much", as in the child only likes Shion and Yuuto, so he takes after his father a lot in that aspect.

I might be mistaken though, I'm definitely not fluent in Japanese at all.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, it really is a happy end ! In the early chapters I would have bet 99:1 this would end in tragedy. I don't dislike it though, the rest of the series had plenty enough angst and reveals. A quiet, calm epilogue is nice enough. I'll note that nothing was said about Akira's current love life though.

Also, who is that in the last panel of the last page ? Is that from the series Yuuto and Shion are fans of ?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your great work @superstorm.

Dex-chan lover
This is the manga I needed when I was 19. It's not especially amazing, but it has done an incredible job of capturing one very specific feeling that is felt by a very specific subset of people, and I think that is amazing. I probably won't remember the name in the future, but I think its contents will be with me for a while.

Dex-chan lover
As abrupt as this ending felt, I liked this overall. The characters were all interesting and compelling in their own ways. And the drama that resulted from some of their actions was intriguing to see unfold.

Thank you for the translation (I can hardly believe this was your first time doing with this with how masterful it was from beginning to end. Needless to say, you've truly outdone yourself and I hope to see you again. Cheers!).

Group Leader
I had question/comment about the first panel on pg 3, where Kai says "You two don't even look like me", I understood the original to mean more "He doesn't need to take after me that much", as in the child only likes Shion and Yuuto, so he takes after his father a lot in that aspect.
I took a look into this one again and it seems like you're right; the joke fits better in this case. I did have a bit of a hard time trying to figure this panel out — translating comedy isn't that universally easy. I'll update the chapter shortly. Thanks for bringing this up!

Users who are viewing this thread