April Fool's chapters should be properly labeled with clear indication that it is not a legit chapter [Rejected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
Maybe something as simple as [April Fool] as prefix or suffix on the chapter's title. It is a complete waste of time trying to catch up reading backlog on this day, I swear.
Please make April Fool pranks optional for readers, not everyone wants to participate in it.

Upvote 4
Contributor
Maybe something as simple as [April Fool] as prefix or suffix on the chapter's title. It is a complete waste of time trying to catch up reading backlog on this day, I swear.
Please make April Fool pranks optional for readers, not everyone wants to participate in it.
Tagging the chapters would defeat the point. Look at this as an opportunity to let everyone else have fun and you get to take a break from reading manga (at least on MD) for 24-48 hours.

Once the event is over all the joke/meme chapters will be cleaned up and placed in a collection.

Dex-chan lover
Depends on what kind of april fools prank we're talking about. Mangadex orange is a great prank, same goes for the "ads" in the website. A joke chapter written in some gibberish language is kinda just a waste of time for people who want to read, especially since there's other groups posting proper chapters today, and you really can't tell until you open it.

Contributor
A joke chapter written in some gibberish language is kinda just a waste of time for people who want to read, especially since there's other groups posting proper chapters today, and you really can't tell until you open it.
That's kind of the point...
“Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.” –Forrest Gump.

I wonder how many people here have actually seen that movie. I am sure the number will make me sad

Dex-chan lover
April Fools chapters are unfunny, unoriginal, low-effort wastes of my time. Not to speak of the disappointment of not getting another chapter of a favorite, but having to see someone's mental diarrhea instead.

I'd much prefer it to just be able to opt-out of them. Make it a hidden tag or something and let me toggle it off. Would make purging them the next day much easier, too.

Dex-chan lover
April Fools chapters are unfunny, unoriginal, low-effort wastes of my time. Not to speak of the disappointment of not getting another chapter of a favorite, but having to see someone's mental diarrhea instead.

I'd much prefer it to just be able to opt-out of them. Make it a hidden tag or something and let me toggle it off. Would make purging them the next day much easier, too.
A lot of cry-babies here throwing a temper tantrum because they couldn't get their bottle on April Fools lol

Dex-chan lover
Tagging the chapters would defeat the point.
Depends on how it's implemented. The chapters could be marked as "april's fool release" internally (by the uploader), and users would have an option allowing them to disable (hide) such releases, similar to the "Show April Fool" option in the settings:
Screenshot-2023-04-01-161040.png

Those who have the option enabled still won't be able to tell it's an April's Fool release, and that's alright, because they chose to enable them. Meanwhile, those who don't like April's Fool don't need to participate. Win-win.

I do like MD Orange and the ads, though, so I'd appreciate if disabling April releases didn't affect my ability to "hook up with lonely anime waifus in my region" or whatever.

Contributor
Think of it this way, this is MAngadex's time of the year to not just fool the readers on this site, but at every single freaking aggregator site that steals their chapters from here. Think how those readers feel, especially since those site usually don't fix the joke chapters.

Dex-chan lover
Think of it this way, this is MAngadex's time of the year to not just fool the readers on this site, but at every single freaking aggregator site that steals their chapters from here. Think how those readers feel, especially since those site usually don't fix the joke chapters.
You'd think that if those aggregators actually bothered filtering those joke releases, they'd just suspend their crawlers for 48 hours on April 1, no?

Dex-chan lover
If they spent the time they did making this April Fools ads and orange membership drivel into fixing bugs or introducing long awaited features (genre filtering when?), they’d have an actual decent site by now…

Dex-chan lover
I mean, obviously, yes. But you also forgot that it should always come alongside the respective real chapter, conform to GMT+0, be flagged as troll-chapter in the API so ppl can filter them out, be removed/moved once the date changes, and not be utterly obnoxious (ie. autoplay sounds).

Some things are just basic common sense and etiquette.
Tagging the chapters would defeat the point. Look at this as an opportunity to let everyone else have fun and you get to take a break from reading manga (at least on MD) for 24-48 hours.

Once the event is over all the joke/meme chapters will be cleaned up and placed in a collection.
No? Definitely doesn't defeat the point. Unless you consider the point of april fools to be annoying, rather than humorous.
Think of it this way:
  • On one hand we have MD's april fools joke, about premium subscriptions and funny ads linking to randomised titles. This is a funny, humorous and harmless april fools joke
  • On another hand we have some group uploading actual chapters that are nothing but empty pages, or worse, real pages with fake translations spoiling stuff. But not uploading the real chapter alongside it. This is an annoying and obnoxious attempt at wasting everyones time and happy mood. Disqualified the title of april fools joke, and they are called spam-/troll-chapter for a reason.
  • On a third hand we have a group uploading an old existing chapter (maybe even replacing it temporarily - acceptable due to existence of aggregators) that has fake translations or different pages, etc. This is a funny(?), harmless april fools joke.
Yes, opting out would be nice. Or maybe at least have some quality assurance that they follow common sense and april fools etiquette.
A lot of cry-babies here throwing a temper tantrum because they couldn't get their bottle on April Fools lol
Waaauh~! Waaagh~! [and other crying baby sounds :)] :hearts:
I do like MD Orange and the ads, though, so I'd appreciate if disabling April releases didn't affect my ability to "hook up with lonely anime waifus in my region" or whatever.
This ^
If they spent the time they did making this April Fools ads and orange membership drivel into fixing bugs or introducing long awaited features (genre filtering when?), they’d have an actual decent site by now…
The stuff MD's own april fools joke consists of is really not comparable time-wise. All they did was add a randomised "ad" field, a banner, and a page with fake premium options. The actual 'ads' themselves are very unlikely made by the devs either. Not to mention it's reused every year.
As for translated chapters, I do notice a huge downtick in releases prior to april 1st. But they are doing it as a hobby and for free, let them manage their own free-time...

Double-page supporter
Do you even know how much time it takes to photoshop the ads? And moreover this is a hobby for the MD team, they work on this site after doing their regular jobs, they aren't paid for it. And what good is a hobby if they can't have fun for one day of the year? April Fools is a regular tradition of Mangadex's. They do something ever year.

And do you actually think they do nothing all year around, and the only time they do something is when you can visibly see a change? You have been here for a long time, you know how bad things were before they went offline. Building and operating a massively popular website takes time.

Dex-chan lover
April Fools chapters are unfunny, unoriginal, low-effort wastes of my time
Just take up scanlation of your favorites and avoid this problem, plain and simple. With AI developing so fast,I'm sure you can figure it out. I find it hard to complain about stuff that I get for free with absolutely 0 effort from me, just my opinion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread