Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata: Senjou wo Kakeru Kaifuku Youin - Vol. 13 Ch. 64

Dex-chan lover
We've had a plethora of harem MC protags before that, and a bunch of them were dense (Ranma, Tenchi, Keitarou, Saito). We've had other protagonists who were dense before that (Ataru, Yuuji, Inuyasha). The difference is how dense they are. Over time traits get exaggerated.
Inuyasha? A harem MC? I gotta stop you there. There was only Kagome and at MOST Kikyo.
And Kagome is basically Kikyo's reincarnation.
He was kind of a musclehead, but he still cared for the women in his life, albeit clumsily.

Dex-chan lover
That guy didn't really that dense. He only pretend to be dense to avoid bloodbath. 😅
Think you overestimate him. But maybe you're right. We'd need to have insight into his inner thoughts to be certain. :thonk:

Dex-chan lover
So we have a guy who went crazy and became super powerful, and springs which if you drink from them, make you go crazy and super powerful. Surely, these two things aren't connected.

But really though, I'm assuming Karon got dosed by the "rival hero" (or their faction), who managed to get their hands on the spring water + secretly poisoned him with it. Dunno what exactly caused him to be "lured to" the ice staff yet, but considering the spring + the staff are both related to the same dragon, it's probly related too. But it's also possible he just took the staff because he knew the other hero was up to no good once he got poisoned + started going crazy, and he just wanted to get the staff away from him (which might explain why even after going crazy, he was still chosen by the staff, because even if losing his mind, he started with good intentions).
I think Leona is the other hero candidate! That's why she wanted to stop him and was probably the only one capable? Also the Queen was about to say something about her becoming...when Leona interrupted her! I'm guessing she feels somehow responsible? Maybe he is her brother or fiancé? But the "third party" pulling the strings is also possible! But that would mean Usato has to get a power up, defeated/heal the "dragon hero" and defeat the conspirators! Making this a long ass arc, and we're still far from the beast kingdom!

Dex-chan lover
Not dismissing, but "one of the first"? That's like 2010 or something. IS is very derivative in its character design. Pretty sure there were dense protagonists long before that.
May 25th, 2009, specifically. Also, I think it's because Dragonball is to shonen manga/anime what Lord of the Rings is to the Fantasy genre, casting a mighty shadow over the genre.

Dex-chan lover
Inuyasha? A harem MC? I gotta stop you there.
Read what I wrote again. He's in the group of other protagonists, meaning non-harem MCs.

May 25th, 2009, specifically.
That's actually closer than I expected. Just half a year off.

Also, I think it's because Dragonball is to shonen manga/anime what Lord of the Rings is to the Fantasy genre, casting a mighty shadow over the genre.
I wouldn't quite go that far. LotR defined the entire genre, but while Dragonball certainly is influential, there's a lot of other inspiration sources. If you specify shonen action there's a bit more to it, though.

Dex-chan lover
Read what I wrote again. He's in the group of other protagonists, meaning non-harem MCs.
Hence the part after the spoiler. He was a little dense, but to be frank, shy heroines or tsunderes playing mind games with our protagonists are a dime a dozen, which makes it hard for guys to figure out their intentions.

Dex-chan lover
but to be frank, shy heroines or tsunderes playing mind games with our protagonists are a dime a dozen, which makes it hard for guys to figure out their intentions.
And most people blame the MC for that, since it's always the guy who has to act. Which is probably a reason why so many are considered denser than they actually are.

Dex-chan lover
Think you overestimate him. But maybe you're right. We'd need to have insight into his inner thoughts to be certain. :thonk:
At certain point in the story, Ichika admit he's aware of the girl's feeling toward him. But he choose to ignore it because those girls often turn violent when things didn't go their way.

Dex-chan lover
I can't believe it took him that many pages to get bruh.... the density of this guy is on a transcendent level

Dex-chan lover
I wouldn't quite go that far. LotR defined the entire genre, but while Dragonball certainly is influential, there's a lot of other inspiration sources. If you specify shonen action there's a bit more to it, though.
I would go that far. LotR defined the genre, even though there were a few precursors to Tolkien's work. So did Dragonball upon shonen. Remember that Dragonball started in 1984, when Barefoot Gen was still being written; Maison Ikkoku came out just 4 years prior, Captain Tsubasa three years prior. Dragonball is basically when shonen really started to change to the genre it is now, being more than sports, sentai, and mecha combined with its action storylines like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hajime no Ippo (1989, younger than Dragonball!) and more; when what used to be seinen-only storylines and concepts were simplified and brought into the shonen sphere, as well (and that's why some of the best shonen are those that are on the cusp of seinen).

this guy cant complain about being called a meat slab like ogre when hes fucking packed full like a dwarf star, leo - leona my fucking lord

Dex-chan lover
Hm well at least the settings seems more interesting + including more action than the previous on, so that's something.

And while I'd like to say those Usato monster jokes get old they only do to extent. There are far less frequent but way worse ones...

Aggregator gang
I hate how selectively stupid the autor makes Usato. He's a smart guy, but then as soon as another harem candidate is introduced, he just loses all intelligence. It's annoying.

Dex-chan lover
Fuck me, does the author identify MC as a vegetable? Did all that training lobotomize this dude? I got to the Leo part then immediately closed the chapter. The writing in this manga went from interesting, to fun, to mouth-drooling retarded real fucking quick. You never go full-retard author...

Users who are viewing this thread