Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou. - Ch. 19 - Tsumiki-san and Umami-san

Dex-chan lover
image-2024-03-26-162806668.png

Look, you have to pick a certain level of reader cultural understanding with any translation. There are several possible levels of trying to sand away all cultural differences:
I agree BUT translators are NOT translating culturally correctly many times; for example cats 'meow' in English, it is the sound they make, BUT cats 'nyaa' in Japanese... when translating from Japanese to English you make the CORRECT sound of the cat in the language you are translating into. Nyaa has ZERO meaning in English so do NOT use it... in English cats MEOW

Dex-chan lover
I didn't like Roman when she was first introduced, but she's growing on me. She came off as sort of self-centered and unfriendly during the sports festival, so it's nice to see she's actually pleasant (maybe too pleasant for some of those boys). The emotive ears were really cute too.

Group Leader
no seriously I hate wishy washy shit for the sake of plot contrivance if it's done a million times in a row.
IF YOU LIKE THEM JUST CLEARLY SAY IT WITH NO ROOM FOR INTERPRETATION

You'd be taking 1/4 of all manga off the market! :ROFLMAO:

No seriously, I hate it too, am glad that Tsumiki x Yutaka* (TsuYu?) is actually progressing and that Morishita-sensei only played this up for jokes for one chapter (so far). Hopefully it's a wink wink that she won't be doing this with TsuYu.

(* I will fight you Yutaka x Tsumiki people, come at me! 😜)

Dex-chan lover
You'd be taking 1/4 of all manga off the market! :ROFLMAO:

No seriously, I hate it too, am glad that Tsumiki x Yutaka* (TsuYu?) is actually progressing and that Morishita-sensei only played this up for jokes for one chapter (so far). Hopefully it's a wink wink that she won't be doing this with TsuYu.

(* I will fight you Yutaka x Tsumiki people, come at me! 😜)
I don't fully understand the contours of ship names, but Tsumiki would definitely be in the driver's seat so she gets top billing, correct?

Dex-chan lover
If she could at least end the "I like you a lot" with "as a friend" or "platonically". It would still suck but not nearly as much as thinking you have a chance, muster up the courage to confess only to be shou down because you never had a chance :meguuusad: :aquadrink:

Thanks for the chapter 🙏🏼

Dex-chan lover
ty Scanlation 🙏
bit off topic, but is it true that the whole Souseki's "moon is beautiful" might be made up? I only have this as a source though, since I can't read japanese and finding a source online in english about a possible-hoax on japanese literature is near impossible lmao

Dex-chan lover
Love to see the random guys suffering because of their own delusions. Keep it up!

Group Leader
I don't fully understand the contours of ship names, but Tsumiki would definitely be in the driver's seat so she gets top billing, correct?
Yeah, the one on the left is the 'seme' (top, dominant) while the one on the right is the 'uke' (bottom, submissive). In most shipping you should not take the top/bottom thing too literally - they're not in an actual dom/sub relationship, it's just who mostly decides things.

So TsuYu (Tsumiki x Yutaka) means Tsumiki's more in charge, YuTsu (Yutaka x Tsumiki) means Yutaka's more in charge. Some Japanese fans have huge fights over which way particular fan only relationships go, especially when the couple isn't anywhere near canon in the original manga - like InuYasha x Sesshomaru. Which is why I joked about that.

Group Leader
ty Scanlation 🙏
bit off topic, but is it true that the whole Souseki's "moon is beautiful" might be made up? I only have this as a source though, since I can't read japanese and finding a source online in english about a possible-hoax on japanese literature is near impossible lmao
Yeah, it's an anecdote - it supposedly happened while he was a teacher, but there is no proof of it. It's not in any of his books! There's even another version which says he used 'The moon is blue...' But my note was already long enough, didn't want to get into that, and most Japanese have heard the 'The Moon is beautiful' thing and it seems to hit them right in the Japanese feels.

Dex-chan lover
Translators PLEASE NOTE:
Do NOT EVER EVER EVER translate the romantic confession as "I Like you"... EVER!!!!
In English the phrase "I like you" means that you think positively of someone and that is it.
In English is OK to say "I like you" to: your barber, your waitress, the mailman, your bus driver, your 5 year old niece, etc.
No native English speaker would EVER confess to someone they want to enter into a romantic relationship with by saying "I like you".
There basically is no other way to confess your romantic affection for someone in English other than "I Love you".
Translators please do not try to LITERALLY translate from Japanese to English. You NEED to translate the meaning in a cultural appropriate manner.
When translating the romantic confession from Japanese to English, the correct cultural MEANING translates to "I Love You"
I STRONGLY disagree.
1. Pretty sure "I like you" can be used in a romantic sense even in English
2. "I love you" could easily imply the much stronger "aishiteru"
3. Of course you can't always literally translate from Japanese, but that doesn't mean that you need to remove differences that make perfectly fine sense in the context of the culture
4. I think most can figure out what "I like you" means in this kinda context in the vast majority of cases. If not, I'll definitely take translator notes over removing cultural distinctions like this
EDIT: And to be clear, even if I might not necessarily have a need for them in many cases, translator notes are great and respect for the translators putting in that extra work

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I agree BUT translators are NOT translating culturally correctly many times; for example cats 'meow' in English, it is the sound they make, BUT cats 'nyaa' in Japanese... when translating from Japanese to English you make the CORRECT sound of the cat in the language you are translating into. Nyaa has ZERO meaning in English so do NOT use it... in English cats MEOW
Meow, mew, mrow, nya, it's all good here man. Calm down, enjoy life.

Users who are viewing this thread