Yancha Gal no Anjou-san - Ch. 174 - Inuyama-kun Wants to Graduate

Dex-chan lover
He found in art a way to express his desires, so he will not be able to suppress them as long as these desires remain desires and not reality. The right way is for her to understand that this is normal for a boy and that it will probably disappear or decrease with maturity.

Dex-chan lover
I think I kinda called it, but I guess it's obvious. Bro likes lewd, but he also likes having a girlfriend and being in a good and healthy relationship.

He just needs to find the balance for both. Especially since Toyoda already knew what he's about, and likes him anyway.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, Okay. He wants to draw the human form in all it's glory and not some stupid bullshit fruit bowl.

In this chapter he talks about how gatcha prizes and donuts are erotic...hell this page is practically his artist statement:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/c31ba91f-9c79-4eb3-af84-7fa5d3c0cdfd/9

So like if he wasn't actively trying to tamp down that part of himself, he could draw a bowl of fruit infused with eroticism.

Which yay that he actually told Toyoda 'cause like now she can reassure him that she likes him for who he is, the gross parts included - like that was an affectionate gross not an ick gross.

Dex-chan lover
Is page 10 the first time his forehead hasn't been completely colored in? I'm not going to go back to check, but it feels like the first time I've seen his eyebrows since whenever I look at him I'm like "dude, where's the rest of your head?"

Dex-chan lover
lol, lots of readers overreacting at the instructor despite the fact she's 100% right and not even being mean about it. He's taken a spot in a college prep course and is phoning it in. Of course they'll view it as a waste of time (theirs and his) when someone else could have taken his spot instead.

Dex-chan lover
if I remember correctly Tomoya hate lewd stuff from the beginning, and she somewhat gain a bit of resistance to it since being with Inuyama but in the core i still think she dont like it. Inuyama knew that and try change himself, in his mind he struggle to choose ether Tomoya or lewd.
I guess its time for Tomoya to think about this herself.

Dex-chan lover
I think people should understand that the place they're going to isn't an art school the way you think it is.

It's a college prep school.

It's a place where they teach you less about how to draw and more about how to develop work that could get you into your university of choice. Think of it as mock exams for art students, if you fail that "exam" they'll let you know at the critique. Yatomi Painting Class, where both Inuyama and Toyoda came from is an actual art class where they teach techniques and fundamentals. Prep school are more advanced and starts diving into intent and expression. Prep school instructors will tell you what you are lacking, in Inuyama's case it's that his art is bland.

Teachers at prep schools are very harsh because their schools have reputations to uphold, usually on their pamphlets they would list a percentage of successful college entrants from their school. If you're not at a level where they think you might even stand a chance, they would much rather you not come at all and give that spot up to someone else more talented/hard-working. You're paying them to guide you and they're betting on you to deliver.

The teacher is harsh but right, she's not shitting on his work and she even said his composition is fine and details are clear. But she is saying that his work is not up to par for something that could get into college. It's better to weed out people who are phoning it in, save their money, save the teacher's time, and save the opportunity for someone else.

Admittedly she said she's assuming Inuyama is a slacker, but she doesn't know how hard he tries.

On a side note, one way to remedy boring still life is to increase contrast when rendering the objects. If everything is too clean and perfect then it's really not visually striking. One way Inuyama could improve is actually to render only a specific object in clear detail while leaving others more loose (but still accurate). This bias injected into the work tells the viewer what the artist is interested in and what they consider the star of the composition, hence "intention" and "meaning".

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Wow, that entire bit with the teacher took the breath out of me. I was so stunned.

Aggregator gang
I think people should understand that the place they're going to isn't an art school the way you think it is.

It's a college prep school.

It's a place where they teach you less about how to draw and more about how to develop work that could get you into your university of choice. Yayomi Painting Class, where both Inuyama and Toyoda came from is an actual art class where they teach you how to make better art.

Teachers at prep schools are very harsh because their schools have reputations to uphold, usually on their pamphlets they would list a percentage of successful college entrants from their school. If you're not at a level where they think you might even stand a chance, they would much rather you not come at all and give that spot up to someone else more talented/hard-working. You're paying them to guide you and they're betting on you to deliver.

The teacher is harsh but right, she's not shitting on his work and she even said his composition is fine and details are clear. But she is saying that his work is not up to par for something that could get into college. It's better to weed out people who are phoning it in, save their money, save the teacher's time, and save the opportunity for someone else.

