Oshi to no Yuri wa Arienai! - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - On Legal Herbicides

Dex-chan lover
Screenshot-20240515-202905.png

Group Leader
I neglected to add a TL note for this in the credits, because it's something like 0% of people reading are going to be familiar with, but I'll mention it here for the sake of clarity.

On page 17, there's an author's note about Mako's weapon. It mentions that the improvised blackjack shouldn't be used to cause damage, because it would be an insult to those who love golf.
This is a joke referencing a press conference where the chief of Bigmotor, one of Japan's largest used car dealerships, resigned in apology for a scandal where (among other things) it was revealed that employees were intentionally damaging cars to meet repair quotas.
In this conference, he details an incident where an employee used a sock filled with golf balls to dent a car, and he said that (paraphrased) this was unacceptable as it was an insult to those who love golf. This comment was ridiculed online, with the general sentiment being "isn't it an insult to car owners instead?"
Additionally, the "loose socks" mentioned in that author's note is a specific piece of clothing often seen in gyaru fashion.

As you can see this joke was way too specific and hard to explain so I didn't bother adding a note for it.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
I neglected to add a TL note for this in the credits, because it's something like 0% of people reading are going to be familiar with, but I'll mention it here for the sake of clarity.

On page 17, there's an author's note about Mako's weapon. It mentions that the improvised blackjack shouldn't be used to cause damage, because it would be an insult to those who love golf.
This is a joke referencing a press conference where the chief of Bigmotor, one of Japan's largest used car dealerships, resigned in apology for a scandal where (among other things) it was revealed that employees were intentionally damaging cars to meet repair quotas.
In this conference, he details an incident where an employee used a sock filled with golf balls to dent a car, and he said that (paraphrased) this was unacceptable as it was insult to those who love golf. This comment was ridiculed online, with the general sentiment being "isn't it an insult to car owners instead?"
Additionally, the "loose socks" mentioned in that author's note is a specific piece of clothing often seen in gyaru fashion.

As you can see this joke was way too specific and hard to explain so I didn't bother adding a note for it.
This explanation makes more sense than the entirety of this series

Dex-chan lover

In this conference, he details an incident where an employee used a sock filled with golf balls to dent a car, and he said that (paraphrased) this was unacceptable as it was insult to those who love golf. This comment was ridiculed online, with the general sentiment being "isn't it an insult to car owners instead?"

I knew I recognized that phrase from somewhere.
That was the same controversy where an employee recorded a video of his boss teaching him how to puncture customers' tires with a screwdriver. Not because he was going to be a whistleblower, but because he wanted the video as studying material.

Users who are viewing this thread