Akuyaku Reijou Tensei Oji-san - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

I, too, can never remember the names of 3/4ths of characters in games/manga/novels.
There's just too much media and there are so few characters that make enough of an impression worthy enough to remember their names.

Dex-chan lover
"It just works" Todd Howards

LOL I didn't read their names because I knew I would forget and then she heard them but still forgot anyway xDDD that was splendid.

Also, it means that oji san is ridiculously OP, if she has all the knowledge and "runes" combined with Ana's tremendously amount of mana they could pretty much destroy everythi- I mean, be at the peak of the academy.

@Ainzell The more History a language has, the stronger. So you could use a made up language/cypher but it would be extremely weak. But it's likely that if you passed it down generations then it would get stronger.

edit: Catch me using the Sherlock Holmes "Dancing Men" or other famous cypher lol
edit 2: Make that the "box cypher" since it's nice and quick
Or Morse?

@mage_goo I think the idea is that not many people will be proficient enough to instantly recognise anything outside their own little wheelhouse of knowledge.
A fire mage might not instantly recognise the ancient words for 'Earthquake' in the heat of battle, even if they know the language enough to read it in a book, simply because they never use the word for earthquake themselves.
It also reduces interference from random bystanders who don't know any ancient at all reading your signs and mucking everything up.

Dex-chan lover
@AhoBoy well, that won't really fly in a competitive setting though, like, for example, the staple magical battle tournament
since all competitor are expected to at least have some intel on their opponent
using common language that you probably able to write (and thus cast) faster than the opponent can read seems better

or maybe the meta is actually hiding your intention by using similar looking words, or similar sounding words, so you make your opponent misread your intention
so battle of magic is actually a battle of words and pun
that sounds real fun ngl

Users who are viewing this thread