Admittedly she said she's assuming Inuyama is a slacker, but she doesn't know how hard he tries.
It's very obvious that most of the people commenting on this are in high school and have no idea what any other type of teaching looks like.

Dex-chan lover
Perhaps, or perhaps 3 times were enough to see that his work is for some reason lackluster.
Could she have used more tact in the way she phrased it? obviously.

Now there are a few reasons why a character is portrayed like that.

It could be that they have been going there for more than 3 times, but the others were "off-screen".

It could be because the mangaka wants to "force" the "confrontation" we witness(between inuyama and toyoda) to happen without having to draw 20 extra panels for that, and well, let's face it, kind and encouraging words from the teacher would not make that happen, a "slap in the face" statement like the one she said would.

Then there is also the change that the teacher is acting the part of the "asshole" in order to try and push the students to push themselves and show results. Or at least help someone who seems to not be able to cut it to save wasting money on lessons that don't seem to help them.

But yes, there is the slight change that the mangaka wanted to portray her as a bitch...be he hasn't done that so far, at least not to that extent. So I kinda doubt it that this is the case.
Oh, I get all of that. She's 100% just a plot device to get those two to move forward. I think it's necessary but not executed well. I don't need the teacher to use flattering words. I think that a slap in the face is what was needed for Inuyama. She is supposed to be that "I don't hold anything back for the sake of my students" kind of teacher. And I guess there's some tension between her and the other teacher. Like I said before, her being a teacher they have known for a while would be more impactful imo. But like you said, there may have been some visits off screen. However, that kinda makes it worse. We don't know how often they've gone there.

I think the tension is great. Inuyama/Toyoda being the inverse of Anjou/Seto is great. They are fun and I like what the author is cooking. I am just hung up on this little thing that the author threw in there.

Author introduced the female instructor to stir up some drama that I get, but it's poorly executed. Like the f* is up with that ambiguous comment? Basic art classes (imagine university entrance exam prep classes) are really technical. Technical. They only teach techniques, mostly 3 things: lines, shapes, and lighting. A good teacher will force you to draw an apple hundreds of times just to get a good rendering, but will never talk about vague craps like "feeling". Good teacher will fix your drawing and tell you how to improve, not act high and mighty to their students. Like wtf does feeling have to do with fruits and vases? Lady please stfu you makes other art teachers look bad

t. I went to art class before and now a part-time illustrator

Dex-chan lover
At least he realized the issue, he's just not willing to fix it (yet).

The solution to this entire arc is literally just a handjob.
That's the coward's way out.
Clearly the solution is seggs.
A boob job would motivate him more
You fools, she clearly needs to sit on his face.

Basic art classes (imagine university entrance exam prep classes) are really technical. Technical. They only teach techniques, mostly 3 things: lines, shapes, and lighting. A good teacher will force you to draw an apple hundreds of times just to get a good rendering, but will never talk about vague craps like "feeling". Good teacher will fix your drawing and tell you how to improve, not act high and mighty to their students. Like wtf does feeling have to do with fruits and vases? Lady please stfu you makes other art teachers look bad

t. I went to art class before and now a part-time illustrator
This isn't a technical art class. This is a class to prep you for the entrance exam for a fine art class. You're expected to already have that technical stuff handled. You're not here to illustrate, you're here to make art.

Supporter
Oh, Okay. He wants to draw the human form in all it's glory and not some stupid bullshit fruit bowl.

I'm sorry teacher, but I can't draw some random box and a ladle provocatively. Such things don't turn me on.

I'm sorry, you're saying this about the guy who found a wooden chair so erotic he had to pull it as a gacha? You drastically underestimate his perviness.

Dex-chan lover
For all the joke I could make, and the "weirdness" of this arc, I like the idea behind it.
I wonder if, like Seto, it's going to adress Toyoda's fear of intimacy and physical contact?

Plus, big up for trying to do something interesting with the usually pretty cliché tropes of the "pervert best friend".

I just hope the conclusion won't be as simple as "he get to cop a feel and everything's better now".

That teacher really felt like a dick here. Saying that hes "phoning" it when hes putting his own time and effort and taking notes too. Its not like he's just messing around hes actively trying, and them telling him that his art's bad doesnt encourage whatsoever

Users who are viewing this thread