Yondome wa Iya na Shizokusei Majutsushi - Vol. 10 Ch. 45 - The Reincarnation of Mikhail

Dex-chan lover
Man I hit a nerve here. The quality of ... humans has dropped quite a bit NGL. If this is your powerfantasy I fear for your sorroundings. It's petty and kinda worrying.

Dex-chan lover
It's a type of wish fulfillment fantasy, so of course it'd be popular. To answer your question, yes, one-sided slaughter can be a part of power fantasy if it's being achieved by the protagonist, but in this case it's arguably not since it's being fulfilled by the entire faction the MC is part of (though I don't even know why you'd be asking this question which seems to be beside your point).

I wouldn't exactly call it pitiful since a lot of people are enjoying it, but it sounds more like you're upset you can't find enjoyment in this type of story. There's no reason it needs to be edgy, at least not this story in particular. Most revenge stories tend to fulfill the edgy trope, but despite the name, Death Mage isn't trying to be.

Most power fantasies tend to have a similar start or setup, so they're easy to spot early on. I get Death Mage wasn't obvious it was one in the beginning, but once the signs started to show, this would've been the best time to stop if you didn't enjoy such stories.

It's not so much about me not enjoying it as it is about others that do: I cannot understand how one can be satisfied by this. It speaks volumes to the lack of morality and ethics; and also portrays a disturbing, petty and simplistic mindset on the part of the readers that do (and their reaction kinda supports my view on this, like the proverbial shoe that fits)

Plus, the writing is flat, cheap as is often when authors try to establish this type of " alternate morality", like it's "just" a matter of perspective (which it isn't). It always sounds like a cop-out, the excuse of a psycho to cover up their lack of philosophy. What I miss is even just a hint of the classic hero that one can see as worthy, as something to aspire to or at least be sympathetic to. There's not a single deeper thought here, just animals killing.
If you want revenge that means you think you have been wronged, but you don' t get to complain about that when you are scum yourself. It's easy to say they all deserve it but considering what f.e. the ghouls and other monster have done to humans before ( like rape and turn the smith girl) it is likely many of the soldiers went there to combat evil ( at least in their minds). And that would just be the tip of the iceberg.

Dex-chan lover
It's not so much about me not enjoying it as it is about others that do: I cannot understand how one can be satisfied by this. It speaks volumes to the lack of morality and ethics; and also portrays a disturbing, petty and simplistic mindset on the part of the readers that do (and their reaction kinda supports my view on this, like the proverbial shoe that fits)

Plus, the writing is flat, cheap as is often when authors try to establish this type of " alternate morality", like it's "just" a matter of perspective (which it isn't). It always sounds like a cop-out, the excuse of a psycho to cover up their lack of philosophy. What I miss is even just a hint of the classic hero that one can see as worthy, as something to aspire to or at least be sympathetic to. There's not a single deeper thought here, just animals killing.
If you want revenge that means you think you have been wronged, but you don' t get to complain about that when you are scum yourself. It's easy to say they all deserve it but considering what f.e. the ghouls and other monster have done to humans before ( like rape and turn the smith girl) it is likely many of the soldiers went there to combat evil ( at least in their minds). And that would just be the tip of the iceberg.
This a typical Japanese WN/LN, don't expect stellar writing. Be that as it may i recommend you to read the WN fan TL.

I don't remember if the manga didn't portray the conflicts properly, but the Humans~mainly that one nation under the influence of the main God(God of light) are giant dicks and oppress these monsters who have intelligence and any non-humans too except for white elves and dwarves. Since the other non-human factions are created by a opposing God.

Its the normal regular monsters who are dangerous and some intelligent ones who fought back bcoz of oppression who are painted as bad guys.

In this partical case they are defending so all is fair i suppose. Far more cruel shit happens and humans just glance over it as divine retribution and cleansing n shit. Its the whole schtick of this manga/series, Humans are largely the bad guys.

