Akuyaku Reijou Level 99: Watashi wa UraBoss desu ga Maou de wa Arimasen - Vol. 4 Ch. 20

Dex-chan lover
Call me back when the manga already past what's i see on the anime. And yes, i read the LN too. 2 volume of them. I can't finish the 3rd because honestly the writing isn't good. . The author just wrote boring paragraph after boring paragraphs i just can't continue. .
Volumes 2 and 3 were hard to get through, but it got good again in volume 4 in my opinion. What happened in volume 4? Yumiella spent most of the novel out of contact with Patrick, and her intelligence returned.

In volume 5, Yumiella even makes a comment in her internal monologue at one point that "I've been hearing people in certain circles claiming my intelligence and maturity were dropping" which had never been said previously in the story, so I suspect it was a direct shout out to the fans who were complaining about that.

Dex-chan lover
Reading about Patrick always reminds me of Oberon and Titania (in SMT, not the play)
Like Titania is always wayy higher level and if there's fusion spell Oberon takes a lot to catch up

Double-page supporter
My ship will sail soon, I can feel it. I can sea see it. Please, please sail soon. 😩😭 I'm invested in way too many of these snail paced romances. I need one of them to please reach fulfilment already. The number of times I start a slow burn romance only for it to stop updating/go on indefinite hiatus

Dex-chan lover
Since they ruined the Alicia character in the anime making her a victim of the system, i hope the manga do better justice of the source material. Moreover with that end the anime will surely not have more seasons, so the manga is the only adaption left. Cross fingers. :)
I recall hearing she's sorta a victim of the system within the LN as well. It's just not resolved as quickly as the anime did it and Yumelia has to put in actual effort to ensure she isn't executed.

Contributor
I recall hearing she's sorta a victim of the system within the LN as well. It's just not resolved as quickly as the anime did it and Yumelia has to put in actual effort to ensure she isn't executed.
Yep, later in the story, but so early she indeed stab her on purpose.

Dex-chan lover
If what I read on comment is true, we might read the best version of what author want us to read/watch.

Since anime is to short they make Alicia problem easy to settle. In manga she might run to neighbouring country and the 3 love interest mission is to awake Alicia back.

We will get Alicia that been corrupt by system saying the reason she need to fight her own country and the one she love, is because of Yumiella. A corrupt heroine v.s a tooting villainess.

Dex-chan lover
Someone in the comment section of one of the episodes for the anime said that Yumiella is autistic, and honestly... yeah, I see it. Expressionless, gestureless, a lack of interest in interacting with other people, unable to understand others' emotions. I understand that these are very surface level and shallow signs of autism, but the theory holds some water.

Dex-chan lover
Im so glad they are crushing on each other, I wish this was just about them falling for one another instead of that heroine mess

Fed-Kun's army
I like the POV of Patrick. The main thing I'm curious about is the ending scene with the prince. Since when did they talk on the regular?

Dex-chan lover
I like the POV of Patrick. The main thing I'm curious about is the ending scene with the prince. Since when did they talk on the regular?
Probably since the ball when Patrick realized he was in love with Yumiella and thought of a way to protect her and help her out. So he used his connections as the son of a Marquess and his family's loyalty to the crown to secure time to talk.

Dex-chan lover
Lol, just shooting randomly and Ryuu likes that.

With the manga adding its own bits, and the anime getting a different ending for volume 1. I honestly don't know where the story is heading for the manga.
Anime was good, but ending bits were funny to see (not funny themselves). They were following the novels till like episode 8/9 then went "we won't finish volume 1 by 12, fuck it. All original from here."

