Usotsuki Satsuki wa Shi ga Mieru - Vol. 9 Ch. 83 - Future

Dex-chan lover
Girl... What about... chapter one?? That page?
Kinda sad that it just ended like that. I was expecting something really bad to happen like Komako dying after something falls on top of her.

Oh well, we could always assume the dead bodies and the blood splattered were metaphors to the "deaths" that Komako was "causing".
Idk... I'll need time to accept that semi-rushed ending.

At least I am not an avid shipper. Akirabros, how are y'all feeling?
Akirabro here, doing absolutely horrendous here. I can't even talk about the themes of this manga and whether it did a good or bad job at what it set out to do. I'm way to distraught over the fact that Komachi came out of nowhere and won. Like, excuse me? What about all the shit Akira has gone through for Satsuki? Not even a kiss? I'm having the worst time over here.

Edit: As some of the other comments have pointed out, this manga isn't actually yuri, but it still feels like Akira got suddenly sidelined halfway through the manga (when she got hospitalized) and that Komachi suddenly got attention again. Though I think it's more of the former, because there was always attention on Komachi (she was sus as hell for the longest time), but Akira getting sidelined certainly made it feel like it was done so Komachi could get the spotlight once the Pres' arc was done with.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, from what I Can see its not tagged as a GL on the Magazines that publish it, so it was just another case of a series tagged as a GL when its not.

Also Shoujo Ai is a thing, it is literally the japanese term for girls love…

I didn't see the tag either.

No it's not, go look into the history of Yuri and Shoujo Ai terms, the short version is that only westerners use Shoujo Ai for safe Yuri and subtext, in Japan both Shoujo Ai and Shounen Ai have something to do with pedophilia, there's even Japanese Wikipedia page about it.

Every "Yuri" is "Girl Love", but not every "Girl Love" is "Yuri" .. "slaps" 🙄

If something is tagged as Yuri, it'd expect explicit content, but if its tagged as "Girl Love", It'd at the very f'ing least expect anything remotely resembling romance, or anything of the sort to be included, though there wasn't really anything of the sort.. at most it'd say you had some moments between somewhat closer friends, but that's about it.

If I were to be asked, if it should have a "Girl Love" Tag, it'd say no 😮‍💨
I'm pretty sure it's been many years that Japan uses GL and Yuri as basically synonymous.

There's no such thing as Yuri is explicit content, that's literally something made-up by western readers, in Japan Yuri was always both safe and not safe works, go look it up.

The name for this "just REALLY close girl friends" genre in Japan is Shoujo Ai.

Which is different from yuri which involves more actual couples dynamics.

In most shoujo ai, the girls never kiss or become full couples.

Not sure why Mangadex does not use the Japanese version of genre tagging.

Instead they mix both of them as "girl's love", which leads to confusion to viewers when they go into a shoujo ai story tagged as girl's love, which just raises the hopes of viewers expecting actual yuri.
And here comes another one without compass...

Seriously @MathMols, @Ninoren and @Mangamoz, there's a reason mangadex completely abandoned the Yuri tag in favor of Girl's Love, go search about every single Yuri magazine ever made, none ever used the term Shoujo Ai, it's alway only Yuri independent of how explicit, over time apparently they started using Girl's Love term due to some people still using Yuri to mean just really close friends, but nowadays there's no distinction between Yuri and GL.

And before any of you try to argue back, proof of my point, this manga is tagged as Yuri by the publisher according to the translator, https://mangadex.org/title/615123b3-b813-4d7d-8c72-eb5c4146d76e/sugar-meets-girl, tell me how this counts as explicit...

2024 and people still think Shoujo Ai is a fucking thing :aquadrink:

Dex-chan lover
The name for this "just REALLY close girl friends" genre in Japan is Shoujo Ai.

Which is different from yuri which involves more actual couples dynamics.

In most shoujo ai, the girls never kiss or become full couples.

Not sure why Mangadex does not use the Japanese version of genre tagging.

Instead they mix both of them as "girl's love", which leads to confusion to viewers when they go into a shoujo ai story tagged as girl's love, which just raises the hopes of viewers expecting actual yuri.
I don't think it was officially classified as Yuri. I might have missed it though.

Dex-chan lover
So uh... we just gonna leave Akira living with her abusive dad, then? Or did that get resolved and I just forgot about it?
He's in jail, she's either going off to live with her mother or her mother is going to just pay for an apartment for her in whatever city this takes place in.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think it was officially classified as Yuri. I might have missed it though.
Don't worry too much about it, it's not that big of a deal in this story.

The death and mystery was the core of this.

Dex-chan lover
I didn't see the tag either.

No it's not, go look into the history of Yuri and Shoujo Ai terms, the short version is that only westerners use Shoujo Ai for safe Yuri and subtext, in Japan both Shoujo Ai and Shounen Ai have something to do with pedophilia, there's even Japanese Wikipedia page about it.

I'm pretty sure it's been many years that Japan uses GL and Yuri as basically synonymous.

There's no such thing as Yuri is explicit content, that's literally something made-up by western readers, in Japan Yuri was always both safe and not safe works, go look it up.

And here comes another one without compass...

Seriously @MathMols, @Ninoren and @Mangamoz, there's a reason mangadex completely abandoned the Yuri tag in favor of Girl's Love, go search about every single Yuri magazine ever made, none ever used the term Shoujo Ai, it's alway only Yuri independent of how explicit, over time apparently they started using Girl's Love term due to some people still using Yuri to mean just really close friends, but nowadays there's no distinction between Yuri and GL.

