Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 184 - A Dumb Party Trick (v2)

Dex-chan lover
what if he just pricks himself and bleeds into a bottle or something then lets her drink it :thonk:

Dex-chan lover
Fun fact, in md alternative versions aren't named "v2", and the v2 in this title is actually the translation of the real jp title!
Or something like that.

Dex-chan lover
nah I think he knows what happening. She stops sucking his blood, he hears her panting right next to him, and then she says she needs to go? He's dense but not that dense
I want YOU to be right so fucking much.

There is nothing I hate more than ME being right.

Nothing good has even come from me being right. (Looks at my medical records)

Dex-chan lover
I don't want to inadvertently send the message that I even have confidence in what I'm talking about just because I can use a search engine, Google Translate, and Japanese Stack Exchange. I also don't want to play backseat proofreader or backseat translator-- I've just become interested in comparing translations with the script they intend to translate ever since the American corporate tendency to not translate what they say they're translating started hitting close to home with this manga.

That said, I found the raw for this chapter and I realized that there was a difficult-to-figure-out difference between this and the Viz adaptation on p.5, when Kou thinks back to what started his insomnia.

The Viz adaptation has Kou pinning it squarely on Asakura, talking about how she "cornered" him. Meanwhile, this one has Kou alluding to that ("I could have done without all that drama") but more explicitly stating the "harassment" from Asakura's friends.

I was thinking that 知らない女子 was in reference to Asakura's friends, but trying to figure out possible meanings for 詰められるclose to "harass", it seemed the most applicable translations were the "be blocked" or "be cornered" (that's in the Viz adaptation). And her friends did "corner" him, but it could also be said that he felt "cornered" by Asakura's confession.

My current clumsy research leads me to think that when he said 「知らない女子に詰められてさ」(which was in the bubble that now has "Or the harassment from the other girls"), he's saying "getting cornered by an unknown girl" and then さ as an emphatic particle. It also seems that he's talking about Asakura specifically in all his lines in that panel (to Nazuna pointing out that this all started with Asakura's confession, Kou affirms and responds that he thought it was a major drag).

I could also just be missing a usage or underlying concept under 詰められる that can't be searched up easily, if at all.

"normie" works fine, we can do without the old 4chan nonsense
"Normalfag" is eternal

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
"normie" works fine, we can do without the old 4chan nonsense
Like for me not only is it 1) gross and sucks to read but more importantly 2) seems really out of character for kou to say?? Like he's never said anything close to that before and it's super jarring and out of nowhere. Kou has never been a chan poisoned incel shitbag so it's REALLY WEIRD for him to just casually drop language like that.

It honestly really pulled me out of the story in a really sad way. I don't want to end up hating this manga but if that shit becomes the norm I might

Group Leader
Like for me not only is it 1) gross and sucks to read but more importantly 2) seems really out of character for kou to say?? Like he's never said anything close to that before and it's super jarring and out of nowhere. Kou has never been a chan poisoned incel shitbag so it's REALLY WEIRD for him to just casually drop language like that.

It honestly really pulled me out of the story in a really sad way. I don't want to end up hating this manga but if that shit becomes the norm I might
not the manga's fault, just 4chan being 4chan. raws from sunday-webry use "充実" ("jyuujitsu") in the phrase "充実してる日常" ("jyuujitsushiteru nichijou") which u can google translate

hKDSs6b.png

not much can be done honestly (i tried lol...) 4chan is 4chan and scanlation culture skews heavily towards "respect the scanlators" even if you don't like them or how they do things. but at least you're free knowing that kou isn't homophobic/racist/whatever (y)

Dex-chan lover
not the manga's fault, just 4chan being 4chan. raws from sunday-webry use "充実" ("jyuujitsu") in the phrase "充実してる日常" ("jyuujitsushiteru nichijou") which u can google translate

hKDSs6b.png

not much can be done honestly (i tried lol...) 4chan is 4chan and scanlation culture skews heavily towards "respect the scanlators" even if you don't like them or how they do things. but at least you're free knowing that kou isn't homophobic/racist/whatever (y)
Good to know it's a TL thing fwiw. I do miss the tonikaku uploads, I wonder what made them drop since they supported for so long

Dex-chan lover

hKDSs6b.png

Ah, so he doesn't even use the term "riajuu". Noted.

I understand where your frustration is coming from, because I've seen fan scanlators not put out scans that look not-bullshit but in fact are. Even if I don't have much grounds to demand better (any of us can do it ourselves or hire someone to do it, but we wait for people who do this stuff for free), the threat of not grasping the original intent of the mangaka's writing does make me anxious.

But compared to the straight goofy corporate adaptation for this manga jacking up verb tenses, flipping grammatical moods, needlessly euphemizing dialogue, and completely rewriting dialogue altogether for no practical or even censorious reason? Having Kou say "normalfag" (the actual usage of which has nothing to do with homosexuals) is nothing in terms of cost. It might be unclear to those not in any kind of know, but then, the /a/nons do this firstly for /a/non fans of this work. IIRC, the coordination of these scans are pretty loose, too-- the translator /a/non dumps their chapter translation in posts that just happen to be typeset by another /a/non that thought to do so.

At least be more mad that there's nothing in what he said that would "reasonably" be rendered into "normalfag" (I think I can see how the "dialectal" transformation went, but still).

Good to know it's a TL thing fwiw. I do miss the tonikaku uploads, I wonder what made them drop since they supported for so long
IIRC, Tonikaku stated to have dropped this in light of either the licensing of the manga by Viz, or Viz's "adaptation" catching up to them.

...that said, they were being outpaced by /a/ when they started consistently posting their typeset scans on MD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread