Yajin Tensei: Karate Survivor in Another World - Vol. 8 Ch. 52 - After Combat Training

Dex-chan lover
While sort of cringy, this is the exact reason I don't like equivocating humanity to goodness.

In the words of Disco Elysium, "It's basically all just evil apes dukin' it out on a giant ball."

no matter how humanoid they are, they are still monsters.
Technically the same could be said about Yajin lol. He even gets XP from killing humans, something he's failed to take advantage of so far, but maybe he will start farming groups of bandits like he did in this chapter. I would guess he does not kill the noncombative bandit child if there actually is one, especially if he's reminded of Puppy.

Dex-chan lover
There is a quote: "Kindness is a luxury for the strong" that I think pretty much fits this. I think its not that he doesn't want to be kind but he doesn't have the leeway to be kind.
That may be true, but kindness is a mindset and for several episodes now it's been shown that he has lost that mindset

Dex-chan lover
That may be true, but kindness is a mindset and for several episodes now it's been shown that he has lost that mindset
I can 100% see how someone could have this reading, especially since even when he acts nice he's thinking "I better pretend to be a nice person so they like me and I can get something out of it ."

In terms of his actual actions, he is motivated by protecting Puppy, he solved the Melgo thing with the lowest amount of violence (even though killing Melgo might have allowed him to pass a level barrier), he seems to understand and not resent Melgo's successor considering betraying him and just decides to distance himself from someone he can't trust, he protected the traveler with him a while back, he was a dependable and humble worker for the dissemblers, etc.

My reading is more that everything in his conscious mind is risk/benefit analysis due to being in survival mode this long, with his other emotions being suppressed to a subconscious level and then filtered through his sense of guilt and self doubt. Despite that, protecting innocents was part of his calculus for what he did this chapter. We could say he's just trying to come up with a justification to feel better about his actions, but to me it's revealing that the idea of actually helping someone, even someone he never met and likely never will meet, makes him feel better.

Dex-chan lover
It's an ending cutscene, but not a perfect stealth one though. If he had left those two, they leave the shelter after he burns the village and vow revenge. Perfect Stealth ending they get off-screened, nothing left alive as the village burns, you just know he killed a bunch of kids on the way out.
I see what you mean. Like he off them without them even knowing either from range or from the shadows, at the cost of a dramatic scene probably.

Dex-chan lover
I can 100% see how someone could have this reading, especially since even when he acts nice he's thinking "I better pretend to be a nice person so they like me and I can get something out of it ."

In terms of his actual actions, he is motivated by protecting Puppy, he solved the Melgo thing with the lowest amount of violence (even though killing Melgo might have allowed him to pass a level barrier), he seems to understand and not resent Melgo's successor considering betraying him and just decides to distance himself from someone he can't trust, he protected the traveler with him a while back, he was a dependable and humble worker for the dissemblers, etc.

My reading is more that everything in his conscious mind is risk/benefit analysis due to being in survival mode this long, with his other emotions being suppressed to a subconscious level and then filtered through his sense of guilt and self doubt. Despite that, protecting innocents was part of his calculus for what he did this chapter. We could say he's just trying to come up with a justification to feel better about his actions, but to me it's revealing that the idea of actually helping someone, even someone he never met and likely never will meet, makes him feel better.
I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. From what we can see, the best thing we can assume is his moral compass is still working, but the joy of helping someone, which is basically what drives kind people, is not someone we see as far as I can remember

Dex-chan lover
I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. From what we can see, the best thing we can assume is his moral compass is still working, but the joy of helping someone, which is basically what drives kind people, is not someone we see as far as I can remember
I tend to think of kindness as being more about intentions in how the person treats other people, rather than how that person feels about it, but I would mostly agree in terms of your meaning. There's very little joy coming from him in general and it's mostly in relation to Puppy, eating, or fighting when he does experience it.

These creatures multiply quickly. Before long, there would have been fifty of them and they would have attacked en masse. He destroyed their nest. They'll never forget that. And the survivors of a nest learn, become smarter. There is no reason to let them live.

A good goblin? There might be, if we just looked. But I think... the only good goblins are the ones who never come out of their stinking holes.
Spoken like a true Goblin Slayer.

He feels some morals but forgets they have more likely raided other towns and many of those hanging from the trees have families alone now. It's not fun but killing threats is natural for survival.

Users who are viewing this thread