Gal to Iinchou ga Guuzen Saikai suru Hanashi - Ch. 10

Dex-chan lover
BRO chill a bloody little! you acuse some one of god damn nationalist and now you DOUBLE DOWN? how about YOU chill a LITTEL buddy!
Chill out brooo, it was nothing serious. Honestly its kinda comical at this point

The fact the translation note was there to begin with is the funniest part to me because i dont know if anyone would actually consider it to be "marxist propaganda" because it was used to describe rich people even before the French Revolution. (Which the president doesnt even classify as because she is a wage slave, but i think it kinda fits that the gyaru character would be saying it because it makes it seem like she is using big words to sound smart lol)

Also random fact: i learned Karl Marx could in fact speak French and lived in France for a time soooo... yeah

Last edited:
Group Leader
Personal advice: If you have a character speaking softly or mumbling, try to replicate the spacing presented instead of writing "mumble," because sometimes even that can be deciphered.

Like in this case, where it’s pretty clear that she says "__ 委員長 さよーならー" as in, "__, Good bye, Class President" (With this "Good Bye" being one you say to someone you don't think you'll see again), with the first blank space being something like "jaa" or "saa," as in "Well then," "Now," or something similar (なら... instead of ならー would work too), just by noticing the spacing. (and with, of course, her expression and overall tone of the scene)

9GO47Bb.png
I think that's a pretty good interpretation of what she's saying, but it's ultimately an interpretation I'd feel uncomfortable presenting as if it's true. There's a number of other things it could be, even if I think you might be right. Seeing it as さよーならー is very much confirmation bias to me. It could be that, but we're ignoring so many other options because it fits nicely. IMO it's one of those things you just have to discard when translating when you can't talk to the author about it to be sure.

And also to comment on the usage of bourgeoisie, using the word "rich" or "upper-class" wouldn't work as the translation. The context is that Kurosaki throws out a complicated term that the Prez doesn't understand. Leaving it as bourgeoisie works just fine imo. And the idea that it has NO connotation of being involved with Marxism in Japanese is just wrong, but I don't have much interest in getting into that.

Last edited:
Group Leader
I do agree I shouldn't have presented my opinion as fact, this was wrong on my side, as my take was influenced by my personal discord, which had already filled with speculation back when the JP chapter was released, and especially how we got confirmation in the very next chapter. But also, this happened because of how the mangaka presented the scene and the speech bubble. But you're right, it was pure speculation.

Also, さよーならー is a very common way of saying it because it adds emotion, though I would personally go for さよーなら... as the better choice because it fits the scene's tone better. Also, random, but this reminds me of the super viral hit that Yonezu recently released, さよーならまたいつか.
Actually looking back at my script file I didn't suggest editing that bubble at all, just translating the sfx at the side of the bubble. So you can blame hamu entirely. Heh heh... Fault completely passed on... I'm in favour of leaving stuff like that entirely untouched generally. So I do agree with you on what the best option is but, hey, I wasn't the one in charge of typsetting. Teehee

And I also wrote the TL script when chapter 11 wasn't out, so I had no idea what she said (and I would've never guessed the actual answer, personally.) I think it's very silly that both characters heard what she said and the reader is left out of the loop for exactly one page, but that's serialised manga for you.

Dex-chan lover
Actually looking back at my script file I didn't suggest editing that bubble at all, just translating the sfx at the side of the bubble. So you can blame hamu entirely. Heh heh... Fault completely passed on... I'm in favour of leaving stuff like that entirely untouched generally. So I do agree with you on what the best option is but, hey, I wasn't the one in charge of typsetting. Teehee

And I also wrote the TL script when chapter 11 wasn't out, so I had no idea what she said (and I would've never guessed the actual answer, personally.) I think it's very silly that both characters heard what she said and the reader is left out of the loop for exactly one page, but that's serialised manga for you.

You know what, ignore everything I just said.

I just went back to the raws of chapter 11 and my dumb ass realized that I never saw the first page, where it is revealed what she says. It turns out she said something different from what I originally thought. (By confirmation, I meant the development of the next arc fitted what I thought she said.) But yeah, I was absolutely wrong in that regard.

I'm in favour of leaving stuff like that entirely untouched generally.
I 100% agree.

Of course, when it comes to how to handle onomatopoeias and other such elements, every translator/typesetter has their own style, so there's not really a hard answer. I personally know a few who, even on official translations, would have put "..." and left it at that. (Especially if they're part of a simulpub, where they have insane deadlines and go for the most barebones option to convey things at large while keeping a certain threshold of quality... well, in most cases... and that's it.) But I still agree that, in most cases where ambiguity is what's being shown, leaving things as they are is the better choice.

Of course, overall, it's a minor thing that won't have a large effect, but it is still something that I've seen fan translators adopt and turn into habits that later become hard to break.

Last edited:
Supporter
it existed as a class for longer than marx yes, but nowadays it is mainly used in the marxist sense unless you can show a modern example of a nation with a defined "bourgeois" class between peasantry and aristocracy.
Well, at least in German there are two different uses or definitions.

The first one is kind of seldom used: middle class or upper middle class
Second, specific only in Marxism: ruler class

Oh, and by the way: in France there is only one meaning: middle class or civil society (at least to my dicitionaey)

So, sorry, but your definition of a worldwide onesided meaning seems faulty.

Supporter
- Edit: I really should read all comments first -

Last edited:
Supporter
Well the original seems not to be there anymore, but nonetheless, the picture in this reply tells an interesting story about "MUMBLE"

Where does this clear script come from. There are only the small unreadable lines in the official raws. Someone just added his own wishes.

Or if some think otherwise, please send a link for verification.
Look for yourself: https://shonenjumpplus.com/episode/17106371852950440295

Supporter
- Same as last edit -
(Is there really no delete button?)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
So, sorry, but your definition of a worldwide onesided meaning seems faulty.
i never said it was globally onesided but okay, if thats what you took it as. was referring to within the scope of its meaning in the english language.

Supporter
i never said it was globally onesided but okay, if thats what you took it as. was referring to within the scope of its meaning in the english language.
Really? Which english do you refer to?
American, British, Irisch, New Zealand, Australian, Canadian, Falkland, Liberian, Scottish, Southafrican .... Well, please tell me, do you really know all of them?

Users who are viewing this thread