Ruri Dragon - Ch. 12 - Making Something Fun for Everyone

Dex-chan lover
It's quite fun to see the varied reactions of newcomers who aren't in the know. It's the little details that give this gem that sheen of authenticity :thumbsup:

And words actually work! There's a nugget of truth in there too, on account of being a teenager and all. I'm hoping that by the end of the arc Maeda remains a foil for Ruri, as it's worth having a character around that can call her out on teenage BS.

Dex-chan lover
Actually, I quite like the twist that Maeda isn't angry with Ruri over the dragon thing (at least seemingly), but rather her personality, since the most obvious answer to her behavior would have been the fact she is afraid of and weirded out by her dragon qualities. Shows that she has more depth than a simple bully or antagonist, which I appreciate

Dex-chan lover
To be fair, Ruri did get Maeda's name wrong multiple times in a very short span
that would piss me off too
Maeda has always been a bitch to Ruri since she was introduced. And apparently for entirely narcissistic reasons, because Ruri has been shown to generally have alot of the isolationist traits of a dragon even before her completely FUBAR puberty. shes happy with her one real friend dragging her around through life and has adapted to her FUBAR puberty mostly by just accepting she has to get up in front of class and show whatever new eldritch power she developed this week.

Dex-chan lover
Is a fair reason to dislike someone but the point here is that she hates her guts, that makes you a cunt, I can only care for my friends and most people in school do, unless she did something to you specifically there isn't a real reason to act like that.
This time, she got her name wrong multiple times but she hated her long before that... There has to be a REAL trigger for that, right?

Dex-chan lover
I like how relatable this chapter is in terms of social relationships. Starting with showing people who are angry that you can't fix the conflict with them, even though they simply ignore your requests to explain it and expect you to read their minds. And ending with school, which, from adolescence, prepares you for excessive work and insane responsibility.

Dex-chan lover
Is a fair reason to dislike someone but the point here is that she hates her guts, that makes you a cunt, I can only care for my friends and most people in school do, unless she did something to you specifically there isn't a real reason to act like that.
This time, she got her name wrong multiple times but she hated her long before that... There has to be a REAL trigger for that, right?
Judging by how she ignored Ruri's attempts to figure out what was wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if her complaints towards her were also the "why can't you read my mind? You don't care about me" type of thing. One of my best childhood friends is like this. My attempts to get an explanation for the problems between us were reminiscent of a male version of Liz and Bluebird due to his refusal to explain things in any way other than by hints and emotions.

I wonder what's the deal with blondie.

-Simple jealousy that Ruri got everyone's attention overnight perhaps?

-Or maybe it's the whole thing of:

Ruri could outright kill someone on accident if she sneezes wrong.
If we try to purely predict and remember my experience of teenage school life, then most likely she was really annoyed by the attention to Ruri and simply projected it onto her, convincing herself that Ruri was deliberately seeking attention herself. It's easier to hate popular people when you convince yourself that's what they're looking for.

Low key thought the Student Council President was a middle aged man at first:huh::huh::huh:
I thought for a long time that he was a teacher, until I noticed that he was meant to be a schoolboy like the others.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder what's the deal with blondie.

-Simple jealousy that Ruri got everyone's attention overnight perhaps?

-Or maybe it's the whole thing of:

Ruri could outright kill someone on accident if she sneezes wrong.
I'm guessing it's a mix. I imagine her thoughts are something along the lines of: "How can she be allowed in school after setting someone on fire?"
Which would be a fair question. I can see her being jealous of her getting special treatment despite being a living fire hazard.
Still she would be missing the fact that Ruri didn't know anything about her condition but maybe she is in disbelief that she would be kept in the dark about it for so long

Dex-chan lover
Maeda ain’t wrong about that. Ruri don’t know the names of the people in her class, and keeps getting Maeda’s name wrong. Only reason Ruri has started becoming closer to others is because of her new horns and the mess she does with fireballs and lightning.

Dex-chan lover
I feel like I would be like Ruri in this situation - clueless. Unfortunately for me, I'd go the avoidant route rather than try to clear up the misunderstanding.

My guess right now, would be that Maeda is frustrated by the fact that everyone is so willing to interact with this introvert that would normally avoid them if she could.

That being said, the situation feels just a bit... Off....
And now for the latest chapter of "I'm a 'localizer' not a 'translator'".
You have me so curious right now. OwO

Group Leader
"Because you don't care about others."
Well yeah, being raised in a single parent household, being naturally introverted and now having to deal with being part dragon, you can understand why she wouldn't have pared thoughts for other people.

But it's not like she dismisses other people, it's more like she doesn't know how to interact with others. Everything we've seen so far is other people approaching her, but even though she is defensive at first, she does open up to them with time, once she realizes they mean no harm to her.

But goddammit, the localization is so bad it makes me want to seek the raws instead!

Dex-chan lover
You have me so curious right now. OwO
Basically, as a teenager, she speaks with slang teenagers use these days and that's the same in Japanese so basically the translation uses modern slangs in English to emulate that feeling, but certain boomer haaaaaates that, because he can't relate, maybe he wants her to talk like a teenager from 10 or 20 years ago.

Or perhaps they want all the japanese memes and slangs untranslated and the corners of the pages filled with notes + 2 extra credit pages explaining the source and cultural origins of the trendy words, memes and abbreviations.

Or perhaps they want a complete neutral translation, similar to what google translate would give you so older people won't feel out of place, because as you know, manga is only read by people above the age of 30

Users who are viewing this thread