Thanks for the TL
the Anime, and Manga, have the same problem in that if the author is making edits, they apparently want Alicia to be sympathetic, which is absolutely impossible with Book 4, while also ignoring that Eleanora's elemental affinity also is Light.

they were mostly truncating scenes, they welded "Mommy Yumellia's Dungeoneering 101" with "Yumellia gets a sword" (which tbf, Fair. those chapters are directly adjacent) and completely ruined the ending so they cant have S2 even though what actually makes VL99 good is not the book 1 material which is, and lets be perfectly fair here, a funny but trash straight take on the Villainess Otome genre.

like, my personal interpretation of this story from reading the LNs is that Yumellia and Edgelord/Chuunigirl are NOT the same person even though Yumellia thinks she is Edgelord. They share memories, in that Edgelord is manipulating Yumellia for her own entertainment, but there are moments where Yumellia isnt the abuse-victim jock she normally is and instead acts as a modern normal person in a given situation, while her thoughts are almost entirely defined by arbitrary nonsequitors that are intentionally intended to derail Yumellia, but when the main plot of book 4 starts for Yumellia, those nonsequitors stop, entirely. Almost as though Edgelord is pulling a Tsundere Villainess and watching Yumellia from a couch and doing running commentary, with Edgelord getting her second moment of Hands-On weve seen from the series with Piercy.
The anime ends with Volume 1, and there's at least 4 more volumes of stuff to go through. Alicia's anime personality would only clash with one or two plot threads. The author has mentioned that they like the anime's take on Alicia so I don't think "ruined" or "[doing] better justice of the source material" is accurate.

Regardless, it was a lot of fun seeing Patrick's PoV this chapter with a lot of good panels. Thanks for the translation!
Book 2, 4, and 5 all integrally need the prince "disgraced", and the other 2 love interests imprisoned along with Alicia. Book 3 has to deal with why Edgelord is living in Yumellia's head. Alicia could be nicer to Not-Yumellia, but her dislike of Yumellia has to be founded in some principle that doesnt conflict with a trait she shares with Eleanora, something both the manga and anime do.
That would be WN Alicia, not LN Alicia. LN Alicia doesnt randomly become a villainess, Yumellia traumatizes her to a degree bordering on mindrape because of being too used to the Dolkness Deathpits and not explaining the dangers properly. She also DOES ask Yumellia for help with magic going into the Martial Arts Tournament. Shes not a good character, but you certainly get whats happening in the book. the Anime introduces some bullshit handwavium explanation instead.
Alot of that has to do with a consistent problem with the writing itself. Yumellia is the only character who gets a ton of PoV work in the story, and the Narrator is also the archvillain of the story so why would she have any intention of giving an unbiased perspective. Edgelord thrives on sowing disinformation and miscommunication.

keeping the racism and giving Alicia more of a personality is fine, the rewrites damage the plot going forward though because the prince needs to be out of the picture.
Volumes 2 and 3 were hard to get through, but it got good again in volume 4 in my opinion. What happened in volume 4? Yumiella spent most of the novel out of contact with Patrick, and her intelligence returned.

In volume 5, Yumiella even makes a comment in her internal monologue at one point that "I've been hearing people in certain circles claiming my intelligence and maturity were dropping" which had never been said previously in the story, so I suspect it was a direct shout out to the fans who were complaining about that.
Yumellia behaves like she has, as you would expect from her upbringing, as having ADHD and PTSD with maybe some OCD on top of it. shes clearly coming apart from lack of any focus and its progressively getting worse as she has idle time during books 2 and 3. I havent read book 5 yet so i dont know how it continues there.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Lol, just shooting randomly and Ryuu likes that.

With the manga adding its own bits, and the anime getting a different ending for volume 1. I honestly don't know where the story is heading for the manga.
Anime was good, but ending bits were funny to see (not funny themselves). They were following the novels till like episode 8/9 then went "we won't finish volume 1 by 12, fuck it. All original from here."

Thanks for the TL
O, well I guess that's good for me then.

Just finished the anime, and it was okay... but it did feel rushed and a drop in continuity. (like really... the group beside her are that weak? what's the point of the training arc?)

Anyway after reading most recent chapter, even with the same continuity stuff, manga is better. Anime was decent (quite like the VA) but they changed some things in a weird way, like chap 20, had some changes that just felt off, but when i read the manga it felt right.

O... and the 3d for the dragon was just... eugh.

edit: after reading some spoilers about the WN and LN... I hope that manga is more like the anime, but just takes it time with it XD (i.e. the ending is later, and the side characters aren't so weak, but all that damn forced drama sounds annoying).

Last edited:
I'm kinda hesitating on watching the anime, since reading also good luck Patrick!l and Let Her Toot!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread