Dungeon Meshi - Vol. 14 Ch. 97.5 - Extra - Monster Tidbits 14

Dex-chan lover
Kensuke truly the GOAT sticking by laios thru all this time

Dex-chan lover
lol. Izutsumi bringing back dead-creatures like a real cat.
My cats do the same thing, except they keep bringing back raw chicken from the neighbors.
but it's Izutsumi so she's charging for them lol

Aggregator gang
It's because it's a corruption of the original concept, which was that priests were generally forbidden weapons of war, and thus began to carry heavy blunt instruments, like a weapon-quality staff, club or mace disguised as a walking cane or walking staff. Furthermore, priests followed the principle of [sine effusione sanguinis], literally "shed no blood", and such meant that rounded maces and similar weapons (rather than spiked or flanged maces) would be used to bruise and break bones, but not shed blood externally, though they were no less lethal (and in fact more lethal in a great many more situations, due to how they interact with hardened targets, and how little soft armor would resist such blows on their own). They weren't entirely restricted from edged or pointed weaponry, however, due to both things like daggers and their gods' personal weapon of choice, which is why the "Favoured Weapon" system existed.

Mechanically, it ensured that the best weaponry was wielded by the full warrior of the party, and that the cleric, while still strong in a fight, had to utilize magic to stand toe to toe with the warrior, to balance out the casting in full armor without restriction as well as access to strong healing, buff, and combat magics.

But Hasbro and idiots that have no concept of history or why things are the way they are decided to throw it out the window because they thought it was stupid.
That's absolute nonsense.

Priests were never forbidden from weapons of war. And they didn't started to carry weapon-quality staff, clubs, or maces disguised as walking canes because of that.

Walking canes were popular among anyone who was travelling, and often served as improvised weapons. Various maces, staffs, clubs etc. were symbols of leadership and power since time immemorial. From Egyptians, Summerians, to Aztecs or Incas. Various leaders and generals, as well as anyone who was supposed to represent order, carried staff as a symbol.

Since wast array of different cultures had war-priests, priests that led soldiers to war, I will assume that the "Priest" in here is meant christian priest. But even then it is nonsense. See:

Where DnD got that nonsense is probably a combination of Bayeux tapestry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odo_of_Bayeux) and a stereotypical image of a crusader as a heavily armoured warrior wielding a mace to fight a similarly armoured opponent.

My point was that the DnD reasoning is absolute nonsense that doesn't make any sense, nice evidence that Gygax had no idea about weapons or anything medieval. But the terrifying thing is that people keep repeating it as if it was true historical fact.

Dex-chan lover
That's absolute nonsense.

Priests were never forbidden from weapons of war. And they didn't started to carry weapon-quality staff, clubs, or maces disguised as walking canes because of that.

Walking canes were popular among anyone who was travelling, and often served as improvised weapons. Various maces, staffs, clubs etc. were symbols of leadership and power since time immemorial. From Egyptians, Summerians, to Aztecs or Incas. Various leaders and generals, as well as anyone who was supposed to represent order, carried staff as a symbol.

Since wast array of different cultures had war-priests, priests that led soldiers to war, I will assume that the "Priest" in here is meant christian priest. But even then it is nonsense. See:

Where DnD got that nonsense is probably a combination of Bayeux tapestry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odo_of_Bayeux) and a stereotypical image of a crusader as a heavily armoured warrior wielding a mace to fight a similarly armoured opponent.

My point was that the DnD reasoning is absolute nonsense that doesn't make any sense, nice evidence that Gygax had no idea about weapons or anything medieval. But the terrifying thing is that people keep repeating it as if it was true historical fact.
Yes, they were. They were only allowed to be chaplains on the battlefield, as per canon law, during medieval times It was to the point that even participating as jury for a man condemned to death would be sufficient to disqualify one for ordination. (Ref: John Howard Yoder; Theodore J. Koontz; Andy Alexis-Baker. Christian Attitudes to War, Peace, and Revolution) The only exception was while travelling, one could wield "traveller's weapons", aka quarterstaves, walking canes, clubs, and the like, which, as I said, often were weapon-quality in the hands of priests. And of course you should assume Christian, considering the origin of the Cleric.

Thank you for proving that you are one of the idiots that have no concept of history or why things are the way they are and decided to throw it out the window because you thought it was stupid, though.

Aggregator gang
Yes, they were. They were only allowed to be chaplains on the battlefield, as per canon law, during medieval times It was to the point that even participating as jury for a man condemned to death would be sufficient to disqualify one for ordination. (Ref: John Howard Yoder; Theodore J. Koontz; Andy Alexis-Baker. Christian Attitudes to War, Peace, and Revolution) The only exception was while travelling, one could wield "traveller's weapons", aka quarterstaves, walking canes, clubs, and the like, which, as I said, often were weapon-quality in the hands of priests. And of course you should assume Christian, considering the origin of the Cleric.

Thank you for proving that you are one of the idiots that have no concept of history or why things are the way they are and decided to throw it out the window because you thought it was stupid, though.
Did you even read the link to the /r/AskHistorians? There are several examples noted that this was fine.

The passage that you are referring yourself does not contain any citation or reference, it is just a statement. In fact, the very page contains a quote that specifically mentions the possibility of clergymen to carry a sword in a dangerous part of town.

As a fellow history enjoyer and old D&D uncle, I completely agree with you. I've been playing D&D since it was called AD&D and I was also able to play the first edition once.

By the way, kids, don't rely on wikipedia or reddit to get any info for real. They are very biased.

Dex-chan lover
As a fellow history enjoyer and old D&D uncle, I completely agree with you. I've been playing D&D since it was called AD&D and I was also able to play the first edition once.

By the way, kids, don't rely on wikipedia or reddit to get any info for real. They are very biased.
A fellow grognard! armclasp into single firm shake

Dex-chan lover
Well... yeah, but I think she consumed it because the others had eaten most of the dragon's body, allowing Fallin to overpower the spirit and take control of her body again.

But because of the very complex manner their souls had been merged, completely expunging the dragon from her is virtually impossible, just like Izutsumi is forever fated to be half-cat.

Well, that is at least how I interpret it based on the conversation about how soul merging works in this series, and have to admit... not all details are fresh in my mind.

Great excuse for a reread XD.
No, the spell they were using to resurrect her would have expunged that bit, you can see it working with the dragon shrinking and then getting left behind as Farlin heads towards the food smell, but she runs back for it and even feeds it bits of her Faligon body.

Users who are viewing this thread