And before any of you try to argue back, proof of my point, this manga is tagged as Yuri by the publisher according to the translator, https://mangadex.org/title/615123b3-b813-4d7d-8c72-eb5c4146d76e/sugar-meets-girl, tell me how this counts as explicit...

2024 and people still think Shoujo Ai is a fucking thing :aquadrink:
Thanks for the info, you make a good point.

There was no need to be so mean about it though... :meguuusad:

Fed-Kun's army
It was never addressed at all though.
Why even put it in there? I'm talking about the room full of dead bodies and blood over everything, not just her dialog. The deaths were never resolved or even acknowledged.
So my original point stands; are we supposed to just ignore that panel and the two before it?
Its a 3-page color insert, including a 2-page splash, in the first chapter of a new manga. It's purpose is to be eye-catching and convey the story's tone, to draw readers to the fledgling series.

I understand that a lot of people thought it was either a flashback or direct foreshadowing, but the rest of us just recognized it as a visual metaphor and are much happier for it.

Dex-chan lover
Like, where was it going to go from here? The president is dead, Komacchi's deal is in the open and being dealt with. The plot has been wrapped up and the themes were pretty strongly communicated in the end. This is a bit abrupt, but, like, if it continued, it had, like, one or two additional chapters in it before it just fizzled out.

And we're getting a couple of additional chapters anyway with the two extras, so, like, we can see more of where they're at now.
There could have been one last arc about Satsuki dealing with the consequences of letting Komachi live or at least a few more chapters to serve as a proper denoument and ending in order to properly wrap everything up. Not just "okay here's Komachi's backstory THE END." It wasn't even announced that this was going to be the last chapter, just that it was going to be ending "soon" and there's not even enough chapters to make up a full volume. I guess the two extras will be close enough and possibly longer chapters as well but then why make this the final chapter and not just have the epilogues be chapters 84 and 85?

It makes it feel like the decision to have this be the last chapter was a very sudden one either on the author's or publisher's end and the epilogue chapters are a compromise. Because as is there's a lot of stuff that's completely unresolved (Miho's whole deal in first year with Komachi where it seemed there was more going on beyond bullying) and characters (like Satsuki's dad and Sae) that ultimately never went anywhere.

Double-page supporter
Wow! I did not think this would end that fast! atleast I'm glad to see this series through the end though

Dex-chan lover
Tbh I'm pretty unsatisfied with how this ended, a lot of things felt unanswered and Akira had like, way more bonding and screen time than Komachi yet Komachi's the pairing we're going with? It kind of feels like she barely interacted with Satsuki though maybe I'm misremembering things.
No, once Akira comes in, Miho becomes Satsuki's friend and Prez shows up Komachi just flat out disappears for large chunks of the series and when she is around doesn't feel all that important. Satsuki had more significant interactions with fucking Ami* than she did with Komachi for like 3/4 of the series.

*Ami was great though.

Dex-chan lover
Tbh I'm pretty unsatisfied with how this ended, a lot of things felt unanswered and Akira had like, way more bonding and screen time than Komachi yet Komachi's the pairing we're going with? It kind of feels like she barely interacted with Satsuki though maybe I'm misremembering things.
It's actually fairly simple, in romance stories, the main couple is almost always shown in the first few chapters, so for me it was obvious that komachi would be the girlfriend and akira always had the friend vibe rather than girlfriend vibe

Dex-chan lover
Flop city tbh. Plenty of manga have had worse endings but considering how excited I used to be when it updated, like idk I don't really care about Komachi maybe she could have just like died or gone away after all so Satsuki could be with someone she actually has romantic chemistry with instead of this hostage-ass relationship where if they separate people will just die.

I knew the end was coming the moment the president died. You don't kill off the main antagonist with the expectation of the series continuing

Dex-chan lover
... huh. A final chapter to have a teacher give us a lecture on how killing is wrong rather anything involving the characters. An... interesting choice.

Really hoping one of those extras is Satsuki and Akira's happy ending. Thanks for translating.

Dex-chan lover
Really in the end Miho continues to taunt the Grim Reaper with her very existence and that's the most important thing of all. Seeing as she was probably the actual smartest and most observant character in the series, the only thing that could make it better would be a Great Detective Miho spinoff.

For all the ppl defending the ending saying it already thick all the thematic boxes set by it, even if it was covered, the executions are just ass, it started going downhill since the final arc. My biggest gripe with the series is komachi I really don’t feel anything regarding her because she was literally just a plot device and nothing more, her backstory are just a last minute thing, I can’t even feel shit about it lol I expected the final arc to be centered around her since she always been mysterious I guess I really expected too much for her, and the speech the teacher gave and her just changing because of that ? She has been antagonizing this shit for her entire life and a speech is what got her to change?

Satsuki and her father relationship hasn’t been addressed maybe the extra chapter will address it but it’ll definitely be rushed

And the concept of them seeing dearth wasn’t addressed

The school going back to normal after all the crazy stuff that happened

Let’s not forget about the romance subtexts

I invested my entire stocks on akira and got bankrupt

There’s a lot of other issues I’ll just say only logical reason for all of this is that the series got axed

In conclusion the series is really gonna be forgetful

Users who are viewing this thread