What is your most hated trope in manga right now?

I don't know why, but I am very tame. Like I don't really hate anything, but I would just get bored from cliché or overused to the point I know what happens next. However if they manage to do something unexpected or very very very bizarre, I would be very amused by it.

Dex-chan lover
When I click on a one-shot, but it only has 1 or 2 pages - it seems to happen more & more. Occasionally it's good, yet most seem like some author sketched a random thought without a beginning or end.

Dex-chan lover
I despise the troupe of MC that has dead love one in a harem genre which have everyone being pushed away and no meaningful interaction until surprise surprise , the dead love one is alive or revive etc.

Group Leader
Not really hate, more of a mild annoyance, but this is the thread where we can just complain without having to mind any particular context, so here we go: the trope where monarchs have the same name as the territory they govern, as often seen in fantasy works.

The annoyance comes from the fact that this trope is used in western-like settings, and I'm not aware of any western country or tribe in which the monarch has the same name as the territory. Usually it would be "John Doe baron of Foobar" or even "Mary Sue of the Quux tribe", but in manga it would be "John Foobar of the Foobar territory" or "Mary Quux of the Quux tribe".
In fact, I'm not even aware of any non-CJK (China, Japan, Korea) monarch that ever did that.

It is mild because nobody knows everything about other countries unless they go super nerd on their studies, something that comic authors rarely do especially if they write fantasy, so they can be excused for not knowing about certain details; also because during Japan feudal period, territories were actually called according to the clan of the daimyo, given that they were pretty much independent, so one can assume people in Japan are more prone to first think of their middle age than, say, France's.

Despite everything, though, it still annoys me so here we are.

Aggregator gang
Slimes. I hope that one day, every Japanese person gets their own slimes and chokes to death after hugging it.

Dex-chan lover
The annoyance comes from the fact that this trope is used in western-like settings, and I'm not aware of any western country or tribe in which the monarch has the same name as the territory.
it's not as unknown as that. a lot of dynasties were named after the first place (or the first more notable place) they ruled, and sometimes that is also the most notable place they ever ruled. the house of france (aka capetian) is the most famous case, although in modern times it's not called that as often. the habsburgs were also called the house of austria. houses of luxembourg, ivrea, normandy, burgundy, flanders, wessex, hanover, hohenzollern, these are other examples which became better known for ruling other titles than the ones they first ruled.

so really what it indicates is, long-term dynastic stability, such that they're identified with their title and nobody remembers their origins enough to call them by whatever name they had when they first began to rule.

and that is actually a fantasy trope that bugs me, when long-term dynastic stability is taken too much for granted. a song of ice and fire (game of thrones) is the worst offender.

Last edited:
Group Leader
it's not as unknown as that. a lot of dynasties were named after the first place (or the first more notable place) they ruled, and sometimes that is also the most notable place they ever ruled. the house of france (aka capetian) is the most famous case, although in modern times it's not called that as often. the habsburgs were also called the house of austria. houses of luxembourg, ivrea, normandy, burgundy, flanders, wessex, hanover, hohenzollern, these are other examples which became better known for ruling other titles than the ones they first ruled.
Yes, of course there are also names like that, but the Habsburg of Austria were not literally called Austria as their surname. "House of Austria" was used to indicate their political power, but on the family register they were called "Habsburg" and even the contemporary intellectuals called them "the Habsburg of the House of Austria".
I'm complaining about character whose literal name as written on their magical ID card that cannot be counterfeited is the name of an entire continent.

Dex-chan lover
I'm complaining about character whose literal name as written on their magical ID card that cannot be counterfeited is the name of an entire continent.
Yeah! Everyone knows that only B-tier Italian navigators get to have entire continents named after themselves!

Portrait_of_Amerigo_Vespucci.jpg

Dex-chan lover
When cliches/tropes completely replace a whole character. Good example is Tsundere. The writing doesn't go into detail why they are like this, the trope is hamfisted into the character and that's all to the character. It's annoying and it's boring. And I'm counting the seconds until that character disappears from the scene because they are a literal drain to the rest of the characters who do actually matter

Fed-Kun's army
I dont know if this is a trope but I definitely hate the lesbian best friend of the romantic interest, like she acts like a total bitch to the MC, sometimes even in front of the other girl and somehow nobody cares and she keeps her place as a best friend, it makes me hate her and the romantic interest for being such a dumbass

Contributor
Never forget.

slmg8p.png
I want to forget
My all-time hated trope is tsundere characters; I don't get why anyone finds them interesting or entertaining. They act more like mobile drama balls than sympathetic characters. I've wanted desperately for an MC to react to their bullshit with a simple, "Oh, you don't like me? Fair enough, I won't talk to you again," and have that be the end of their relationship until/unless the tsundere actually matures and realizes how much of a pain in the ass they are, but I have yet to see that in any manga. I watched Familiar of Zero, and by the end of the first season, I was hoping that the MC would turn his plane around and strafe all of those assholes before escaping from the hell that they'd summoned him into.

More abstractly, tonal inconsistency. I get light, fluffy manga about, I dunno, a group of otaku in an office falling in love. I get dark, heavy manga about a girl seeking revenge against an emperor who murdered her entire family without understanding the political situations involved. I even get the slow, desperate spiral into doom that Helck and some other manga manage to pull off. But yoyoing back and forth between wacky slice of life romcom antics with a pair of cousing trying to take care of this weird girl they found on a beach, and horrifying scenes of little girls getting their limbs torn off, is fucking awful. Or the random, one-off scene in some power-fantasy monster-of-the-week adventure story where we learn that oh yeah, the government is running a brutal program slaughtering thousands of clones of the main character (who is, of course, a child) and now it's just in the manga's world forever, and the characters just move on. It makes me hesitant to start reading certain genres because of how rife they are with this edgelord shit.

More recently, shit worldbuilding. People have already mentioned status screens, paper thin settings, hideous understanding of morality, and plots that exist only to glorify the MC, but it goes even deeper. Nothing in their worlds make sense. They're not filled with people, they have cardboard cutouts, waiting for the MC to show up and show them how to exist in the world that they've supposedly been living in for millennia. I just read a manga where it was noted that fish was expensive because no one knew how to keep it safe for eating past a few days. Because this was, of course, a medieval world. Meanwhile, we've been preserving meat practically since before civilization existed on Earth!
When the isekai world cannot figure out how rice works, and the protagonist has to teach them how to prepare and cook a crop they've ostensibly had for centuries, probably millenia. Manga is hazure potion ga shouyu datta no de ryouri suru koto ni shimashita. Which unironically has the plot of "No one tried using this magical potion for anything, and our protagonist is the first one to realize that it's actually magic soy sauce, and not garbage".

Absolutely stupid

Last edited:
Power Uploader
The consensual rape in most loli hentais. It's kinda off putting nocap 👨‍🦼

Dex-chan lover
I have a new most hated trope...... Naive MC's that refuse to kill people even those that are literally trying to kill them. It's getting way too common (Especially in Isekai series) where it makes no sense as to why they won't. Sometimes a series will cop out and have some rando monster or bigger badguy off the enemy just so MC doesn't have too and thats just as bad.

Series that make female characters or the main ones pointlessly stupid and aggressive when it comes to the mc like the infamous accidental pervert cliché, even when it was a clear accident and not his fault.

Dex-chan lover
I hate the trope where they try to write a smart character but due to their own intellectual limitations they have to dumb down other characters, so that they can make the smart character look smart. It's stupid.

I have a new most hated trope...... Naive MC's that refuse to kill people even those that are literally trying to kill them. It's getting way too common (Especially in Isekai series) where it makes no sense as to why they won't. Sometimes a series will cop out and have some rando monster or bigger badguy off the enemy just so MC doesn't have too and thats just as bad.
sub trope is mc that wont kill/hit female characters no matter what

Fed-Kun's army
When a character gets introduced just to stir up some drama which will get resolved next chapter anyway. It's a really lame way to introduce drama between a couple, and just shows bad writing. The drama should come from the differences between the couple.

Group Leader
I hate the MC is unaware of how strong he is troupe. Killer shark Isekai has a chapter of that exact kind of MC dying and it was so satisfying. I also hate when they become arrogant/cocky when they get strong due to getting lucky and having done little to no work for their abilitiy. It seems it's hard to get a balance between these two for writers with an OP MC.

Users who are viewing this thread