False Child - Vol. 4 Ch. 20 - False Child

Dex-chan lover
I'm 90% sure the manga is intended to be just this long. Sure, it could go on and on about their daily lives, her learning more about human society, making friends at school, fooling around with friends,... But the manga set out with the topic of "found family with animal-turned-human" + "a family rebuilding itself after a tragedy" and it has conveyed the message the author wanted to convey, so they decide to end it.

anw, it's a really good, emotional and wholesome series, thank you for giving us the chance to read it!!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I mean, in theory she can go back to being a tanuki if she "wanted" to, so not exactly as real as anyone else.
Well I imagine that as time goes and she grows up she could almost completely forget about being anything else than a human in which case it'd be harder to reverse into a tanuki, maybe only knowing about it subconsciously. Then again the cat lady whose name I forgot clearly hasn't forgotten, so it's possible one can grow up while remembering just fine, and well if there was such a "danger" I think she would've mentioned it, well it could be a possibility instead of a certainty with different "false children" showing different results.

I'm curious as to what kind of situation could lead to her becoming a tanuki again further up growing or as an adult... maybe some trauma strong enough to make her not want to be herself/human anymore? maybe a situation where she'd wish she could run away from everything? it'd be interesting to see what are the implications of reaching adolescence since that'd be a point where she'd be particularly unstable.

I also wonder just how capable she'd be at "pretending" adolescence, I can get that she'd grow to adapt to her environment but that also suggests it depends on her perception of the environment and last time I checked some changes in adolescence ain't that obvious to a kid even if they teach you about them, like how mood and interests change. How quickly would she adapt to those changes? could she misunderstand and think of them as more inmediate changes and grow up quickly? not from one day to the other but reasonably quickly, or could she just miss on everything and just one day realize all of her friends have changed greatly in many obvious and not so obvious ways? maybe she just wouldn't change at all apart from physically growing at an average rate?

Well in any case the manga was cool, I'm acc happy this didn't become a 400 long sol comedy manga where nothing happens. Even if I'm curious about how a false child would grow up it's pretty clear to me that this is what the author wanted to make and I can't see this becoming a good hundred long manga.
I think you're making a good case for ending this story where it is. The point of this story was about loss, how people are irreplaceable, and how grief is a necessary thing. It was never really about Suika, she was the vehicle for the characters around her to explore those more impactful themes. Moving this story on to become a very literal story about the life of a tanuki living as a girl would shift its focus well away from the meaningful and towards the mundane.

Dex-chan lover
What a slightly bitter-heavy-on-the-sweet story. Thank you thank you for scanlating this. Your typesetting was just fine throughout as I've seen waaaaaay worse from established groups.

Dex-chan lover
This manga was great I really hope the author makes a sequel in the future

Dex-chan lover
And they lived happily ever after, and no one can say otherwise!

Dex-chan lover
I honestly am happy this got to end properly. And really appreciate the TLs. I hope the author/artist does more works like this in the future, not that I mind their other romance focused ones.

Dex-chan lover
It doesn't really feel axed, I appreciated the ending.

Not every great manga needs to go on forever, it would be disappointing no matter when it ended. Grade school, why not middle school? Middle school, why not high school? Eventually you'd have to do college, career, marriage? It's better to end it here than wonder about mixed childbirth and the ethics of someone having sex with a Tanuki.

Aggregator gang
The fucked up thing is that only a minority of the money a manga makes goes to the actual author/and or artist.

The publishing side takes most of the cash earned from sales. Only a top popular selling manga can make it's author rich.

Most mangaka are starving artists.
Yoshitoshi ABe, author of Lain and Haibane Renmei self published a lot of his works.

Dex-chan lover
Sexualizing underage girls is a good thing? What?

If you seriously think that's a good thing and you're calling me a retard for being against it, go get your head checked.
Do you know where you are. They are not real you retard!

Dex-chan lover
Do you know where you are. They are not real you retard!
I don't wanna hear that from an idiot who doesn't use a question mark when asking a question.

Also, you said that it's a GOOD thing, as in something positive. Does your dumb ass not understand what that implies? You could instead say that it's harmless, but you called it a good thing instead.

Either way, it's not even a good argument. Especially when this type of shit comes from a society that treats women like crap and has things like selling tickets that allow you to sleep on a bed with a middle schooler idol.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter and all the translations for the whole series

Dex-chan lover
No way this masterpiece got axed meanwhile repulsive media like "gUsHiNg OvEr MaGiCaL gIrLs" is allowed to exist. These are the symptoms of a hypocritical society.
This isn’t an axe. Just because you want random extra stuff doesn’t mean the author does. It’s a heartbreak at the beginning and she’s used as a coping mechanism but as they become closer and she learns more about humans they become a real family. They’ve accepted their loss, won’t forget it but will move forward. That’s not an axe that’s literally a start to finish good story.

Users who are viewing this thread