Damedol to Sekai ni Hitori Dake no Fan - Ch. 16 - Popochi

Dex-chan lover
Poponchi's gonna get her heart broken, it is written in the stars already.

Dex-chan lover
What in the nine hell is going on with the USA...
Why do people who want to express a surprise dont use word that already exist? Like "damn", "shit", "hell", or any of the other dozen word that actualy mean something?

Beginning to suspect she is the reason Urumin has not been able to pop off in popularity if she has this habit of sabotaging her behind the scenes.
Urumin is not succefull cose she has no skill... That's half the plot and the entire reason she has a single fan.

How long until anglos communicate exclusively in grunts?
When you listen to some of them it's already the case. I wonder how far they will go.

Dex-chan lover
unitedstatesian
Before Americans started calling themselves “American”, it was purely an exonym; the people called “American” instead called themselves things such as “Anishnabek” and “Mopan”. The colonizers and descendents of colonizers still referred to themselves by the names of people of the colonizing nations. No one wanted the name “American” until Americans adopted it, an only ahistorical grievance-mongering raises objection to this endonym.

Dex-chan lover
Perhaps you should learn a little more about linguistics, translation and understand about using language with which suits the character. I would never have Kimiya use that language, for example- but a young fuccboi character set in modern day? Absolutely and you'd be an idiot to think he wouldn't speak that way.
Localizer-san I hope you slip and twist your ankle on the first patch of ice this winter.

Dex-chan lover
I'm impressed that such an inept attempt at looking kewl would come from someone who were not an ESL guy.

Indeed it is, and you have failed.
Is it impossible for you to separate the author (or in this case, the TL) from the character? I've explained my reasoning as to why Kuzutani would use that word. I, personally, never use it nor "rizz" or whatever. But knowing words is my job.
Nope. Maybe a TikTok shut-in would do so, but he's not speaking as would an Anglophone equivalent to the character.
Yes, he's speaking Japanese and speaking in equally meme-y colloquial language, what is your fucking point? Because a word doesn't exist in one language I'm not allowed to put the equivalent? You're showing how little you know about linguistics and translation in general.
You need to learn the proper spelling of “y'all”; it is “you all” with the “ou” lost in ellision, not “ya all” with a second “a” lost.
Oooh, big get. Except it's not when both are acceptable (link here) Though I'll admit "y'all" is more common, so...half point for you?
More importantly, you need to understand that an uproar about slang, largely amongst user of the language for which it is a slang, means that you're doing it wrong.
Slang is in all languages and going out of your way to avoid using it betrays the essence of the words being used. But if you're so offended, I kindly invite you to not read my translations any more.

Dex-chan lover
Lmao, the man who has a job related to translation is doing the free work of translating and editing the manga for you all to read, why are you all getting in a hissy fit over the usage of hilarious meme terms like "GYAT" and "rizz" in an equally jokes manga (which, according to professional translator man, is actually contextually correct anyway)? How entitled can you freeloaders get... This translation and editing is hilarious and enhances the jokes, if you're turned away cause of "GYAT" you need to go read something else and also take a walk outside

Dex-chan lover
@RyuukuSensei you sound upset, what's wrong? Seeing criticism for the first time?
You obviously don't know me well- I've had a lot of criticism and welcome it with each post I make (albeit on the reddit post) I just don't suffer morons that don't know what the hell they're talking about getting on their high horse and oozing self-righteousness.

Dex-chan lover
Lmao, the man who has a job related to translation is doing the free work of translating and editing the manga for you all to read, why are you all getting in a hissy fit over the usage of hilarious meme terms like "GYAT" and "rizz" in an equally jokes manga (which, according to professional translator man, is actually contextually correct anyway)? How entitled can you freeloaders get... This translation and editing is hilarious and enhances the jokes, if you're turned away cause of "GYAT" you need to go read something else and also take a walk outside
I like you. Let's get married.

Dex-chan lover
Uwaa. I hate her but I also like her in various ways :meguu:

Dex-chan lover
Which is it? Am I a tiktok brain cancer zoomer or a boomer? Also, you're wrong. Or rather, half-right at best.
You didn't read that well. Y'all stands for you all, which is how you used it, as the apostrophe is added where the contraction occurs. They are basically saying on that page that ya'll would be equivalent to "yeah you all", which isn't something people actually do. As for me calling you a boomer, it's a joke to wind you up because you are taking all this too seriously, I'm like 10 years older than you.

Dex-chan lover
You didn't read that well. Y'all stands for you all, which is how you used it, as the apostrophe is added where the contraction occurs. They are basically saying on that page that ya'll would be equivalent to "yeah you all", which isn't something people actually do. As for me calling you a boomer, it's a joke to wind you up because you are taking all this too seriously, I'm like 10 years older than you.
In his post, though, "ya'll" could be replaced with "yeah you all" and the sentence would still be correct. but also, I'm having a hard time believing you're ~44 years old and calling online strangers boomers to rile them up on an internet forum in your spare time

Dex-chan lover
Is it impossible for you to separate the author (or in this case, the TL) from the character?
No; it's easy.
I've explained my reasoning as to why Kuzutani would use that word.
And your explanation is wrong, because you've confused two subcultures, as multiple people have tried to tell you.
knowing words is my job.
You do your job poorly.
Yes, he's speaking Japanese and speaking in equally meme-y colloquial language, what is your fucking point?
The fucking point has been repeatedly made: Slang of this sort wouldn't be used by Anglophones who engage in activities of these sorts nor in the closest Western equivalents. You might as well have them using Edwardian slang or cowboy slang.
Because a word doesn't exist in one language I'm not allowed to put the equivalent?
Using that strawman is knavish or foolish or both.
You're showing how little you know about linguistics and translation in general.
Your argument from anonymous authority is silly.
Oooh, big get. Except it's not when both are acceptable (link here) Though I'll admit "y'all" is more common, so...half point for you?
No, I'll take the full point owed. Anyone who is actually familiar with linguistics understands that an anything-goes faction is out there. Anyone who's intelligently considered the matter knows that language loses its power as a tool if we accept their prescription and take it to its logical conclusion, and I explained why the spelling is “y'all”.
Slang is in all languages and going out of your way to avoid using it betrays the essence of the words being used.
Another strawman. No one here has told you not to use slang; you've been told not to use it badly.
if you're so offended, I kindly invite you to not read my translations any more.
And I'll complement that invitation with a suggestion that you not read comments criticizing your inept use of slang. Doing so would seem rather hypocritical.

For what it's worth, my purpose in commenting was to object to poor plotting, but then I found Yank-bashing in response to your use of shitpie slang, so I stepped-in because you rather clearly weren't a Yank. The fact that it was obvious that you weren't a Yank should be a strong hint to you that you've botched the use of the slang.

Users who are viewing this thread