Asobinin wa Kenja ni Tenshoku Dekiru tte Shittemashita? ~ Yuusha Party o Tsuihou Sareta Lv 99 - Vol. 2 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
One day I believe and deeply hope that manga artists will realize (at least with the Japanese method of making them) katanas are absolute shite. They are good for killing peasants and that's about it. All that folding was to give their terrible ore a chance to make a decent blade and the whole thing is design is around this compromise for a functional blade. Making them incredibly easy (if made using that stupid folding method they like to fap to) to break against any good piece of armor (they might get lucky and slip through the gaps admittedly) or blunt weapon like a mace.

Everyone is talking about the breasts and the katana while i'm wondering how the beast folk haven't taken over the world. It took her a quick contract, 5 minutes and a few drops of blood to create a legendary sword. There has to be more restrictions to it or the beast folk would steamroll everyone.

@Lioslin One would also assume, that since it was created in a rather unique way it is probably made from something else than just your everyday steel and maybe even enchanted with some effects? Fantasy ya know. A rapier would break after a few hits from the side too, but it is enough to say "it is made from the legendary mithril" and no one is surprised that the character can tank a boss with it.
We will see...

Dex-chan lover
@Aichan
The only actual way to make steel 'shatter' would be to alternate temperatures very quickly from hot to cold or vice versa. I was just overexaggerating that it would break with a good clean hit from the much thicker and sturdier European swords. A katana was made from absolute trash steel due to iron sand being the only viable way to get tamahagane for their forging. Look up tamahagane and see how pitiful it looks as a forging metal. There's a 'lovely' picture on the wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamahagane
I know a blacksmith who actually forges all kinds of things. From swords to armor to chain mail. Katanas are designed to cut only with motion, as well as only parry very carefully or it will snap with a strong head on blow. He took great pleasure in showing me how it happens, lol. He doesn't like katanas, either. He says they're far too limited in what they can actualy do, as well as becoming useless far easier from simple wear and tear. They're just inferior swords due to being designed around using subpar materials.
A katana will break much easier than a sword designed for hitting armor. They were only designed for hardened leather or flesh. And if a European sword dulls, its still sturdy and thick enough to keep hitting things with it, instead of breaking. They'll break eventually, sure. But not nearly as quickly.

I'm still disconcerted by the size of those breasts.
This uneasiness will not be diminished!

Dex-chan lover
@Riger
It's magically smithed tho
Since it's supposedly strong enough to be used against dragons, we could assume that it has properties that allow it to at least pierce dragon scales and at least bear the entire weight of a person without breaking.

We should judge it for its shape and usage instead.
afaik, katanas are good for:
- taking it out of the scabbard quickly
- somewhat straight enough that it can be used like a straight sword
- somewhat curved enough that it facilitates doing draw cuts in a single motion

However, if the magic smithing doesn't magically make weapons as light as feather, then it would actually be heavier than a cavalry sabre of similar length, and still shorter than a longsword of similar weight.

Also, you can't unscrew its pommel.

Dex-chan lover
I am still under the impression this is from the mind of Asanagi.
With a different artist to protect the innocent.

Is kinda foolish to expect something other that the japaneses bias in a japanese manga. Is not like someday a japanese mangaka is going to give us glorious Toledo or Damascus steel weapons.

Dex-chan lover
@jonsmth
You can't cut with it like a straight sword. The design of a katana only cuts through a sliding motion. You can smash your palm against the blade straight on and never cut yourself unless you move it up or down.
And of course you can't 'unscrew' the pommel. you just pull out the linchpin and remove it that way.

Dex-chan lover
@Riger
I mean you could use it like a straight sword like you could poke/thrust with it. Some curved swords are very curved.

I doubt you wouldn't cut yourself if you smash your palm against the edge. However, you can grab the blade with your bare hands and not get cut as long as you don't slide your hand along the blade.

> And of course you can't 'unscrew' the pommel
I guess you aren't really into historical European martial arts and know the "end him rightly" meme

well, you even mentioned of "sword designed for hitting armor" which isn't really isn't any of the European swords. hardened leather (not really often used) and gambesons (basically thick cloth armor) can actually stop sword cuts and you have to thrust with your sword if you want to make contact with skin. as for fighting against plate armor, you half-sword and try to thrust into the gaps, or go into a mordhau grip and clobber your opponent with the hilt of your sword.

Of course it was a katana, why was I even expecting anything more interesting. Anyway, here to correct some weird misconceptions about katanas, longswords, and rapiers I've seen in the comments:

No sword is made to strike at armor, they can pierce through the padding underneath and snap maille rings if thrust well, but a longsword blade will look as bad as a katana blade if repeatedly smashed against plate. Sharp swords get nicks really easily, I have gotten small ones in the blade just by trying out the feel of the bind with sharp. The advantage European swords have when it comes to reliability is the steel quality; European swords are made of spring steel that will return to shape if bent, a katana will remain straight until it snaps. All edges accrue damage from contact with the opponent's blade. A longsword won't shatter a katana, and it won't survive blade contact with one without any damage, but it's likely going to come out slightly less damaged.

Katanas and longswords can and in practice do cut in the exact same way, you don't have to do a draw-cut to cut with a katana. In fact, a katana is super easy to hew cleanly with; it's thick, heavy for its length, and rigid. All of this helps turn a botched strike into a really great cut. You can of course also do push- and pull-cuts with both sword types. No blade will cut anything if you simply place it on your hand, they all need either tip-speed or sliding motion. Or both.

Rapier's are pretty sturdy, they tend to weigh almost as much as a longsword, and being made from the earlier mentioned spring steel, take punishment relatively well and return to shape. Here's a video of some guys trying to break a training rapier by hitting it with blunt longswords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRxZod-iI0

Love, a HEMA autist.

Dex-chan lover
@Riger did your blacksmith friend also tell you how swords are not used to defeat armor in first place? That's what blunt weapons are for. Swords, any kind of sword, would need to attack the unarmored joints. In first place a sharp edge is inherently brittle. And if you're not using the sword for its sharp edge, why not just get a blunt weapon.

For that matter, that the premier war weapon was the spear, not the sword.

Dex-chan lover
TO EVERYONE MAD ABOUT IT BEING A KATANA:
Down the line it gets upgraded into a regular, double bladed longsword. So in fact the katana is an inferior form.

Dex-chan lover
@Kyte
There are several swords meant for armor. They're usually large and have blunted edges, though. Like the estoc, for example (he told me to put that one in because he reeeeally likes them). You don't have to punch through plate armor to do damage to the soft and squishy middle. Just dent it hard enough that the armor harms the chewy center for you.
Heavy blunt arms like maces and morningstars were insanely heavy. So many used a blunted and weighted sword to smash armor like any other blunt instrument that was a little lighter so they could swing it longer.
I've even seen a few huge swords in museums that had no edge at all, but did have two much smaller spikes sticking out of the sides to pierce when swung. Like a lower case letter T. I've seen a few crucifix shaped swords meant for smashing and piercing armor, as well.

Not a single one of these things could have been done by a katana.

Supporter
Still trying to inderstant how they can do anything with sich enormous boobies.... Even for me, who like big ballons, this ones are too much...

Dex-chan lover
Wait what, Samurai? I thought he is a sage and needed a (second) staff or wand.

Users who are viewing this thread