Sonna Kazoku nara Sutechaeba? - Vol. 4 Ch. 24

Ohhhh! The way he said actually makes sense.
His brain is poisoned by the unfaltering belief that it's better for a family to stay together even if it's killing one or more of its members, and by the abuse itself -- his wife's authority and opinion are unassailable. In a literal sense, he probably wasn't wrong but if her standing up for herself caused the family to break down, was such family worth keeping in the first place?

I don't think it's poison. Either way, it's either the daughter dies, the husband dies or the wife dies and I don't like to see any of them dying. If there is one thing I'd like for this too happen, then it's the broken family being mended again. They clearly can't understand one another, and it's in the middle of a confusing settlement. But I know for sure both love their own daughter, albeit not expressed properly.

It's both side (the teacher) and the neighbor is what I think overstepping their boundaries and it feels like a simple divorce would just let it the wounds fester greatly.

Dex-chan lover
His brain is poisoned by the unfaltering belief that it's better for a family to stay together even if it's killing one or more of its members, and by the abuse itself -- his wife's authority and opinion are unassailable. In a literal sense, he probably wasn't wrong but if her standing up for herself caused the family to break down, was such family worth keeping in the first place?
And thus the title of the Manga... "Why don't you just throw that family".

Sayako has made her decision with her family, and we are here reading the drama and the inner struggle about what decision Reitaro will make.

Dex-chan lover
Life isn't that simple simple. Maybe what he said is harsh, but not necessarily wrong.
Of course it isn't simple. I'm aware that what he said is "not wrong", but not right either. She may have destroyed her family, but she probably avoided something likely worse. Or not, we don't know.

For example, now that Sayako's family is broken, is that a better result? She now has to become a single mother, raising Hikaru while working. and what about Hikaru's feelings? does he want it? does he also doesn't need a father, like his mom doesn't need a husband?
We don't know what the consequences of not leaving would have been. They would have made up, or not. Hikaru doesn't like the current situation, but not about not having a father, but about moving itself.
Apply it to Ichika the daughter, what would happen to Ichika if his mom and dad divorced? is it better for her? is that what she wants?
Of course it's not what she wants, but we doesn't always get what we want. The ideal situation for her would be for her parents to face of the current situation, talk things up, reconcile and become a happy family. Do you see that happening, with the father not speaking up and the mother not listening to anyone, least of all her husband? That's the thing, neither of them is trying to fix it, which is what Ichika needs.
My point is, that there are no easy solutions, and there is no absolute right answer, everyone makes decisions and has to live with those decisions, you can't force the answer you choose to other family situations.
Never said there were, but by not doing anything and risking the status quo, bad as it is, the situation will not improve leaving everyone miserable. If fact, it can worsen depending of the abuser and the influences she might receive (the teacher, for example).

I understand what you're saying, I really do; but more often than not not speaking up and seeking outside help in a situation of domestic abuse and/or violence is taking an unnecessary risk for the abused and the family as a whole.

Dex-chan lover
Of course it isn't simple. I'm aware that what he said is "not wrong", but not right either. She may have destroyed her family, but she probably avoided something likely worse. Or not, we don't know.
Quick reminder that her go-to strategy is to just dump everything that displeases her, and her own son is taking the lesson to heart. Considering how easily she seems to dump things, it could be anything from horrific abuse, to her husband not supporting the e-thot thing she's doing.

I understand what you're saying, I really do; but more often than not not speaking up and seeking outside help in a situation of domestic abuse and/or violence is taking an unnecessary risk for the abused and the family as a whole.
Speaking up and looking for help left me homeless, among other things.

Dex-chan lover
This situation with Reitaro has prompted a lot more nuance than I initially thought. I still think what he said was wrong, but I won't lie: some of the other perspectives here have been food for thought.

The whole matter is complex, and that's honestly the saddest part. Something that should be simple, should be straightforward, is made needlessly complicated by miscommunication, projection, inaction, apathy, and everything in-between from all the adults we've seen thus far.

Thank you for the translation (man I can already see it. An adaptation of this would be something else).

God i hate his wife so much, every half step forwards is ten steps to the right leading directly into a ditch

Dex-chan lover
oof, he went for the throat

all of these characters suck and it's hard to pick just one to be upset with, dad letting the mom walk all over both him and the kid, wife is just nuts can't even let her kid enjoy one thing, and this random woman butting in even though what she's saying is true it's just none of her damn business, and the dad again being a dick when she calls him out for being spineless

Dex-chan lover
oof, he went for the throat

all of these characters suck and it's hard to pick just one to be upset with, dad letting the mom walk all over both him and the kid, wife is just nuts can't even let her kid enjoy one thing, and this random woman butting in even though what she's saying is true it's just none of her damn business, and the dad again being a dick when she calls him out for being spineless
What exactly do you picture the winning move to be for dad? If he fights her, she'll double, then quadruple down on the abuse. If he divorces her, he's going to lose his kid, they're probably going to move away, and he'll never see them again. Never mind the fact that his daughter will be stuck living alone with cute psycho bitch.

And just because they're divorced and apart doesn't mean the wife can't find ways of continuing the abuse from a distance. What seems more likely to you: That she'd see her divorce, think "Oh, well, I guess that's that", or get mad he'd dare leave her, then use that as fuel to step up the abuse towards him and the daughter?

Dex-chan lover
What exactly do you picture the winning move to be for dad? If he fights her, she'll double, then quadruple down on the abuse. If he divorces her, he's going to lose his kid, they're probably going to move away, and he'll never see them again. Never mind the fact that his daughter will be stuck living alone with cute psycho bitch.

And just because they're divorced and apart doesn't mean the wife can't find ways of continuing the abuse from a distance. What seems more likely to you: That she'd see her divorce, think "Oh, well, I guess that's that", or get mad he'd dare leave her, then use that as fuel to step up the abuse towards him and the daughter?
pretty sure the only way is to fight confront her, and you're right about her doubling down because precedents have been set and people like that aren't going to let you upheave the power dynamic so easily... but pushing through (getting worse before it gets better) really is the only way to reach the light at the end of that tunnel

but that's pretty much what the nosy neighbor woman is saying, it's just none of her business, she's not wrong though

Dex-chan lover
pretty sure the only way is to fight confront her, and you're right about her doubling down because precedents have been set and people like that aren't going to let you upheave the power dynamic so easily... but pushing through (getting worse before it gets better) really is the only way to reach the light at the end of that tunnel

but that's pretty much what the nosy neighbor woman is saying, it's just none of her business, she's not wrong though
But again: Push through to WHAT? What exactly do you imagine the winning scenario here? I just told you what's going to happen. There's not going to be a point where he shouts at her loud enough, and long enough, that she snaps out of it and realizes how much of a bitch she's been. At best, she'll revert to the same meek-but-resentful dynamic she has with everyone else in her life, and re-create her less-than-pleasant childhood home life where, among other things, it looks like they slapped the shit out of her if she decided she didn't want to go to school. She'll still be angry, abusive, etc. MC will just be forced to literally smack a bitch to keep her in line.

What "light" do you see here?

Dex-chan lover
But again: Push through to WHAT? What exactly do you imagine the winning scenario here? I just told you what's going to happen. There's not going to be a point where he shouts at her loud enough, and long enough, that she snaps out of it and realizes how much of a bitch she's been. At best, she'll revert to the same meek-but-resentful dynamic she has with everyone else in her life, and re-create her less-than-pleasant childhood home life where, among other things, it looks like they slapped the shit out of her if she decided she didn't want to go to school. She'll still be angry, abusive, etc. MC will just be forced to literally smack a bitch to keep her in line.

What "light" do you see here?
i mean the winning scenario is exactly what you're saying is impossible, but it's not impossible it's literally the reason there's any conflict in the first place for the characters to work through

he'll confront her, she'll throw an even bigger tantrum, realize she needs to learn to live and let live, not control every aspect of the daughter's life and let her be happy, and "allow" her husband to have his own opinions and feel safe enough to disagree with her on issues without her throwing glass or shutting him out of the bedroom

Dex-chan lover
i mean the winning scenario is exactly what you're saying is impossible, but it's not impossible it's literally the reason there's any conflict in the first place for the characters to work through

he'll confront her, she'll throw an even bigger tantrum, realize she needs to learn to live and let live, not control every aspect of the daughter's life and let her be happy, and "allow" her husband to have his own opinions and feel safe enough to disagree with her on issues without her throwing glass or shutting him out of the bedroom
Given the complexity of abusive relationships, especially within the context of this fictional narrative, I find myself skeptical about the efficacy of direct confrontation as a means to resolve the underlying issues. In scenarios like these, where one character is exhibiting abusive behavior, confronting them without considering the nuances of their psychological state and the dynamics at play could potentially exacerbate the situation rather than ameliorate it.

Abusive relationships are deeply rooted in power imbalances and control mechanisms. Characters embroiled in such dynamics often respond to confrontation with further entrenchment in their behaviors, as it threatens the control they've established. This can lead to an escalation rather than a de-escalation of the abuse.

It's crucial to approach such delicate matters with a nuanced understanding of human psychology and the specific context of the relationship in question. While confrontation might seem like a direct route to addressing the problem, the complexities involved in this abusive dynamic suggest that alternative approaches are the only means available to address the issue at hand while best ensuring the safety and well-being of the parties involved.

Dex-chan lover
Characters embroiled in such dynamics often respond to confrontation with further entrenchment in their behaviors, as it threatens the control they've established.
yeah i was trying to say this as well, it'll get worse before it gets better, and as for the rest of your comment i agree that there doesn't necessarily have to be a direct confrontation or, if there is one, that doesn't have to be what solves it but at the very least set in motion whatever series of events the author has planned for the wife to see some error in her ways

i just don't think they'll actually split up but reach understanding because the neighbor lady is right, the MC's solution is terrible and will have to change, he has to be able to speak his mind if they're going to stay together (which is what he wants)

Dex-chan lover
yeah i was trying to say this as well, it'll get worse before it gets better, and as for the rest of your comment i agree that there doesn't necessarily have to be a direct confrontation or, if there is one, that doesn't have to be what solves it but at the very least set in motion whatever series of events the author has planned for the wife to see some error in her ways

i just don't think they'll actually split up but reach understanding because the neighbor lady is right, the MC's solution is terrible and will have to change, he has to be able to speak his mind if they're going to stay together (which is what he wants)
There is no path to improvement. Any improvement in the situation would be by sheer author say so, not as the logical conclusion to escalating an already stable-if-terrible relationship.

Users who are viewing this thread