At further chapters, MC does think about the morality of many things, but he doesn't care since they are ones being on the recieving end and he's just giving it back. MC is kinda like the opposing God's chosen one, so he changes tides for the non-humans as the story progresses.

And to add further you'll see that classing hero to be aspired to will be the Antagonistic God's Hero who will be sympathetic to these intelligent non humans, but clearly be on the wrong, since his whole Faction is in the wrong. But he blindly says he will fix things.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover

Cool it with the self righteous indignation. If you had actually read the series you’d know that pretty much every bit of your comment is wrong and it’s kinda hilarious.

Btw in this instance Van’s side are the good guys. They’re defending themselves against an invading army who would gladly kill every man woman and child in Van’s group because of some nonsense brainwashing that Alfa’s side did to them. If you actually thing the invading army are the good guys in the situation then I have to question your morality and ethics.

This series is quite good at grey morality and you’d know this if you read the series. The series by no means tries to make Van seem like he’s sane

Lastly, if you want that type of classic hero there’s plenty of series with a MC that’s like that. Bashing a series cause it doesn’t have the type of hero you like is petty and shows that you’re quite shallow minded.

Dex-chan lover
Killing the slaves is pretty distasteful.
I'm talking this from memory, so I could be missing some details:

• The little guy scout worked for underground stuff, meaning, he killed a bunch of innocent people.
  • The witch girl most people are simping for was a former Guildmaster of the Mage's Guild, she was found to be killing children, to use their blood to remain young. Also she is a worshiper of Evil Gods (This is an information not very relevant now, but these gods do appear much later in the story)
  • The Knight guy was never explained in detail, but it seems he may be the worst of the trio.

So yeah

Dex-chan lover
I hope the spear douche isn't dead yet. We wouldn't want Van to miss out on one of his [primary targets.

Dex-chan lover
The situation of the battlefield, as it is depicted at this point, has mc winning handidly... So why is he rushing headfirst into danger against one of the few elites his troops can't actually kill easily? Should just have his troops gang up on them while defensive and at a distance, letting them slowly die from attrition as they are constantly contracting disease they have to heal. And any attempt to flee or attack could be punished that way. Once they moved far enough, just re-apply the curs to where they moved (or carry corpses there as source).

Really no need to endanger himself or any troops.
There is no need, but our MC has maxed out his "madness" skill, and evolved it into an advanced one.
He goes into battle, because he wants to fight the priest personally.

aw i actually liked that Chezare commander guy. Seemed like the most honorable one among them. I hope he gets revived as an undead
We'll see a lot of him in the future. And I appreciate that.
Yeah yeah, everyones sooo op. Why are these types of manga so popular, this is getting super boring. Is onesided slaughter really a powerfantasy? Seems downright pitiful. It's not even edgy anymore.
I find that this story isn't really a classic power fantasy. It's more similar to whatever Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann is, except dark fantasy.

Dex-chan lover

• The little guy scout worked for underground stuff, meaning, he killed a bunch of innocent people.
  • The witch girl most people are simping for was a former Guildmaster of the Mage's Guild, she was found to be killing children, to use their blood to remain young. Also she is a worshiper of Evil Gods (This is an information not very relevant now, but these gods do appear much later in the story)
  • The Knight guy was never explained in detail, but it seems he may be the worst of the trio.

So yeah
Your memory is pretty much correct. Only thing is that you’re missing is the scout killing his teammates in order to get treasure. After that is when he started the underground stuff. Or at least I think that’s what he did

Contributor

So yeah
Was this all in the manga? Is my memory just that dogshit?

Double-page supporter
Goldan seems to be holding out quite a bit against Vigaro and the other Ghouls.
It's not even that Van's army is that much incomprehensibly stronger at this point (besides Borkus) a big part is preparation and information.

Double-page supporter

2fc.png

Dex-chan lover
In that case, it's a failure of the manga adaption to provide full context.
They're just passing irrelevant characters. But the manga does tend to rush things a lot. I'd say its 50-50, with providing context. So its not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread