Dou ka Ore wo Houtte Oitekure - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - I Don't Want to Start My High School Life All Over Again in the First Place, Alright?

Dex-chan lover
Isn't the dude just a pretend edgelord? He's actually looking down on the other students, thinking their company couldn't possibly have anything to offer and all of their interests are a trifle. It's certainly true that maintaining friendships would be annoying if you can't respect the other people are at all and have nothing in common with them, and in fact every moment spent with them would only make you wish you were doing something else. Whether that's true, though, is another matter. Making friends in high school is hardly rocket science, unless you are an immediate massive bullying victim, so anyone could do it. So, just like the dude said, he doesn't have friends because he wants none. That could suggest he's on the autism spectrum. He only cares about light novels, and anything else is an unwanted disturbance.

Fed-Kun's army
Isn't the dude just a pretend edgelord? He's actually looking down on the other students, thinking their company couldn't possibly have anything to offer and all of their interests are a trifle. It's certainly true that maintaining friendships would be annoying if you can't respect the other people are at all and have nothing in common with them, and in fact every moment spent with them would only make you wish you were doing something else. Whether that's true, though, is another matter. Making friends in high school is hardly rocket science, unless you are an immediate massive bullying victim, so anyone could do it. So, just like the dude said, he doesn't have friends because he wants none. That could suggest he's on the autism spectrum. He only cares about light novels, and anything else is an unwanted disturbance.
That is a reasonable assessment; going by what has been depicted on-panel, it is not so much that our leading man tried and failed as it is that he hardly tried at all.

Socializing can be exhausting for introverted types (hence the name), but ending up completely alone in a situation like public school requires special circumstances. Even I had a friend group.

I do appreciate the author's approach so far. The main character is not as hopeless as he thinks--although that's easier to say from the outside looking in.

Group Leader
idk bro I kinda get him
like sometimes you just end up in a place where you don't rly vibe with anyone

Dex-chan lover
I like the dynamic and back and forth the main characters have and I'd say that really betrays the male leads desire to have a social life and friends to talk with. He's really good at witty comebacks and bouncing off 9f others. Even his internal monologue is based around responding to other people and their actions or commenting on the situation. I definitely understand the sentiment 8f it being difficult to make friends and not wanting to crash and burn, and it is a lot less painful to not try at all then try and repeatedly fail, but humans are social creatures. Really the only ones who can get back without forming some consistent social connections (without being negatively affect in terms of mental and emotional health/development) are sociopaths. I think if the MC just stopped and thought about how he felt about talking with the female lead after the incident brought them together he'd realize he's enjoying it on some level. He doesn't need a 100 friends, but a few good ones are kinda necessary to lead a healthy and enjoyable life.

I do think this is an easy outlook to fall into and is one of the reasons I kinda hate how the ideas of "introvert" and "extrovert" spread because they gave way to a lot of misconceptions.

Double-page supporter
This MC is a fucking piece of shit, I hate these kinds that "are too good to have friends" but revolves his thoughts around not having friends in the first place. He thinks like a moron but pretends he is not one. Such a loser, the gyaru was right in her statement, this guy is fucking disgusting, he's existence is a sin.

Dex-chan lover
This MC is a fucking piece of shit, I hate these kinds that "are too good to have friends" but revolves his thoughts around not having friends in the first place. He thinks like a moron but pretends he is not one. Such a loser, the gyaru was right in her statement, this guy is fucking disgusting, he's existence is a sin.
You shouldn't read this series then.

Honestly, he is just denying it. I've felt the same way as him before so I understand. If you don't convince yourself that you're a lone wolf and everything, you will end up crying about it every day or end up killing yourself. Not everyone can make friends. Trying too hard and they also think you're annoying.

Also that name on the shirt reminded me of how my high school graduating gown was the only one that was knee length. I gave the right size and then they either messed with it or something happened. Shit like this actually happens in real life folks. :shamihuh:

Group Leader
It's like the author tries to make another Hachiman but they miss the things that make Hachiman a great and relatable character to some degree.

Dex-chan lover
The situation is different here, but I am reminded of a news article I read some years back about a young woman who was quite introverted in high school and who was encouraged by her family to try to remake herself when she went to college. Nobody knew her reputation of being a loner, and she would be able to meet people in entirely different circumstances. She took that to heart and did make a lot of friends. She was popular somewhat, and things seemed to be going well with her.

And then she killed herself.

There's only so much that some people can tolerate. She was a person of great personal ability and resources, and she expended a lot of that trying to fulfill her family's wish that she have more friends and be more outgoing. But it seems that it really took a toll and she eventually reached the end of her self.

I have been diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum, but I'm pretty high functioning and my wife and I will be celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary at the end of this month. It hasn't been easy, especially for her, because I am really hard to understand. And so one day she was reading to me an article that was giving advice for people on the spectrum to be able to cultivate friendships. It talked about things that you can do and observations that you can make etc. It all sounded very helpful, and I know that she was really trying to help me. But mostly it sounded like a huge amount of work for nothing that I value. And so I had to tell her that an article ike that ignores a fundamental characteristic: that a person like myself does not actually want to have a lot of friends. A person like myself doesn't even find friendships to be particularly rewarding. There is really nothing of value to be gained for all of the effort that goes into cultivating a friendship and all of the ties and entailments that become part of the burden of friendship. And I do find friendship to be very much a burden in a lot of cases.

The thing is that extroverts really don't understand this. To them, being without friends or being unable to cultivate friendships is like a handicap. It is like a crippling disease or an amputation. There's a strange horror to it for them, and so it is very unnatural to accept that someone would prefer it.

Dex-chan lover
The situation is different here, but I am reminded of a news article I read some years back about a young woman who was quite introverted in high school and who was encouraged by her family to try to remake herself when she went to college. Nobody knew her reputation of being a loner, and she would be able to meet people in entirely different circumstances. She took that to heart and did make a lot of friends. She was popular somewhat, and things seemed to be going well with her.

And then she killed herself.

There's only so much that some people can tolerate. She was a person of great personal ability and resources, and she expended a lot of that trying to fulfill her family's wish that she have more friends and be more outgoing. But it seems that it really took a toll and she eventually reached the end of her self.

I have been diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum, but I'm pretty high functioning and my wife and I will be celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary at the end of this month. It hasn't been easy, especially for her, because I am really hard to understand. And so one day she was reading to me an article that was giving advice for people on the spectrum to be able to cultivate friendships. It talked about things that you can do and observations that you can make etc. It all sounded very helpful, and I know that she was really trying to help me. But mostly it sounded like a huge amount of work for nothing that I value. And so I had to tell her that an article ike that ignores a fundamental characteristic: that a person like myself does not actually want to have a lot of friends. A person like myself doesn't even find friendships to be particularly rewarding. There is really nothing of value to be gained for all of the effort that goes into cultivating a friendship and all of the ties and entailments that become part of the burden of friendship. And I do find friendship to be very much a burden in a lot of cases.

The thing is that extroverts really don't understand this. To them, being without friends or being unable to cultivate friendships is like a handicap. It is like a crippling disease or an amputation. There's a strange horror to it for them, and so it is very unnatural to accept that someone would prefer it.
But here is the thing. Having friends was a MC wish. He is not really happy being a loner, that's the difference.

Dex-chan lover
I do think the MC is naive and lazy when it comes to forming social relationships, he's overlooking or unaware of the possibility of having relationships that are deeper than just exchanging shallow pleasantries, but I also find the girl pretty annoying, the way she forces her worldview and values on the MC without permission. Maybe the MC would benefit from changing, but I also think he's entitled to make his own decisions about how he wants to live his life, even if it's not an ideal one. Like he said, she's not his mom.

But here is the thing. Having friends was a MC wish. He is not really happy being a loner, that's the difference.
Yeah, MC did want to make friends during the entrance ceremony, but he probably got worked up and bought into the whole friendship stuff before realizing that it's just too much effort for him and possibly also not meeting anyone he could vibe with, before subsequently just giving up on that idea. I think it's quite understandable.

Though, I also wonder if he has an over-idealized image of what friends should be, him being a LN author and such, which ends up working against him when he tries to make him or others fit into his mould of what friends should be. Sora's an exception since her circumstances are, as he says, special, so she doesn't end up being pigeonholed into this and he just treats her as she is.

Dex-chan lover
It's more like he is in self-denial.
When you have low self stem, you can create a narrative to protect yourself from pain.
He tried, he failed and this make things harder making him fail again.
This also probably changed his perspective of the world, so he really believes in his narrative.
But you can see that behind all the "lone wolf" stuff he makes clear he just thinks he is not able, he shows that he wished to have friends but give up.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, MC did want to make friends during the entrance ceremony, but he probably got worked up and bought into the whole friendship stuff before realizing that it's just too much effort for him and possibly also not meeting anyone he could vibe with, before subsequently just giving up on that idea. I think it's quite understandable.

Though, I also wonder if he has an over-idealized image of what friends should be, him being a LN author and such, which ends up working against him when he tries to make him or others fit into his mould of what friends should be. Sora's an exception since her circumstances are, as he says, special, so she doesn't end up being pigeonholed into this and he just treats her as she is.
All my perspectives on the MC are based on self experience, to be honest.
I was not exactly a loner, but I did have a period in my life in my school where the only thing I did in the recess was observing the other students groups and what they do.
I have even written an edge poem in my edge "dark mode" trying to be aggressive to my class because I believed everyone hated me.
In the end, people said they liked it. The simple fact my aggressive text didn't reach my goal made me change my life perspective.
So yeah, I really believe he don't want to be a lone wolf.

Nah man she’s WAYYYY too selfis, she really just wants him to become more popula so that she can meet him outside without ruining her reputation =_=

Users who are viewing this thread