Gal to Iinchou ga Guuzen Saikai suru Hanashi - Ch. 10

Dex-chan lover
a word is defined by how the majority uses it, and i never heard anyone in real life associating bourgeoisie with karl marx
I think the majority of times that I've heard this word being used was from people who are either very left winged or trying to be fancy

Dex-chan lover
I think the majority of times that I've heard this word being used was from people who are either very left winged or trying to be fancy
in france it's more common to say "bourg" (said bourj) but regardless, everytime marxism or communism had nothing to do with it

Dex-chan lover
In my language it just means a rich person/business owner, the political implication of the term hasn't changed in itself
talking about in general political scheme. in french, sure, it hasnt changed because it comes from french, but elsewhere?

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
a word is defined by how the majority uses it, and i never heard anyone in real life associating bourgeoisie with karl marx
You wouldn't associate the "bourgeoisie" with Karl Marx anyway because they are the antagonists of proletarian revolution. But yes, outside of France it came into popular use through the meaning in Marxist theory rather than a more literal translation of the original word.

Dex-chan lover
talking about in general political scheme. in french, sure, it hasnt changed because it comes from french, but elsewhere?
i highly doubt the japanese are talking about a social class that existed in europe from the middle ages to the 19th century
well we would need an author's note but considering how close japan and france is, i would bet on the french way than the rest

Dex-chan lover
You wouldn't associate the "bourgeoisie" with Karl Marx anyway because they are the antagonists of proletarian revolution. But yes, outside of France it came into popular use through the meaning in Marxist theory rather than a more literal translation of the original word.
i don't know every country so i can't say if it's true or not, but if it is, it's depressing to see my own language deformed and misused for communism bullshit propaganda

Dex-chan lover
because thats not how borrowing from other languages work?
if you use a word from a foreign language and it doesn't meet the original definition and somehow you want to give it a new definition, i'm not the one in the wrong

Dex-chan lover
if you use a word from a foreign language and it doesn't meet the original definition and somehow you want to give it a new definition, i'm not the one in the wrong
im not saying anything is wrong, im just saying that thats not how language borrowing (the word has first been documented in english in the early 1600s) and the semantic drift that can happen to a word works. im certain french has many a few cases of the same thing from words it borrowed.

Supporter
This isn’t really the place to litigate how wrong you are, so Imma just say that the French insistence on linguistic prescriptivism is one of the reasons French is no longer the lingua franca. An inflexible language is eventually a dead language.

Dex-chan lover
im not saying anything is wrong, im just saying that thats not how language borrowing (the word has first been documented in english in the early 1600s) and the semantic drift that can happen to a word works. im certain french has many a few cases of the same thing from words it borrowed.
(i'm guessing you never heard of guillaume the conqueror if you think english is a good argument)

Dex-chan lover
(i'm guessing you never heard of guillaume the conqueror if you think english is a good argument)
oh no im aware of william the conquerer and that modern english is like 40% french in origin, but even that just shows how borrowing from a language can cause words to mean different things.

Dex-chan lover
oh no im aware of william the conquerer and that modern english is like 40% french in origin, but even that just shows how borrowing from a language can cause words to mean different things.
ok whatever if y'all what to miuse french words, do as you want, you can't force french people to do the same anyway

Users who are viewing this thread