• Ban Solo Leveling

Votes: 4,192 65.3%
  • Ban Isekai

Votes: 2,230 34.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The elder gods hereby accept and agree with this valuable knowledge and understanding that will secure the future of MangaDex which will last for countless centuries that will be greatly appreciated by our cultured descendants with great interest by which our forefathers did and they will follow our footsteps.

Dex-chan lover
I liked it when there were those fake April fool's ads. But thankfully these aren't here to stay

Dex-chan lover
ban solo leveing or ban isekai? pretty random but if I have to choose I will go with solo leveling, I never heard of it before, and I have some manga that I like in the isekai genre, also I'm fine with ads as long as they aren't annoying

Dex-chan lover
So we banning solo leveling?
a2vfpcrx9wb51.jpg

Aggregator gang
@Plykiya The site is named MANGADEX, NOT MANHWADEX.

Ban Solo Leveling.

Always prioritize manga over manhwa and especially over manhua.

I don't mind permanent ads as long as it SAFE. Hand picked & curated by mod.

Contributor
make all manhua compressed images only.
unregistered users too.

or make uncompressed images an option for all manga. Default compressed.

paypal did mention crypto payments may happen in second half of 2021

Dex-chan lover
Genuine question, is it possible for us to just spend a weekend clicking the ad and downloading the game before uninstalling it and repeating to grind for ad money?

@SushiBentou Terrible idea, if data saving mode is default, some people that are too dumb to realize that the data saving option can be turned off in the setting will rant about how MD have low quality images before leaving.

@Sola Bad take lol. Manga and manhwa are just Asian comics from different countries. Prioritizing one over the other just feels like double standard

Why not just ban things that aren't manga, period? Knocks out Solo Leveling and a good chunk of isekai. It's a shame since I read a lot of webtoons but I wouldn't be upset if it meant niche manga have a place where they can be preserved in good quality.

@SushiBentou this..

If you wanna ensure the quality in long run, say "fuck you" to aggregator sites, and get rid of scrapers, compress the image quality for unregistered users.

Would fix all of the issues. Problem with image quality? Just register and show your support noob.

Im personally against ads and would rather agree any other solution over it since it effectively kills the only justification I have, when I tell other people to use mangadex over "stealing aggregator sites that are full of ads, and steal content for living". Its just not pretty when someone takes money on professional grade and serves copyrighted content.

That being said, its our fault for not donating enough :(

is a Reindeer
VIP
Thank you for the transparency - the team does amazing work
@azuremirage We try our best to be as transparent as we can

I appreciate the detailed and transparent breakdown of the ad. Thank you.
@Dridespoon Appreciated back

Is there no way to donate beside crypto?
@Udokotela Crypto is the only method that isn't as susceptible to legal risks. Paypal and other popular payment processors are based in the US, generally requires giving up your own personal information, US companies mean US laws, and US laws are scary.
@IdanaHamz Above
@Greenfrost Above
@RaRaRasputin2 Above
@potatophish Same as above. Even if we've known them for a long time, having that potential security risk is too much of a gamble.
@Skim Your suggestion runs into the same issues as above, making regular transactions like that with crypto isn't easy nor are we interested in a premium model anyways.

My main concern with this decision isn't the ads themselves, but the attack vector they create for those who'd want to take down the site and/or sue its maintainers. It's a real shame we couldn't avoid this.
@pip25 Well hopefully them being based in China makes all the difference.

Very nicely done mangadex team!
The thinking ahead, planning for the future and the testing of possibilities subjects all sound like they're solidly being managed.
@RedTempest Appreciated

happy you are taking this approach. But don't get greedy(which you are not BY FAR). If publishers fine out you are making good money they will try to take it, by taking you out.
@fredthefree Of course. If the site ever stopped being non-profit, most of staff would quit since we're not interested in making any money off of this or doing it as a job. Merely just a small hobby.

Thanks for the transparency. I'm fine with a banner or single ad on the main site for desktops, like how Batoto used to do it. You guys rock! Keep up the good work.
@Vlaedr88 Appreciated, thanks. Transparency is an important thing to us.

A lot of people who use this site seem to forget that scanlation is still Illegal literally around the world (thanks disney). And since almost all english-language fundraiser/crowdfunding/donation sites are run on top of paypal/stripe (I've looked) and you need to provide real life personal info to get accounts they have a stranglehold on the whole market. It's really very frustrating.
@hollyguild Pretty much, yeah. If we ever leave a paper trail around, that's just fuel for publishers to go after.

Genuine question, is it possible for us to just spend a weekend clicking the ad and downloading the game before uninstalling it and repeating to grind for ad money?
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN I want to pin you down and smell you, also probably doesn't work like that.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
I want to pin you down and smell you, also probably doesn't work like that.
Not with that attitude.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
The way they're formatted is pretty different actually. So different that it's part of the reason Solo Leveling wrecks the site. Manga is generally not full color and the pages aren't one giant strip from top to bottom. If dex doesn't host webtoons somewhere else that can actually afford to will pick up the slack since they're so popular.

Aggregator gang
Ban all Korean content, please. This is because I can read it in Korean if I want.

Fed-Kun's army
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN , wait a minute, that's a good idea. Mods should implement a data saving mode by default for all user, because a lot of people are dumb they will think that all manga on MD is low quality. Leaving us who frequent the site an enjoyable experience because a lot of dumb people leave this site for other website. Hm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread