Favorite Anime OST

Yo Ima let you finish but Gundam Unicorn has the best OST and sound directing of all time. I sometime see these shows where there's a half-decent OST but it gets pushed so far back into the background that it might as well not even be there. (e.g. Shield-bro from the recently aired stuff. They play "epic music" but it's not well timed, doesn't align to anything, doesn't match to any characters, might not even notice it if you weren't specifically looking for it. )

On that note, Sawano Hiroyuki isn't getting enough love in this thread. Dude is literally in a class of his own. I see the popular stuff mentioned (like Shingeki no Kyojin, Kill la Kill, Guilty Crown) but some of the real gems are ones like: Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, Aldnoah Zero, Re:Creators, Owari no Seraph. AFAIK, they didn't get quite as much love in the west due to meh plot/writing, but the soundtrack and sound directing are god-tier.

I think Key/Visual Arts/Maeda Jun (Kanon, Air, Clannad, Angel Beats, Little Busters, Charlotte, Rewrite) deserves a mention as a package. They're all pretty good.

Most of the "little girls make music" animes have good music throughout, but I also kinda feel like obviously they should... (K-ON, Love Live, WUG, etc)

One last show that I think deserves an honorable mention: Trinity Seven - Memorable themes. Good sound directing. EDs are all surprisingly high quality character songs

Double-page supporter
Other than the already mentioned Death Note, I'd say Kyoukai no Kanata and Detective Conan (might be biased because I'm a huge fan, but I can't get enough of that jazzy music haha).
Also, not from a series, but movies like Paprika and Millennium Actress made me discover Susumu Hirasawa, his pieces are amazing!

Dex-chan lover
There a lot but to name a few Full metal alchemist/brotherhood ost. Cowboy bebop, Outlaws stars ost still hits me today (especially the ending theme hiru no tsuki to each episode).

Chrono Crusade had a great ost. Great.....now I’m starting to have nostalgia glasses on. Rurouni Kenshin Had a great ost. Almost forgot saint seiya.

I enjoyed listening to both berserks/goblin slayers theme for the “boss fight levels” of music (surprised that dark souls hasn’t been turned to a anime as I love the ost.)

Recently been obsessed with You Say Run from My Hero Academia

The best thing to come out of Aldnoah.Zero is its music! The OST MKAlieZ is awesome
Let the Stars Fall Down from Fate/Zero, Numquam Vincar and credens justitiam from Madoka Magica, She has to overcome her fear and Luminous Sword from SAO.... basically, Yuki Kajiura is a god.
Shinkai and Neji from Elfen Lied are especially chilling

Also, Lost My Pieces from ToraDora!

bep

I absolutely love the music from Macross, Area 88, Shin Getter Robo, City Hunter, MD Geist, Blue Comet SPT Layzner, and Votoms.
Find myself listening to tracks from them quite often.
Special mention goes to Hokuto no Ken 2 since I don't like the overall OST but "Kill the Fight" and "Tough Boy" slap.

Emiya-san Chi No Kyou No Gohan and Ikkoku Meiro no Croisee are pretty neat as casual background music for daily activities.

Also, Masaru Yokoyama is very talented and prolific composer fluent in wide array of genres and musical styles.

Inuyasha. Between downloads and actual physical cds bought at cons, I think I have almost everything-even the symphonic cd. Do As Infinity's Fukai Mori is the one reason I even got into anime and manga; loved it and Sesshomaru's theme when watching a random ep with friends, looked things up, snowballed.

Group Leader
I absolutely love anything composed by Yuuki Kajiura. Her soundtracks in Kara no Kyoukai are phenomenal and I can listen to it for hours. Prominent among those OSTs are:
1. Thanatos [M12+M13]
2. Paradox Spiral [M24]
3. Every Cry, Never Life [M13+M14]

A few other favourites:
[ul]Katharsis (Tokyo Ghoul)
Reimei (Golden Kamui)
Climber's High (Fuuka)
Wings of Light (Fuuka)
Pride Kakumei (Gintama)
Everyday World (OreGairu)
Uchiage Hanabi (Uchiage Hanabi)
Sekai wa Koi ni Ochiteiru (Ao Haru Ride)
Orange and Kirameki (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)
Koi no Jumyou (Magic Kaito 1412)
Kawaki wo Ameku (Domestic na Kanojo)
Fanfare (Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai)
and probably every OST in Kimi no na wa. You won't regret downloading the full album.[/ul]

Dex-chan lover
OST composed by Yuki Kajiura, she's a godsend from anime ost heaven
you can find her works on some fate series, SAO, magic girl fuckery madoka magica, Kara no kyoukai, etc. one of her recent work is in Kimetsu no Yaiba.

and speaking of kimetsu no yaiba, ED for EPS 19 is awesome, composed by Go Shiina.

other notable anime with great ost:
mahoutsukai no yome
houseki no kuni
yuru camp
jojo ost is one of not gay things in jojo, fight me

edit: everything i list is already suggested in others' comment, now i feel sad for not able to give a better suggestion

Faulcouner 's dbz tracks are great even though he himself ain't a great person. That is the biggest induvidual series of tracks that I listen to but I do like a lot of other OSTs.

Any jam song from Lisa and ASCA (Most from SAO OPs and EDs.)
Hitorigoto by Claris.
Rhapsody of the Blue Sky and Hello My World by Fhana.
Sugar Song and Bitter Step by Unison Square Garden
All hype OSTs from Naruto and One Piece.

Most of all piano versions of great Anime OST covered by Animenz are dope 🤩

Unravel
No Game No Life
A Cruel Angel's Thesis
and so many more!

Double-page supporter
OST as a whole: Bartender's OST. Very jazzy.

OP: MUKANJO - Survive Said The Prophet, My Hero - MWAM, Wild Side -ALI, Inferno - Mrs. Green Apple, Gospel Of The Throttle - Minutes Till Midnight and Fire Ground - Official Hige Dandyism

ED: Hibana - The Sixth Lie, Drown - milet, Snowdrop - nano.RIPE, Hiizuru Basho - Omedetai Atama De Naniyori , 1/3 Junjo na Kanjo - Siam Shade, Let It Out -Fukuhara Miho and Motherland -Crystal Kay

Aggregator gang
what about Saviour of Song from Arpeggio of Blue Steel? its also nice~
and especially Digimon OST by late Koji Wada

Users who are viewing this thread