Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu - Vol. 4 Ch. 46

Contributor
@comeonnow

If I had to guess, it's that Ichikawa's genuinely kind and caring about her despite his negative demeanor. When it comes to middle school, where your status is almost entirely based on your looks, that can hold a lot of value. See Chapter 42, when Ichikawa's reading the shoujo manga Yamada recommended. The two have hung out together enough to really see different sides of each other, and as such Yamada's grown a lot more comfortable around him. She likes what she sees, so to speak. Her feelings just gradually developed over time instead of there being one big moment where she falls in love, which I honestly feel is more natural.

@labanina and @Koni So that means that she wants this to develop into a romantic relationship? All of the hints are that she not only does want it to develop into romance but that she is confident enough in herself to lead Ichikawa down that path as well. Again, I get why she'd want to be friends with him. However, in my opinion, what you both described is more reason for them to be friends, not for them to be romantic interests.

Then again, I get that they're middle school students, so it's whatever. I'm just more surprised that she has so much confidence to follow through on this.

Contributor
@comeonnow That's just who Yamada is, IMO. She's both very stubborn and very optimistic. And to be fair, this manga's told almost entirely told from Ichikawa's POV, so we never really get into any insight about what Yamada thinks. We can only infer from her actions. It also helps that Ichikawa honestly likes her as well, but he's just far too negative to really do anything about it.

Personally, I think the best relationships arise from good friendships. The two have good chemistry as friends, and I can see it develop into something more.

@comeonnow reread the manga he's not graduating a virgin: she's force-feeding him, baits him into touching her body, leglocks him in place alone in crammed storeroom, always presents the most meaty parts of her body for him to see, discreetly figured out his home address, she goddamn changed his clothes when he was sick and sneak-forced him to accept valentine chokos without dude realizing anything, she has a small altar of gifted items at home consisting of tea can back from school trip and bunch of tissues Kyou autistically smeared all over the library when she broke her nose, they had a designated squeeze-corner for discreet hugging at school behind the stairs, woman is literally applying every shoujo seduction trick that she can, memeposts his phone at night and was so worried when he broke his hand she forgot to cover her tits for a videocall.

So, you know, no they shouldn't be "just friends" and they won't be.

It's also a point to remember that Ichikawa is actually pretty good looking himself despite being an edgy manlet.
It's why most of the fan art is of him too.

@labanina

Please don't tell me you're actually doing a proper translation directly from the japanese source without the help on an app or some other sort of machine translation. Or why is it that difficult for you to translate those simple handwritten remarks next to the characters like Yamada's “it's the info source I trust most“ ? I mean.... really? ^.^;

I'd be ashamed of myself if I were to release such “translations“ to the public, but whatever floats your boat. At least you're honest with your skills by putting a warning at the beginning of the chapters, and you're doing it for free. Impatient folks will appreciate your work.

@Kimzark If they want to take the effort to translate, good on them. They should direct their attention to one of the manifold titles that have been overlooked by others or dropped by a group midway through. Wasting your time on a series that's already receiving a competent translation when you could be bringing something new instead? That's not praiseworthy in the slightest.

@Ataru I am using capture2text, KanjiTomo, readiris, Jisho and DeepL + GoogleTL.
All are shit at recognizing handwriting and I'm not about to spend hours on hunting those cryptoglyphs in online dictionaries.
You are free to release your own shitty version of TL and feel ashamed for it though.

By the way,
it's the info source I trust most
is top left panel on this page https://mangadex.org/chapter/975452/10?

@perchance
they should
do it then mate

@Koni I do agree that one of the issues is that we basically only ever see Ichikawa's point of view. We've seen Yamada be flustered sometimes. We've seen her show indecision and doubt before, especially when her nose was broken in an earlier chapter. From what we've seen, she's not perfectly sure of herself. And yet, when it comes to Ichikawa, she seems to be. With the one exception of just a few chapters ago when he thought he was being used, she has been steadfast in her advances on him.

The interesting/weird thing is that she's not just seeing him as dependable. She sees him for what he is; also unsure of himself and self-doubting, hence her need to be so assertive. You are right, though, that the lack of her perspective when it comes to Ichikawa makes it seem incomplete.

@labanina That's not my point. I get that she IS doing all of those things. She very clearly DOES want him to be a romantic interest. The issue I have is WHY she wants that. We haven't really heard why she sees him as more than a male friend in the same vein as her female friends.

@comeonnow
We haven't really heard
"we" were shown that.
It's show, not tell, kind of manga. You'll be missing a lot of small details one wouldn't expect from a romcom with that kind of attitude.

@DirkHardpeck
He's responsible for Yamada' awakening. Only one way to take responsibility now.

when did ichi stop being a future seeing, mind reading psychoanalyst and turn into a blind, deaf retard?

@labanina funny, unlike you I actually am attached to a release of an otherwise untranslated series. Go read Shaferhund if you want to, though only people who enjoy terrible train wrecks should bother.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I'm gonna wait for boredom, bokuyaba should be enjoyed at its best.

Dex-chan lover
@Dael
when did ichi stop being a future seeing, mind reading psychoanalyst
When he was one? And what makes you see him as a blind and deaf retard now?

@comeonnow
The issue I have is WHY she wants that.
This question can be asked about any other romance manga, or any romance media, for that matter - why not just stay friends with him/her?
Should there really be any criterias for staying just friends or starting a romantic relationship? And if so, what are those criterias?

Users who are viewing this thread