Furoufushi Shoujo no Naedoko Ryokouki - Ch. 3.1 - Slime and Karon lakeside (I)

Dex-chan lover
Let me predict the future:
The monsters born from her will be too strong and humanity will be at risk of extinction, and only she can help stop 'em. The problem is she can't come to kill her own hell spawn.

Then again maybe the author will just write some bullshit like her now controlling all the strong monsters and use them to kill other monsters not under her control, help the humanity and coexist with them, because you know being an immortal broodmother and all that.
Or she becomes the demon queen lol

Dex-chan lover
in the WN its implied the one that's regularly culled is the overgrown one, not just slime in general, its one of the reason slime stays in D-rank, because the violent one (the overgrown) are regularly hunted
So it's a mistranslation about them being pollutant increasers when the population grows, and is just about them being a threat?

Dex-chan lover
So it's a mistranslation about them being pollutant increasers when the population grows, and is just about them being a threat?
its not mistranslation, its more of context lost when the WN translated to manga

in the WN its more or less like this,
"the slime absorb pollution and store it inside their body, however, they will vomit the pollution back when absorbed too much, polluting important river, while the polluted slime should be culled as fast as possible, the pollution made them more violent"

so the periodical culling are more of manga original, much like the part when the manga show plute experiment with golem, while the WN didn't said anything about golem

• Helpful
Reactions: GK
Dex-chan lover
My words she's hot!
Also I wonder if all the interactions with monsters will be as wholesome as the one with Tentacle-san.
I'd say yes, but you never know.
Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
its not mistranslation, its more of context lost when the WN translated to manga

in the WN its more or less like this,
"the slime absorb pollution and store it inside their body, however, they will vomit the pollution back when absorbed too much, polluting important river, while the polluted slime should be culled as fast as possible, the pollution made them more violent"

so the periodical culling are more of manga original, much like the part when the manga show plute experiment with golem, while the WN didn't said anything about golem
That is 100% a mistranslation, then. Here's the text from the translation:
"They're known to filter feed and remove pollution. However, upon overgrowth, they cause pollution. So, they have to be regularly culled."

This is found on Page 6. They don't cause pollution, they regurgitate it. That's the key mistake here.

Here's the raw:

and here's the original text stripped from the raw, and my slightly edited MTL translation
[彼らは水中の汚れを吸収する性質を持つが・・・] "They have the property of absorbing impurities in the water..."
[溜め込みすぎると今度は汚れを放出してしまう] "If it accumulates too much, it will release the impurities."
[なので定期的に討伐を行わなければならない] "Therefore, it is necessary to carry out subjugation regularly."

[汚れ] "Kegare" means "dirt", "impurity", "pollution", so they aren't entirely off-base with referring to it as pollution, but what the slimes feed on is not "pollution" in the sense that is understood in English, where it is something introduced to the water system from outside of it, but any sort of impurities in the water whatsoever, including things like fish waste or similar.

[溜め込み] "Tamekomi" means "hoarding", with the concept of "to store and put away". [すぎる] "Sugiru" means "too much". [今度] "Kondo" means "next time" in the sense of the near future.

So it really is just talking about slimes accumulating impurities then ejecting them when it gets to be too much; almost like the next stage of evolution from pearl oysters. Nothing to do with "overgrowth", which would be directed towards too high of a slime population.

Pinging @SS_TT so they can see this as well.

Dex-chan lover
"They're known to filter feed and remove pollution. However, upon overgrowth, they cause pollution. So, they have to be regularly culled."

This is found on Page 6. They don't cause pollution, they regurgitate it. That's the key mistake here.

Here's the raw:

and here's the original text stripped from the raw, and my slightly edited MTL translation
[彼らは水中の汚れを吸収する性質を持つが・・・] "They have the property of absorbing impurities in the water..."
[溜め込みすぎると今度は汚れを放出してしまう] "If it accumulates too much, it will release the impurities."
[なので定期的に討伐を行わなければならない] "Therefore, it is necessary to carry out subjugation regularly."

[汚れ] "Kegare" means "dirt", "impurity", "pollution", so they aren't entirely off-base with referring to it as pollution, but what the slimes feed on is not "pollution" in the sense that is understood in English, where it is something introduced to the water system from outside of it, but any sort of impurities in the water whatsoever, including things like fish waste or similar.

[溜め込み] "Tamekomi" means "hoarding", with the concept of "to store and put away". [すぎる] "Sugiru" means "too much". [今度] "Kondo" means "next time" in the sense of the near future.

So it really is just talking about slimes accumulating impurities then ejecting them when it gets to be too much; almost like the next stage of evolution from pearl oysters. Nothing to do with "overgrowth", which would be directed towards too high of a slime population.

Pinging SS_TT so they can see this as well.
i do check/read the RAW, but for me i interpret the overgrowth in the manga TL as getting too big because they absorb too many "pollution" and not read it as they multiplying too much, so i didn't see it as mistranslation, maybe i came to that conclusion because i read the WN

i do agree pollution can be substituted with impurities, contamination, or waste, i use pollution mainly to draw parallel with the manga TL, i can read JP, i just skimping on memorizing kanji
:wtf:

Dex-chan lover
i do check/read the RAW, but for me i interpret the overgrowth in the manga TL as getting too big because they absorb too many "pollution" and not read it as they multiplying too much, so i didn't see it as mistranslation, maybe i came to that conclusion because i read the WN

i do agree pollution can be substituted with impurities, contamination, or waste, i use pollution mainly to draw parallel with the manga TL, i can read JP, i just skimping on memorizing kanji
:wtf:
"Overgrowth" is derived from "Overgrown", which has the meaning of "An excessive growth or increase in numbers, as in a population of weeds or microbes"; an example would be like this ivy, which has grown over that building and fence; the excess foliage is called "overgrowth". Similarly, the excess weeds, grass, and/or ferns in the soil below would also be called "overgrowth". In cellular biology, it would refer to an excess proliferation of cells while the cells themselves remain the same size; an example of this would be bacterial or virus reproduction, where a higher volume means a greater chance for a successful infection. For an increase in cell size, which would be according to the concept of slimes(amoebas) growing larger, that would be hypertrophy, instead.

As for "pollution", that was more a secondary note pointing out the incorrect word was used there, simply because of the English meaning of the word, versus the general concept of the word in Japanese. Basically, pollution is an impurity, but impurities are not conceptually considered pollution, in English, even if they technically are "polluting" whatever they are in. I hope that makes sense.

Dex-chan lover
"Overgrowth" is derived from "Overgrown", which has the meaning of "An excessive growth or increase in numbers, as in a population of weeds or microbes"; an example would be like this ivy, which has grown over that building and fence; the excess foliage is called "overgrowth". Similarly, the excess weeds, grass, and/or ferns in the soil below would also be called "overgrowth". In cellular biology, it would refer to an excess proliferation of cells while the cells themselves remain the same size; an example of this would be bacterial or virus reproduction, where a higher volume means a greater chance for a successful infection. For an increase in cell size, which would be according to the concept of slimes(amoebas) growing larger, that would be hypertrophy, instead.

As for "pollution", that was more a secondary note pointing out the incorrect word was used there, simply because of the English meaning of the word, versus the general concept of the word in Japanese. Basically, pollution is an impurity, but impurities are not conceptually considered pollution, in English, even if they technically are "polluting" whatever they are in. I hope that makes sense.
well, when i read them in TL i read the overgrowth as in excessive growth in size, basically prefix over- as in excessive + growth as in process of growing, and not the definition of overgrowth, maybe the group TL-er leaning on this take too, probably because text box constraint, but if we follow the definition of overgrowth you typed, the TL does became a mistranslation

for the pollution, i do understand what you're trying to say

Dex-chan lover
Ain't no way this is now #1 on trending, LOL. Ya'll are degens. (says as they've had it bookmarked since ch 1.)

Group Leader

Here's the raw:

Pinging @SS_TT so they can see this as well.
The thing is, there's not too much of a difference between this and the translation I've done. Sure there's some context lost, but on the other hand, I have to be mindful about just how much text I can cram in to the box as well.

Dex-chan lover
The thing is, there's not too much of a difference between this and the translation I've done. Sure there's some context lost, but on the other hand, I have to be mindful about just how much text I can cram in to the box as well.
The difference is in the meaning conveyed itself, not just context (clarification of meaning).

I'm shit at typesetting, and didn't spend much effort here with default font and just reducing the font size a little, but I still got it all in just fine.

You can change other words to their synonyms, as I did here with 'accumulate' and 'collect', where their meanings actually match, rather than substituting other words that don't, like 'overgrowth'.

Fed-Kun's army
IMG-7531.jpg

What the Fuck, Man

Dex-chan lover
I like it when comments section of a borderline hentai smut turns in to a linguistic essays for Japanease :D

Dex-chan lover
honestly at this point they might as well draw a hentai and i'd read the fuck out of that because the artstyle and the kink are pretty to my taste
meanwhile this "supposedly" smut manga is like being blue balled

• This
Reactions: GK
Dex-chan lover
This chapter, tho still interesting, is a bit of a letdown after the frantic smut that came before. Hoping for more vile doings ahead :glee:

Users who are viewing this thread