Yajin Tensei: Karate Survivor in Another World - Vol. 8 Ch. 52 - After Combat Training

Fed-Kun's army
One of the better points of this series is tracking the mental health and toll on the main character. Not only does he act realistically but he checks in with himself to monitor his own thinking. So there are times when he acts sub optimally but he knows and acknowledges it. For example, he doesn't want to purely live as a hermit despite it objectively being safer, he knows it wouldn't be good for his mental health since he needs the stimulation of civilization periodically. Similarly he knows that he has hesitation or indifference and he reflects on it.

In a different series, he'd just forgive the kid who planned to kill him and remain friends, or he'd exterminate an entire village without hesitation or remorse. This series is much more human in its approach even with the increased brutality (where the violence is sanitized).

Dex-chan lover
His goal is not to just live in the wilderness forever, though, but to find somewhere he can actually live. Also he's a dad now. He's just numb from these constant life or death situations while not having anyone he can completely trust or to encourage him. If that situation changes, it's likely his temperament will as well. The numbness is basically a psychological defense we have to get through crisis mode, not necessarily a sign of eroding humanity or anything like that.

I would also say kindness is relative - it's easy or at least easier to be kind when you have nothing to lose. He may not be "a kind person", whatever that means (no one is really a consistent type of person), but I would say he tries best to consider others' well being to the extent his situation allows.
While sort of cringy, this is the exact reason I don't like equivocating humanity to goodness.

Dex-chan lover
When he said he'd gain experience fighting groups, I thought it meant he'd be fighting multiple goblins at once.
Instead it means dragging them into bushes.

Dex-chan lover
Nah, you lose the achievement the moment the mother and child look him in the eye. To get the perfect clear, you have to stab through the tarp covering them.
I take your point, completely fair and true. Though in my mind that’s a cutscene at the end because our MC get to have a pondering monologue (hence my line on probably).

Dex-chan lover
Lesson to me, whenever I see a tarp, I would leave it untouched. I would retain my good conscience then.

Dex-chan lover
MC used 6day to clear a little camp.

in Farcry like 10min at most.
In Fallout 4 a Fatman hit or a Big Boy boom to own that settlement ( by force of course ).

I still remember what I did to Sommerville Place. The one with dad 👨 and children ❤️ 💕 ♥️ 💖 💗 💙 💥 💥 💥 boom!

Dex-chan lover
This ain't that kind of game. The one and only achievement is to stay alive to see the next day.
Really only talking about how people were saying that it was a perfect stealth achievement. He survived, and was able to practice in case he ever needs to do a genocide, or even just topple a community.

Dex-chan lover
I take your point, completely fair and true. Though in my mind that’s a cutscene at the end because our MC get to have a pondering monologue (hence my line on probably).
It's an ending cutscene, but not a perfect stealth one though. If he had left those two, they leave the shelter after he burns the village and vow revenge. Perfect Stealth ending they get off-screened, nothing left alive as the village burns, you just know he killed a bunch of kids on the way out.

Dex-chan lover
I think he's long past the point where you could call him a kind person. You can call him a strong person, not just physically, but not kind
There is a quote: "Kindness is a luxury for the strong" that I think pretty much fits this. I think its not that he doesn't want to be kind but he doesn't have the leeway to be kind.

Dex-chan lover
I don't remember where but I once heard someone say this regarding compassion.
"Compassion, is not a moral virtue or a weakness. Compassion is a commodity, that your humanity repeatedly tries selling you, and it is something soldiers rarely have the privilege to afford."

Users who are viewing this thread