Cultural differences in language/conversations

- Q: Could it be that you actually like pancakes? A: N-no, you got it totally wrong! I mean, I don't mind eating pancakes, but I don't exactly love them or anything..
- Q: Do you hate me? - Even though some version of "I guess you don't feel the same way about me" would be more appropriate and realistic in the context

Above examples seem to occur often in both Japanese and Korean manga. Are these common stereotypes or speech patterns for the languages in the area, or should we just consider them bad translations (despite how common they are)?

Dex-chan lover
I think it's the culture. Like in Japanese, they don't say "I miss you", they say "I want(ed) to see you", you can translate it to either sentence though in English "I miss you" is more common.

70 years into the relationship, seeing each other naked is still borderline blasphemy. Seriously, lesbian-manga-sensei, quit the bullshit.
It's a major hurdle.. Japanese and Korean conservative values.
- One of the girls has to be the guy in the relationship?
- A third girl who actually loved one of the main characters since way back, but is introduced halfway into the series? Sensei, you're being lazy. While girl/girl relationships may be more common than guy/guy relationships, they are still not "common" in that way.

Dex-chan lover
Latin doesn't use article adjectives because it doesn't need article adjectives. Because of noun and verb endings, they would be superfluous at best as you can clearly indicate number and person without them as well as where in the sentence it is. Just an interesting tidbit.

Dex-chan lover
From what I've learned online, a common mistake begginer conlangers do is that their conlang has the exact same language structure when not all languages are necessarily the same. I make sure to keep this in mind when designing my first conlang.

On another note, which one would be better? Localization-translation or literal-translation? Personally prefer the prior cause the latter sounds weird.

Dex-chan lover
Filler words to soften tones or harden tones are great for texting. Sarcasm sometimes ruin English texts. "I don't mean to be offensive but", "Well I'm sure that was great for you" "Lol" "Sure" "Couldn't have done it without you"

Users who are viewing this thread