Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 128 - The Special Forces of Magic

First, I had the impression this month hiatus went by very quickly.

Second, I am not digging this Special Forces of Magic thing, Land is making it sound like the First-Class mages are lame and this is something Series wouldn't be okay with. Maybe the author should have made them idk second-class mages? First time I feel there is some questionable writing in the story.

Maybe if Land said something like "oh Special Forces are too strong for newly First-Class mages as us", I don't know, might be being too harsh.
Questionable writing... I felt that way about the generic tournament arc of the 1st class mage test. Hopefully if this goes the way of generic power creep, the mangaka can bounce back from it like after the tournament arc.

Dex-chan lover
so now I wonder who is actually the strongest mage in this universe
Frieren, she is the one putting in work, killed all the remaining Demon Generals that the Hero of the South left alive, and the Demon Lord

Everyone else is a fraud with nothing to show for themselves, they can't even claim to a participation trophy since that is already claimed by Flame for training Frieren

this kind of stuff that i don't like in battle type manga, suddenly there's a big organization that have much stronger members than the previously supposed to be the cream of the crop mages
But first class mages are objectively not the cream of the crop, they're mages that only Serie believes are the cream of the crop. And would it not make sense for the Empire to have the strongest mages in the land? How else would they be able to exert their influence over their subjects and quell rebellions as needed (as the chapter mentioned)?

This didn't happen overnight.

Questionable writing... I felt that way about the generic tournament arc of the 1st class mage test. Hopefully if this goes the way of generic power creep, the mangaka can bounce back from it like after the tournament arc.
Not questionable writing. It makes perfect sense for the empire to employ the most powerful battle mages in the land if they are to propped up as this mysterious and powerful nation state. How else would they able to have such a large sphere of influence in the world of magic, more so than the CMA? Also, first class mages are only first class based on the metrics that Serie has laid out. Just bitching over nothing like people with the goddess monument arc again....ugh.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I think people forgot the one who introduced magic to the Empire was Flamme, and she taught magic in the Empire during most of her life. So the Empire has a magical culture of at least 1000 years. The Continental Magic Association that Serie leads is only 50 years old. It goes without saying the Empire has the superior mages around. There's nothing strange or contradictory about this. It makes perfect sense.

People who bitch about questionable writing don't pay any attention. The Empire was always supposed to have the strongest mages. If they were a bunch of pushovers, THAT would be questionable.

I think people are misunderstanding what he said. First-class mages are powerful but they are just mages. The empires mages on the other hand are around same tier BUT are also soldiers - trained for combat. They would have significantly more combat experience too because of this. Frieren is even a personification of this - shes a spell collector first, Fieren the Slayer second

Nah the people questioning are cooking, I agree that this manga is Mid now, basically all the characters other than Frieren are poorly written (frauds), even Stark (Low Diffed by an old man, pathetic and worthless) and Fern (Low Diffed by the Frieren Clone of all things, no wonder the real deal used her as bait) have fallen off big time.

I had high hopes for this story after all the hype from people, but the power set doesn't show proper scale, and basically all the characters get Low Diffed on a consistent basis so why do they even exist? just terrible writing all around, can't wait for Frieren to also get Low Diffed by Serie, who then will get Low Diffed herself by some stupid Empire mook, smh.

/s lol powerscalers

Dex-chan lover
anime was a mistake because it brings people who can only comprehend manga whenever there's a fight scene. you guys who only spout words like "power level", "power creep", "low diff", "fraud", and other battle-manga-fan jargons should just go back to JJK or some similar shits

Dex-chan lover
Uh oh, she did the "tongue" expression.

I expect Ubel stans to become a bajillion times thirstier.

Also Land is ACTUALLY there. Now there's real danger of Ubel "attacking" him. 😏

Dex-chan lover
I know that wagon going plaps any minute from now the sexo is nigh im sure of it

Aggregator gang
anime was a mistake because it brings people who can only comprehend manga whenever there's a fight scene. you guys who only spout words like "power level", "power creep", "low diff", "fraud", and other battle-manga-fan jargons should just go back to JJK or some similar shits
Yeah, it was stated that magic is kind of "Rock-Paper-Scissor", there is no power level in here. High mage can be defeated by normal mage if all the aspect/element is right.

Double-page supporter
powerscalers:sick::sick::sick::sick:

such a nice chapter, both for world building and the fight dynamics. I didn't even realize the figurehead for the "Holy Wand Court" was an elf at first, that's pretty crazy. That logo is the same one that Frieren carried when they were trying to cross the border, so surely both Frieren and Serie know her well. Also really makes you question what Frieren did to go from being a member of one shadow organization to being on the OTHER shadows orgs kill list lmfao Maybe the court is the research division of the Empire that try to break new boundaries with magic, which is why an elf with all her experience would be an excellent leader? She's shown praying though, so more of a religious order and figurehead? Either way they were mentioned as being yet another anti-magic organization at its core. hyped to find out and get more elves.

I'm continuing to dig the existence of a very authoritarian and belligerent regime existing in this world where magic is such a key function of society. Almost always hard to take a fantasy series seriously when politics and intrigue between humanoids is largely non-existent because of some "exterior" threat. Even with Serie's warmongering attitude, the elite mages of the CMA are anyone she deems as having high potential and aptitude regardless of any specific attitude (unless you're afraid of her). The empire's elite mages? Anti-mage secret police, always looming in the background to put down any threat. nice world building.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Wait wait wait. . .how he escape sorgeniel alone? He shouldn't able to control his mana. Or he received support from his other partners who also hiding?

I wonder how many people in the special force. Magic association only have around 50 1st class mage.

Considering the empire size, i bet they have that much more human resource than magic association. And if they are all this powerful, No wonder even great demon think twice before attacking it.
Maybe his partner was the one controlling the buildings and he did the blinding. The irregularities about the buildings and lack of people in the area could be explained due to the Ubel/Land duo being driven into a prepared 'kill zone'. The author adding a faction of straight up equal or more powerful enemies also seems less a lot less likely than showing a group that applies magic using military tactics and discipline. Plus, Land, as a former citizen of the Empire, knew about the Special Forces through propaganda and a traumatic childhood experience. If they were actually able to topple countries individually the Empire would have taken over the rest of the human territories.

Double-page supporter
The power level of the humans living in this frieren universe seems to keep expending. It sure make you wonder why it takes thousand of years to kill the demon lord and demons with all these OP secret army that supposedly can kill the powerhouse like Serrie, frieren etc. And since Flamme is basically the one that introduce magic to the empire and the empire is the one that made magic a norm to humans, that means they are very strong army now. And if the direction they go is to have a lot of mage killer secret army that means they should be able to kill the Demon lord long ago considering the demons are mages focused build. And you telling me after all these secret mage killer army etc and they still can't kill the DL? Ngl the power creep does make the earlier writing seems questionable. You can't just suddenly have all these secret army that can kill the strongest people like Serrie and Frieren and not explained why and how they still unable to defeat the DL themselves. It was proven with the old shadow dude from previous chapter it is possible for a single shadow unit to kill Frieren. So their claim to be able kill Serrie and Frieren definitely is grounded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread